ALDI KAMADO

andya

51 minutes ago, Tonee said:

Hi received mine yesterday and all seems to be in working order. Would be useful to find out how many have faults as we don't have enough information to conclude that the situation is worse than last year or for other similar  products. Not much comfort I know for those that have defects with their Kamado.

There is a pole on the Aldi Kamado Facebook group with that info, well with a sample size of the group members

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Justin said:

350 is substantial but compared to other ceramic bbqs it is not so much. Bit like buying a fiat and expecting it mught be a ferrari

I think if they follow smoking monkeys advice should be fine . 

But if you buy something for £2.99 and it breaks you might not be that upset  . You spend £350 on something ! ......  especially a major interest.

Edited by Raptor72

@Justin That's what my worry is, a crack that's not possible to see, but could very well surface after a few goes. La Hacienda already told me they don't have a replacement part for the dome so if it breaks, it's a goner, nothing Aldi could do about it. Doubtful Aldi would refund if it did break, especially when it's logged on my order as I've contacted them.

I took a better inspection of mine, attached a better pic of the crack. It almost looks like it's been damaged, filled in, and covered up. Anyone have any thoughts?

kamado-crack-2.jpg

Just now, Justin said:

That looks like a bodge on the manufacturing process. Done on the cheap by the manufacturer? Worrying. Refund?

I think I'll take the refund over keeping it for £50, it looks more concerning than first appeared.

I bought mine as a dipping my toe into Kamado really. If I get on well with it and it lasts a few years il consider one of the higher quality brands on the market.

couldnt justify over 1k never having used one though 

• Like 3

That’s literally identical to the fault I had on my first one. Identical. It’s not on the left hand side of the lid as you look at the front is it? It’s also worth mentioning that the box on the one I returned was perfect, no visible damage at all. The way they are packed makes me pretty certain the damage was on mine before it went in the box. La hacienda also confirmed to me that they had no spare ceramic components, as in not out of stock, they never have them. 

3 minutes ago, Secla said:

I bought mine as a dipping my toe into Kamado really. If I get on well with it and it lasts a few years il consider one of the higher quality brands on the market.

couldnt justify over 1k never having used one though 

If you get one that’s not damaged they are bloody good value. Kamados are not complicated bits of kit and neither are the materials they are made of. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MarkG said:

I think I'll take the refund over keeping it for £50, it looks more concerning than first appeared.

I’ve only just realised what they offered you. They offered me 10% off. Once I stopped laughing, I said I would want at least £100 she disappeared off spoke to a manager who agreed to £100. I still went for a replacement. If this ones damaged I’m going to return it and buy a wild goose, which looks to be pretty much identical to a Kamado Joe classic. 

16 minutes ago, Airtime0007 said:

I’ve only just realised what they offered you. They offered me 10% off. Once I stopped laughing, I said I would want at least £100 she disappeared off spoke to a manager who agreed to £100. I still went for a replacement. If this ones damaged I’m going to return it and buy a wild goose, which looks to be pretty much identical to a Kamado Joe classic. 

They offered me £50 first time, they spoke to management first. I asked if they can do more and she said no, I was considering it but after further inspection, it's a no go.They'd have to offer me £200 to keep it as it is 😂 It's on the right hand side of the lid on mine.

I'm almost certain mine is not damaged by the courier, as it was wrapped up well without damage.

I think I'll go Wild Goose too, only downside is it's a 1 year warranty. Anything to worry about there?

I'm not thinking about any of the eggs that are now on the market but have been reading this thread. I do feel sorry for you guys that have had the problems with the damage,  just out of curiosity I looked up the Wild Goose as a couple of guys say they may look at buying one instead of the Aldi ones.

Not sure if any of you have found this site for the Goose?? it's now £549,  but sign up for their new letter and get £20 off your first order. https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

I see also next day delivery, that's service for you in my eyes.

Just my 2 cents.

Ice. 

Edited by Icefever

Struck mine up last night.  Chuffed with it.  I followed the manual advice and kept the fuel to a minimum for the first cook.  Didn't take it over 200 C but did manage to control the temperature pretty well.  Still stand by my comment about the heat deflector being too small, anything towards the edge of the grill was getting crisped up still.  It could easily be 30mm bigger.  I won't have any issues with this being bare steel rather than a stone will I?

Will load it right up in the next few days as all the instruction videos I've watched lead me to think controlling temperature is easier with it full??? 

Might just have to get me a massive pork shoulder for the weekend!

57 minutes ago, MarkG said:

I've seen a KJ classic, with the D&C system and newer firebox for £869. ~ £300 more you get the lifetime KJ warranty, over the 1 year with the Goose. Tough decision now!

Do they break? Anyone had one break? How do they fail? Other than obviously dropping things which wouldn’t be covered?

5 minutes ago, Airtime0007 said:

Do they break? Anyone had one break? How do they fail? Other than obviously dropping things which wouldn’t be covered?

Be curious to know also, and if it is worth that bit extra. I've read about fireboxes cracking, which they replace. I knwo this puts it 2.5x the price of the Aldi one, so it is a big jump, given that probably a lot of people (including myself) wanted it to get started in the Kamado world, before dropping a large amount of money on it.

25 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Be curious to know also, and if it is worth that bit extra. I've read about fireboxes cracking, which they replace. I knwo this puts it 2.5x the price of the Aldi one, so it is a big jump, given that probably a lot of people (including myself) wanted it to get started in the Kamado world, before dropping a large amount of money on it.

Fireboxes do seem to be risk with Kamados but in theory this is a 'lifetime purchase'. On the flip side, these things shouldn't break if manufacturered well so why doesn't the goose come with a long warranty. 

The goose might also be made of slightly inferior ceramic, if the comments on US based forums are to be believed based on it being manufactured by either auplex or TOPQ. 

Edited by KamadoHunter
extra text

Just had this from Aldi: They just told me I can test the Kamado, and if there are no issues, I can continue using it with a partial refund of £50. If there is an issue because of it within those 3 years, they will refund the rest to the full amount.

I'm now tempted to keep the Kamdo at the value of £300, if it breaks within 3 years, full collection and refund. This appears a win-win situation?

Who knew buying a Kamado could be so stressful.

• Like 2

@MarkG sounds good mark but what do you think they will say if it cracks ? 

I fired mine up last night to about 200 celsius to see if the crack on the inside changed, am going to give the warranty team a call today and actually ask them what they cover as if the ceramic isn't covered what is the frame and side shelves !! 

Also the outside of my ceramic got pretty hot i thought they didn't get that hot on the outside.??  

Am new so could be wrong just thought i read they didnt. 

51 minutes ago, KamadoHunter said:

Fireboxes do seem to be risk with Kamados but in theory this is a 'lifetime purchase'. On the flip side, these things shouldn't break if manufacturered well so why doesn't the goose come with a long warranty. 

The goose might also be made of slightly inferior ceramic, if the comments on US based forums are to be believed based on it being manufactured by either auplex or TOPQ. 

My suspicion is that it’s due to the fact that the retailer is also an agent for Kamado Joe. If it wasn’t for the difference in warranty there would be very little to differentiate between the two to the casual observer. Who manufactures the ceramic for Kamado Joe? Anyone know that it isn’t Auplex?

I am not going near one of these, i do not get it., My Weber kettle has lasted some 15 years plus  and is still going strong. Such a versatile piece of kit too..  Why are these ceramic ones so short term on guarantees?