ALDI KAMADO

andya

42 minutes ago, liam said:

@MarkG sounds good mark but what do you think they will say if it cracks ? 

I fired mine up last night to about 200 celsius to see if the crack on the inside changed, am going to give the warranty team a call today and actually ask them what they cover as if the ceramic isn't covered what is the frame and side shelves !!  

Also the outside of my ceramic got pretty hot i thought they didn't get that hot on the outside.??  

Am new so could be wrong just thought i read they didnt. 

If it cracks because of that issue then they will refund the rest of the cost, so if in 1 year it breaks, I'll get my money back. I don't know how they'd determine it was from the arrival damage, but it just seems like a no-question refund right now because the damage as been logged on my order.

40 minutes ago, Justin said:

I am not going near one of these, i do not get it., My Weber kettle has lasted some 15 years plus  and is still going strong. Such a versatile piece of kit too..  Why are these ceramic ones so short term on guarantees?

I did look a Kettles, but it seemed like the Kamado was better for the low and slow 8-12 cook, without need for much intervention. I guess the short term ones are due to using cheaper materials, so eventually they will give up, unlike the KJ and BGE with their lifetime warranties.

4 minutes ago, MarkG said:

If it cracks because of that issue then they will refund the rest of the cost, so if in 1 year it breaks, I'll get my money back. I don't know how they'd determine it was from the arrival damage, but it just seems like a no-question refund right now because the damage as been logged on my order.

Assuming they honour their commitment and do not say the crack is not down to the chip but wear and tear use heat conditioning etc. 1 year is a very limited guarantee. It should last decades with care and maintenance.

2 hours ago, Airtime0007 said:

My suspicion is that it’s due to the fact that the retailer is also an agent for Kamado Joe. If it wasn’t for the difference in warranty there would be very little to differentiate between the two to the casual observer. Who manufactures the ceramic for Kamado Joe? Anyone know that it isn’t Auplex?

Over on KamadoGuru someone suggested they were the same factory and two people claiming to have inside knowledge of the KJ fiery denied it. 

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/28546-material-comparison-of-auplex-and-bge-kamado-from-auplex/#comments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Assuming they honour their commitment and do not say the crack is not down to the chip but wear and tear use heat conditioning etc. 1 year is a very limited guarantee. It should last decades with care and maintenance.

Yeah I think I need to ring again and get them to confirm that too. At first it seemed great, but now it seems iffy without further clarification.

4 hours ago, liam said:

@MarkG sounds good mark but what do you think they will say if it cracks ? 

I fired mine up last night to about 200 celsius to see if the crack on the inside changed, am going to give the warranty team a call today and actually ask them what they cover as if the ceramic isn't covered what is the frame and side shelves !! 

Also the outside of my ceramic got pretty hot i thought they didn't get that hot on the outside.??  

Am new so could be wrong just thought i read they didnt. 

Hiya They  do get hot on the outside . So don’t worry too much it’s normal . 

Edited by Raptor72

Little update...

I've pushed them to £75 off. Covering the crack with ceramic paint will not affect warranty. They said it's all in my notes so it's all in writing. I can also use it for 60 days with a no-quibble refund if I have a change of mind, that's standard apparently, so anyone with damaged ones can test it out. I said I'll let them know next week if I'll keep it.

I did try get £100 since @Airtime0007 mentioned they had offered that, but they wouldn't budge.

I have seen there 60 days refund advertised but i thought it says as long as its in new condition. 

Anyway i have fired mine up again all looks ok. 

Although i have found this if anyone in interested costco £600 24” grill looks great and costco warranty is brilliant.  Am going to go my local costco and take a look. Some of you may know better about this make than myself ??

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Charcoal-Wood-Barbecues/Louisiana-Grills-24-60-cm-Ceramic-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue-Assortment-Red/p/1900753

Turned up yesterday, rushed home with a mixture of excitement/trepidation.  

'Just' the two marks from what I can see. The worst being above the ash box opening. Looks very much like @MarkG pic. Back to customer services I go!

Thanks for all the updates, handy to know what positions have been agreed. I'll let you know how I get on.

IMG_3504.JPG

20 minutes ago, liam said:

I have seen there 60 days refund advertised but i thought it says as long as its in new condition. 

Anyway i have fired mine up again all looks ok. 

Although i have found this if anyone in interested costco £600 24” grill looks great and costco warranty is brilliant.  Am going to go my local costco and take a look. Some of you may know better about this make than myself ??

