ALDI KAMADO

andya

1 hour ago, mctrials23 said:

Mines just arrived and I think its all fine apart from the felt pads that sit in the frame to isolate the bowl from the frame. How on earth do you get those to stick on. Either the backing comes off completely leaving an entirely felt pad or you manage to get between the layers and you are just left with a felt pad on furry paper. Doesn't seem to be any sort of adhesive to get at.

Any ideas?

I had to make a cut through the paper backing to get it to peel off, couldn't do it from the edges. Failing that get some double sided tape on them, they won't be going anywhere once the kamado is sat on them.

Edited by tedmus

Cheers guys, ended up doing what tedmus suggested after I had given up and stuck one pad on using normal double sided tape. Just got it curing now at about 220 degrees so I should be ready for some cooking this weekend! Thanks for the help guys. 

• Like 1

mine arrived with a crack in the bottom of it that's visible inside and out so it's going back.

This is the nearest I've seen on ebay - it's got a 45cm diameter grill, anyone got any thoughts before I push the button?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Grill-Smoker-Cooking-Oven-Charcoal-Kettle-Egg-21-Ceramic-Kamado-wheels/254203784138?hash=item3b2fb9ebca:g:2p0AAOSwjfhcuFyU

5 minutes ago, 4b4 said:

mine arrived with a crack in the bottom of it that's visible inside and out so it's going back.

This is the nearest I've seen on ebay - it's got a 45cm diameter grill, anyone got any thoughts before I push the button?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Grill-Smoker-Cooking-Oven-Charcoal-Kettle-Egg-21-Ceramic-Kamado-wheels/254203784138?hash=item3b2fb9ebca:g:2p0AAOSwjfhcuFyU

That doesn't look it comes with any accessories, certainly no deflector set up?

JTF are still showing limited stock of this one.

https://www.jtf.com/la-hacienda-ceramic-egg-kamado-bbq-oven.html

I would dodge the Kamados, they seem to have deteriorated  to a whole mass of complaints  in their latest iteration.  That is  lots of money for suffering that.  For that sort of money you can get  pro q top notch bullet  or any number of Weber  bbq's, the lot of them more versatile and perfectly able to do long cooks at low temperatures and a lot easier to look after than a ceramic egg

@4b4 If you're willing to push an extra £100, you should look at the Wild Goose. Comes with deflector, divide and conquer system. However, do be warned that issues are NOT limited to these Aldi ones, it just appears the nature of ceramic BBQ's in general, and a whole lot of luck. I've had two Wild Goose's delivered, both came with damage also (along with my damaged Aldi one). They are supposed to be delivering another one today, however looks like they have forgot. I'm on the verge of giving up on ceramic BBQs as getting one has been an absolute nightmare.

Edited by MarkG

I must admit reading about all the problems that a lot of guys are having with these grills has curbed my passion for one.  When we were at the "Brew'n'Q"  the last bank holls, we got talking to the guy on the Monolith pitch,  he was doing an event price around the £600/£650 mark. These come with a lifetime guarantee, the wife was very interested and almost ordered one, until I reined her in a little, it is easy to get carried away with this hobby.

Last weekend we were at our local Costco who have this...https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Charcoal-Wood-Barbecues/Louisiana-Grills-24-60-cm-Ceramic-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue-In-3-Colours/p/louisianakamadogrill

I'll stick with the ProQ for now.

Ice.

• Like 1

Whichever kamado you might get the cooking experience is great. They're so versatile, i've done ribs, roasts, grilled stuff and pizzas so far with great results. Awesome at seared steaks, gets super hot and does great pizzas with the right set up. Temps are so easy to maintain once you get dialled in with it, only thing is it's a bugger to get the temp down if you over shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my old one back for a refund and it was pretty straightforward to be fair, I noticed earlier this week that Aldi were briefly back in stock and the new one has just arrived, no mega cracks that I've seen yet but two chips in the glaze on the outside - hopefully a part refund will help with that.

Apologies guys and this maybe off topic a little, however bought this same Aldi Kamado last year when it was on offer, I would say that Ive used it at maximum of 5 times, one of the main reasons is I just can't get my lump wood to burn. I use some firelighters and lump wood get it lit open the vents and put the lid down, it just goes out,have tried various ways leaving the lid open a bit longer etc to no avail, I have had to resort to put amounts of BBQ lighter gel on the lump wood to get it going its taking over 50 minutes to take light, either I'm doing something wrong/ technique or its just not for me. Your help and advise before I return to traditional BBQ's will be greatly received, thank you.

1 hour ago, SandshoesandGrandad said:

Apologies guys and this maybe off topic a little, however bought this same Aldi Kamado last year when it was on offer, I would say that Ive used it at maximum of 5 times, one of the main reasons is I just can't get my lump wood to burn. I use some firelighters and lump wood get it lit open the vents and put the lid down, it just goes out,have tried various ways leaving the lid open a bit longer etc to no avail, I have had to resort to put amounts of BBQ lighter gel on the lump wood to get it going its taking over 50 minutes to take light, either I'm doing something wrong/ technique or its just not for me. Your help and advise before I return to traditional BBQ's will be greatly received, thank you.

It shouldn't be that difficult to get going, I only use 2 wood wools in mine usually. What charcoal are you using, how big are the pieces?

Have you watched any videos on YouTube etc about getting it lit properly for different types of cooks? I've only had mine a month or so and used it at least 10 times already.

Make sure it's got very little ash in the bottom so the air flow is good. I just fill it with lumpwood each time and use a natural lighter block under a couple of lumps in the middle, then leave it with lid open and bottom vent wide for 10 minutes. Then close lid and leave vent wide until close to temp I want to cook at. Very surprised you are having issues, I've found it incredibly easy to work with. May be your fuel, infuse barbequick restaurant grade lumpwood. Good value and I managed to cook a pork shoulder for 15 hours last week with plenty fuel left over for this weekend cook.

Steve

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone, 

I’m new to the forum and in the market for a Kamado.

The Aldi option is coming round again, (on sale this Sunday). The price is clearly very attractive, but I’ve got a couple of concerns:

1. Quality control based on this thread!

2. Availability of accessories that fit the grill (as a starting point I’d want a pizza stone and a griddle - I guess those should be easy to get hold of?), might be harder to get cast iron grates, but I think I could live without that

Given the price difference between this and the next option up, which I’d see as being a Masterbuilt (i.e. a Joe Classic) at £650, the Aldi option is a compelling offer if i can get one that isn’t damaged!

My only other concern is whether I’ll actually be able to build it given the weight of the thing. It’ll arrive on a pallet on my drive, and I’ll need to get it to my back garden, but there’s a 8inch step or so along the way. Am I over thinking the weight involved? 

Cheers,

Simon

Kentish Man l I hope you took the plunge as they are sold out!

I was waiting to check if these were online after midnight and fell asleep.  Luckily woke up at 3am and thought to check, over 70 sold and aparently over 100 people looking at the item at that time.

Bought one, I've only used gas before for bbq and a cheap tiny  charcoal so will see how i take to the low and slow.

Is the Aldi lumpwood any good? It looks like they come in 1kg bags so assuming its tiny bits.

Edited by Randomguy