ALDI KAMADO

andya

Played with mine this weekend following a quick call to Aldi to get a £50 refund. So far I've cooked lamb adana, vegetables and flat breads and roasted a chicken on Sunday. Really happy with the results. I'm not at the set and forget stage but control hasn't been too tricky. Just remember to remove the deflector when cranking it up..... live and learn, doh!  

Edited by Toucs
  • Like 3

I don't know if the person who posted this on the FB group is on here, but this is a recent update from Aldi that I thought is worth sharing:

Just a heads up on any damaged ones if you have yet to receive or not reported it,aldi are no longer offering partial refunds if you keep the AK after reporting any damage how ever minor. Their manufacturer have now advised them from a health and safety point of view to collect any damaged ones and they will offer a full refund as there is no stock left to replace.

I've not accepted the £75 the offered me yet, I wanted to test the Kamado first. So it may be a good idea for those who have accepted still have their 3 year warranty in tact. I'm going to call them later today to see if I'll still be able to get what they offered with the warranty, if not, then I will be returning it.

@MarkG av got it set up and fired up just nervous on cranking it up incase anything happens i have been told by warranty team any cracks wont be replaced or refunded, also the fire box does not sit flat and is rather annoying, i feel as i am new to the bbq’ing world really i may of jumped in head first into something a little to advanced to start, i found the master touch premium looks like a nice bit of kit with a good few features that i could practice with and also use it as a standard bbq if required, also the size i like the look of something a bit bigger. 

Don't get me wrong i love the look of the kamado and the videos of some food i have watched looks amazing. 

just in 2 minds really going to have another play tonight and see. 

@Airtime0007 @Ferdi thanks for the reply's 

• Like 1

@liam Yeah it's not ideal if you're going to be nervous about the damage. Mine is going back because Aldi wont give a partial refund now after La Hacienda have been in contact with them. It's also my first BBQ, so I didn't want to spend the big money until I knew it was for me. The Weber seems like an option for me at the moment, and then keep an out out on off-season sales.

12 hours ago, liam said:

@MarkG av got it set up and fired up just nervous on cranking it up incase anything happens i have been told by warranty team any cracks wont be replaced or refunded, also the fire box does not sit flat and is rather annoying, i feel as i am new to the bbq’ing world really i may of jumped in head first into something a little to advanced to start, i found the master touch premium looks like a nice bit of kit with a good few features that i could practice with and also use it as a standard bbq if required, also the size i like the look of something a bit bigger. 

Don't get me wrong i love the look of the kamado and the videos of some food i have watched looks amazing. 

The weber master touch is a great piece of kit that will last. You can can get 16 hours out of minion  snake method lo and slo. And you can cold smoke in it. It is a versitile piece of kit that is to be loved. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Toucs said:

Played with mine this weekend following a quick call to Aldi to get a £50 refund. So far I've cooked lamb adana, vegetables and flat breads and roasted a chicken on Sunday. Really happy with the results. I'm not at the set and forget stage but control hasn't been too tricky. Just remember to remove the deflector when cranking it up..... live and learn, doh!  

Post some pics up of food if you remember lol 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, liam said:

I’d send it back if broken . Kamado cooking is a small learning curve . But you will get the hang of it persevering . On my small kamado I  found if I mixed some lumpwood on top of briquettes I got an even burn . I initially put coals all into one side then rake over . And then add some later on if required 

Always keeps top vent fully open . And soon you see it chug away . 

What are you finding daunting ? Remember we all make mistakes and best way to learn is to royally f@%* it up once ! 

And it’s not burnt ... It’s caramelised!!! 

So here's the chicken. I followed a recipe from the Pitt Cue recipe book. House rub mixed with chipotle paste, butter and roasted garlic paste. Had to substitute the chipotle for harissa as popping down the shops wasnt an option. Sadly I was low on charcoal so couldn't get the temp up to crisp it all up towards the end. Cooked and 150 for probably 90 minutes, 75 degrees on the probe. It was juicy and the flesh was turning pinkish with the smoking. Definitely more hot smoked than roasted. The left overs crisped up nicely in the oven the next day. First big lump off the grill, and I'll take that!

