ALDI KAMADO

andya

Mine was delivered this morning before 9am, haven't had a chance to put it together yet, but have taken the packaging off the top and had a look. No issues with it at all, which is great! A few pock marks, but pin head size and under the glaze, so no concerns with that - that's part of having a ceramic product.

I'll be back with further updates as my kamado journey progresses! Starting later today with putting it together and an initial burn (if I get time!). I'm looking forward to trying to peel the backing off the felt.....hopefully given I've been warned by others, it won't be as bad as I'm expecting!!

27 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

I'm looking forward to trying to peel the backing off the felt.....

I spent about 10 minutes trying different ways to peel off the backing and for the life of me I couldn't find anything remotely self adhesive on there!

I resorted to using double sided carpet tape to keep them in-place whilst the Kamado was lifted on.

Ha, those felt tabs are an absolute mare to remove - I was seriously losing it!

I've now completed two burns on mine and I've just lifted 2kg of bavette out of the freezer, my charcoal has arrived and tomorrow is the kamado's christening - I'll share some phots over the course of the weekend.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CrackWilliams said:

I've now completed two burns on mine and I've just lifted 2kg of bavette out of the freezer, my charcoal has arrived and tomorrow is the kamado's christening - I'll share some phots over the course of the weekend.

look forward to the pics👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Foggy01.1983 said:

I already have a Weber Smokey mountain and a Weber kettle bbq.

Question for me is do you think this bbq would be worth while when i already have these two and what added benefits do you think I would get?

I dont know much about your bbq's so I cant really go into specifics.

I think it would only be worth while if you had any problems/struggle cooking in certain ways, or looking to replace one. Temp control on the Kamado's is superb and they can be left alone for hours to just cook away. Very versitile with cooking and baking and great for overnight cooks. Fuel efficiency is superb on them.

I would only recommend getting one if you have specific reasons, otherwise I would stick with what you have since I have heard they are great bbq's. Im sure someone else will be able to add some advice based on their experiences👍

Edited by AdamG
re-worded one line
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, CrackWilliams said:

As it turned out, the felt tabs were a doddle! 

The bit that wasn’t so easy for me was the handle, the nuts were just not going on with the split washers also on, and i was nervous applying too much pressure as a slip of the spanner could have meant a crack or chip. In the end i just went without the split washers.

Looking forward to a test burn today

• Like 1

I had the same problem with mine that I built on Thursday. Couldn't fit the handle with the washers so ditched the washers.

The felt pads were easy once I tried peeling them from the felt side - it's counter intuitive but seems to work

Done two test burns so far  - seem to be struggling to get beyond 250 C - maybe I've been too tentative with the amount of fuel? Anyway second burn got up to 250 and then lasted for a few hours before dropping below 200 for the last couple

Might try cooking something today!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

In the end i just went without the split washers

I found the same, and like you I went without the split washers in the end.
After chipping a little of the coating off the handle using the spanner provided I used a 10mm ring spanner to tighten the remaining dome nuts and it worked a treat 👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, James Garbett said:

I had the same problem with mine that I built on Thursday. Couldn't fit the handle with the washers so ditched the washers.

The felt pads were easy once I tried peeling them from the felt side - it's counter intuitive but seems to work

Done two test burns so far  - seem to be struggling to get beyond 250 C - maybe I've been too tentative with the amount of fuel? Anyway second burn got up to 250 and then lasted for a few hours before dropping below 200 for the last couple

Might try cooking something today!

I just fill the fire box every time, then shut the vents off after cooking. Usually get 3 cooks per load of fuel with only a small handful of new fuel required each time. Amazed at how little fuel I've got through in a year considering I use it loads

• Like 2

Ha, I forgot about the washers - yep, they were also a bugger and whilst some are fitted, the others got lost in the long grass. 

Re the temp, I'm also having the same trouble brining it up to temp - I did get to 325 on my third burn and then closed off the bottom vent (not entirely, it was a a quarter open) and closed off the chimney,. Leaving the vents fully open - cam back ten mins later and the temp had dropped to about 200?

I had plenty of fuel in, it worked fine all vents open but blasted through the fuel. 

Thankfully I'm doing the bavette direct today so not so much about the temp control but really do need to nail this control down for the slower cooks. 