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Charcoal-Wood-Barbecues/Louisiana-Grills-24-60-cm-Ceramic-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue-Assortment-Red/p/1900753

I don't know any one that has one but heard they are big, good quality and available in store for £540

29 minutes ago, Toucs said:

Turned up yesterday, rushed home with a mixture of excitement/trepidation.  

'Just' the two marks from what I can see. The worst being above the ash box opening. Looks very much like @MarkG pic. Back to customer services I go!

Thanks for all the updates, handy to know what positions have been agreed. I'll let you know how I get on.

IMG_3504.JPG

Yep, that looks exactly like mine, and a lot of others by the looks of it. Definitely appears more a manufacturing issue than anything else.

• Like 1

I heard that although Costco will refund in full the price of the Louisanna Kamado the actual company are not providing any warranty outside of the US. This is hearsay but if anyone is considering the Costco option I would ask in store first.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, MarkG said:

I did look a Kettles, but it seemed like the Kamado was better for the low and slow 8-12 cook, without need for much intervention. I guess the short term ones are due to using cheaper materials, so eventually they will give up, unlike the KJ and BGE with their lifetime warranties.

I have a Weber it's an amazing BBQ very versatile and will last forever it seems - I bought this as an addition so that I can smoke low and slow and also do grilling at same time for larger gatherings.

I was going to get a Weber Smokey Mountain (or pro q/Rosle) but I thought accessing the lower vents would be  a pain

The Kamado seems to tick all the boxes for me

Right guys, after a bit of advice from those already using their aldi kamado.

I've done 2 cooks now, managed to control temperature ok, but if anything didn't see as much heat as I expected. First cook I kept fuel to a minimum but even with vents open it didn't shoot over 200. Tonight I used far more lump, one starter buiried in the top middle and it went up well, at 150 I closed top vent with wheel wide open, and bottom vented slider across. It rose to about 230 max and held there. I kinda expected to need to close it down more than that, especially the bottom vent. I was only cooking some burgers just getting practice in and they were great but are these setups about right for that temperature? Would I literally need to have everything fully open to sear steak?

At what temp do you guys start closing things down? Are do you do it a set temp below your target?

Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere already, figured they are all different so best to ask on the aldi page...

On 5/16/2019 at 10:22 PM, AmateurPitBoss said:

Right guys, after a bit of advice from those already using their aldi kamado.

I've done 2 cooks now, managed to control temperature ok, but if anything didn't see as much heat as I expected. First cook I kept fuel to a minimum but even with vents open it didn't shoot over 200. Tonight I used far more lump, one starter buiried in the top middle and it went up well, at 150 I closed top vent with wheel wide open, and bottom vented slider across. It rose to about 230 max and held there. I kinda expected to need to close it down more than that, especially the bottom vent. I was only cooking some burgers just getting practice in and they were great but are these setups about right for that temperature? Would I literally need to have everything fully open to sear steak?

At what temp do you guys start closing things down? Are do you do it a set temp below your target?

Apologies if this is discussed elsewhere already, figured they are all different so best to ask on the aldi page...

APB  on my Egg when I need to do a clean-up burn its all vents open wide and no daisy wheel and I get that baby upto 750C. To get high temps it needs a high input of oxygen. If you do this beware of not burping it when opening the lid. Just open about an inch to let some of the very hot air out, close then fully open. If you don't then be prepared for scorching of your arms!

Jan

• Like 1

How is everyone getting on with there aldi kamado ? 

I have been having second thoughts and am questioning looking into sending it back and getting a weber master touch premium 

anyone got one or got any input on one ? 

1 hour ago, liam said:

How is everyone getting on with there aldi kamado ? 

I have been having second thoughts and am questioning looking into sending it back and getting a weber master touch premium 

anyone got one or got any input on one ? 

Yep. I’ve got a master touch. Cracking bit of kit. Can’t fault it. What it isn’t is a Kamado. If you intend doing anything that requires long cooks it’ll be fair easier on the Kamado. Temp control is far far easier. Don't get me wrong. The Weber is great. It’s horses for courses at the end of the day. 

I’ve had mine for two weeks and it’s working brilliantly, I’ve done two slow roast shoulders of pork one for about 7 hours and the other 8, (150 to200 deg) both were fantastic, the crackling was perfect and the pork was so tender, and with the right amount of browning, also did some lamb koftas on a high heat which were excellent, I’ve also got a gas Webber which was new last year, replaced a beefeater, I love them both, maybe it’s the way of cooking that makes some people nervous about buying one, all I can say is get one it’s great and worth every penny.