Pulled pork this weekend...

20190519_192220.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Toucs that chicken looks great!

Beef short ribs for my first effort, 6 hours at about 120, half the time open half wrapped in foil. Dry rub in the fridge for a while before.

I’m having a daisy wheel problem though - I can only move the whole lid on the pivot, not open the smaller holes. Anyone else having that problem / am I being dumb? The plate with the holes won’t turn independently 🤔

162150BF-30CE-4C50-B391-36AA49F6E0E3.jpeg

2F76D8F4-F00E-4AC5-8016-69C3839C4AAD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Toucs said:

So here's the chicken. I followed a recipe from the Pitt Cue recipe book. House rub mixed with chipotle paste, butter and roasted garlic paste. Had to substitute the chipotle for harissa as popping down the shops wasnt an option. Sadly I was low on charcoal so couldn't get the temp up to crisp it all up towards the end. Cooked and 150 for probably 90 minutes, 75 degrees on the probe. It was juicy and the flesh was turning pinkish with the smoking. Definitely more hot smoked than roasted. The left overs crisped up nicely in the oven the next day. First big lump off the grill, and I'll take that!

Pulled pork this weekend...

20190519_192220.jpg

1 minute ago, Captain73 said:

Beef short ribs for my first effort, 6 hours at about 120, half the time open half wrapped in foil. Dry rub in the fridge for a while before.

I’m having a daisy wheel problem though - I can only move the whole lid on the pivot, not open the smaller holes. Anyone else having that problem / am I being dumb? The plate with the holes won’t turn independently 🤔

These look great 👍.

I would start new threads in the Kamado Section for your cooks, this way they will not get tied up in the Aldi commotion.

7 minutes ago, Captain73 said:

They can get stiff . Use a screwdriver on the underside  ? Might need to loosen it up then add a bit of cooking oil . 

Have you tried moving it when heated up? 

Edited by Raptor72

20 minutes ago, Captain73 said:

Yes, mine was sticking shut after cooling down post cook, both the daisy wheel and the main part. Seems to have eased off now after around a weeks worth or so of cooks.

My Aldi kamado never arrived, ordered on 4th May, then 9th email from Aldi saying it had been dispatched 10May email from xpd saying collected from aldi then... nothing

i emailed xpd  as 5 working days passed they got back saying they never recieved it ,back onto Aldi said we'll look into it and get back to you  4 days later they called me and said it was lost in transit and no more in stock ,was half disappointed half not cause of all the damaged ones i've read about anyway they apoligised refunded my money in a day and gave me a 25 pound voucher . does anyone know where i can get a similar kamado round about the same price 350, ive got a weber 57cm original which i love but heard good things about kamados.

Tedmus, thanks for morrisons info......my Aldi Kamado is being delivered tomorrow.  Having read all the valuable points / concerns on here ie look for damage  / aldi no longer offering partial refund.  now have a choice!

If Aldi v Morrisons Kamado, which is better?

2 minutes ago, jules said:

Tedmus, thanks for morrisons info......my Aldi Kamado is being delivered tomorrow.  Having read all the valuable points / concerns on here ie look for damage  / aldi no longer offering partial refund.  now have a choice!

If Aldi v Morrisons Kamado, which is better?

Morrisons one is from the same manufacturer, just a bigger size. Bear in mind you would need to collect one from Morrisons as they only sell in store.

• 2 weeks later...

Mines just arrived and I think its all fine apart from the felt pads that sit in the frame to isolate the bowl from the frame. How on earth do you get those to stick on. Either the backing comes off completely leaving an entirely felt pad or you manage to get between the layers and you are just left with a felt pad on furry paper. Doesn't seem to be any sort of adhesive to get at.

Any ideas?