ALDI KAMADO

andya

Just put an order in for the Aldi egg. Have been grilling with a Master Touch for the last 4 yrs, which has been brilliant,  and fancied a change of grill. Will keep both though.

The Which? review made me laugh. The tester complained that it was disconcerting that you had to cook with the lid closed!

Just got to think of what to tell the wife when it turns up..........

Edited by brisketburner2020
  • Like 1

I did press the button and buy one.

Ive got a Weber spirit gas bbq at the moment, and as great as it is at what it does, I’m looking forward to adding a kamado to complete (for now) my fleet.

A summer of lockdown and working from home seems the perfect time to try some different things 👍

Morning one and all - I've also ordered and hoping for it to be delivered in the next ten days or so. 

I must say, having found and read this thread there some nervousness on my part, most what my wife will say if this comes damaged (and the grill area is too small, which she already thinks it is...) 

Edited by CrackWilliams
spelling

Anyone who already has one got any recommendations for “must have” accessories? 

For example, is the heat deflector good enough, or is there a better one available elsewhere? Is there a particular pizza stone that is good for this grill? Are there cast iron grates available that fit it? Or anything else that has improved the grill!

I initially thought the heat deflector could have been a bit bigger, but it's been absolutely fine, no signs of cracks of anything. Not used a pizza stone in there and not found any other accessories I would need. I've used mine about 60 or 70 times in the past 12 month of owning it. Even cooked Christmas Dinner on it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Any good forgiving recipes for a first cook or two?

I'd always say go with Pork as it's a very forgiving meat. try not to over think, you can go with a simple sat and pepper rub or even throw in paprika or other herbs you have in the house. I'd focus on learning how to stabilise temp then play with flavours.  If you have a thermometer that'll help take the pressure off.  

Edited by hoogl
  • Thanks 1

Yes I've lied, dual probe thermometer is great. I grabbed an ink bird one for about 25 quid I think.

Pulled pork or brisket have been hard to get wrong for me. YouTube is your friend. A single natural lighter towards the back, bottom vent fully open and lid open. 10 mins later, close lid and close bottom vent to only have a single row of holes showing (I was surprised at how little air it needs to sit around the smoking temperature). Usually have top wheel half way closed but adjust this to suit. Bigger temp changes made on the bottom vent.

Cook your meat to a temperature and it saves opening it up often. Everything I've cooked has come out really well and family and friends have loved it

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, brisketburner2020 said:

Any point in getting some good quality steel plates, especially made for the AK?

I know a guy who will custom cut them to any design.

B20D3E6F-3586-4B95-A914-4D3F1262F098.thumb.jpeg.a7ab5b03f1def6610aa4fdf1d3cdd4b4.jpeg

D0A6AF8E-5F49-44B7-84AD-80E280FA7413.thumb.jpeg.a928c90e049f21cd9fa05f695b9fe397.jpeg

DE709C74-4258-4C00-BB05-E183529E90BE.thumb.jpeg.cc369fe9b31578c24993fd5137d37fa5.jpeg

All laser cut from 3mm Steel, if you can design it he can cut it, or send him an image he he can do the rest.

3DDEEB5D-0E89-47D4-B7BF-614DB3C4346A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robdan said:

Well Aldi seem to be working to ship these quickly - I just received an email telling me that mine had been despatched!

Just in time for the good weather ☹️ 

This thread is bringing back memories. Delivery took 12 days for me last year. Ordered 30/04, despatched 02/05 and received 14/05. Hope that helps...

• Thanks 1