(piccy is of the marinated skirt). 

IMG_20200501_190251.jpg

1 hour ago, AmateurPitBoss said:

I just fill the fire box every time, then shut the vents off after cooking. Usually get 3 cooks per load of fuel with only a small handful of new fuel required each time. Amazed at how little fuel I've got through in a year considering I use it loads

Thanks - when you say fill the firebox - how full is full? Right up to the top or a single layer across the bottom or something else?

2 hours ago, AdamG said:

I dont know much about your bbq's so I cant really go into specifics.

I think it would only be worth while if you had any problems/struggle cooking in certain ways, or looking to replace one. Temp control on the Kamado's is superb and they can be left alone for hours to just cook away. Very versitile with cooking and baking and great for overnight cooks. Fuel efficiency is superb on them.

I would only recommend getting one if you have specific reasons, otherwise I would stick with what you have since I have heard they are great bbq's. Im sure someone else will be able to add some advice based on their experiences👍

The Webber kettle I have is very old now with some bits that need replacing.

I will have to try and decide whether to replace it now and whether the price is worth while.

I do over night low cooking and smoking on the WSM with no issues, although if the temperature outside drops i do find my alarm goes off do I have to get up and open the vents, same if it rains.

Can you cook indirect on a komado? It looks like all the coals are right in the centre.

I think it's good having a selection. I've got an oklahoma joe Highland offset, a wood pizza oven, a big open brick bbq and now ordered an AK. 

Nice to have a play with different techniques and styles. 

You can put a full or half moon deflector plate in a kamado allowing full indirect or half and half. 

3 minutes ago, Foggy01.1983 said:

I will have to try and decide whether to replace it now and whether the price is worth while.

I do over night low cooking and smoking on the WSM with no issues, although if the temperature outside drops i do find my alarm goes off do I have to get up and open the vents, same if it rains.

Can you cook indirect on a komado? It looks like all the coals are right in the centre.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foggy01.1983 said:

yes you can cook indirect with kamado's, this is were they excel really. Most come with a ceramic deflector plate (or 2 halves for direct and indirect cooking). Weather outside does not really affect the inside temp (at least in the uk) and they are great for winter cooks aswell.

If you are interested then make sure the ceramic plate(s) are included, or at least another brand fits them. In my opinion they are the single most important part👍

18 minutes ago, AdamG said:

yes you can cook indirect with kamado's, this is were they excel really. Most come with a ceramic deflector plate (or 2 halves for direct and indirect cooking). Weather outside does not really affect the inside temp (at least in the uk) and they are great for winter cooks aswell.

If you are interested then make sure the ceramic plate(s) are included, or at least another brand fits them. In my opinion they are the single most important part👍

my view is that the deflector supplied with the Aldi unit is slightly too small so I might get a bigger one

1 hour ago, James Garbett said:

Thanks - when you say fill the firebox - how full is full? Right up to the top or a single layer across the bottom or something else?

At the German forum (grillsportverein) AK users recommend to use a charcoal basket.

This one should fit https://www.amazon.co.uk/Besthouse-Charcoal-Stainless-Accessories-Louisiana/dp/B07CVW9YW6/ I ordered one but my AK hasn't yet been delivered so can't confirm if it fits

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrulySNAFU said:

At the German forum (grillsportverein) AK users recommend to use a charcoal basket.

This one should fit https://www.amazon.co.uk/Besthouse-Charcoal-Stainless-Accessories-Louisiana/dp/B07CVW9YW6/ I ordered one but my AK hasn't yet been delivered so can't confirm if it fits

Thanks so the basket sits in the firebox and you fill the basket up to the top with charcoal? Is this just to get the right amount of charcoal or some other advantage?

5 minutes ago, James Garbett said:

Thanks so the basket sits in the firebox and you fill the basket up to the top with charcoal? Is this just to get the right amount of charcoal or some other advantage?

charcoals should get more air as the wholes in the floor of the burner don't get clogged. It should be much easier to clean the ash.

edit:

Edited by TrulySNAFU

3 hours ago, James Garbett said:

On a big green egg forum, the suggestion was up to or just above the air holes in the firebox

Fill up every time and shutdown after use to save fuel, a statement of the obvious, but kamado’s temp is set by air flow, not by amount of fuel

• Like 1