ALDI KAMADO

andya

Has anyone had their 2019 Aldi Kamado's delivered yet?  XDP courier reviews are absolutely awful online.  I cant wait for it to arrive and get the first cook going!

Existing owners - I read the reviews about the heat deflecter being a bit small, I was thinking about getting a thick steel plate cut to suit but will this work with it being hung from the grate above?  Got a steel fabricator I deal with regularly through work and figured as long as it wasn't painted it would be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmateurPitBoss said:

Has anyone had their 2019 Aldi Kamado's delivered yet?  XDP courier reviews are absolutely awful online.  I cant wait for it to arrive and get the first cook going!

Existing owners - I read the reviews about the heat deflecter being a bit small, I was thinking about getting a thick steel plate cut to suit but will this work with it being hung from the grate above?  Got a steel fabricator I deal with regularly through work and figured as long as it wasn't painted it would be fine.

Not yet but in the last hour or so my tracking link has updated to "Delivery" from "Create" with status data showing "At delivery depot".

Evening chaps. First time post. My Aldi Kamado was delivered today. Haven’t fired it up yet but first impressions are good.  Slightly annoyed there is a small chip in the lid. It about 3mm diameter but looks like it could end up being 8mm based on the crazing of the enamel around it. Hoping it won’t spread when it gets hot. I’m going to speak to Aldi in the morning. I doubt it will affect function in the long run. I’m was presently surprised by the apparent quality. It’s far better than I expected. The heat deflector could be a bit bigger but I, sure will work fine. I was surprised the firebox is all one piece. I was expecting it to be in two for some reason. A lower and upper ring. It doesn’t mention it in the instructions, does anyone know if there’s is a break in procedure? No complaints from me on the courier

This is the second time I have seen this problem in two days, small chip in the ceramic. 

Gently burn it in. Fire it up, run it at 110’C for a hour then gently increase the temperature.

This acts in three ways, it burns any residue left on parts during manufacturing settles things in, and also starts you on your journey on how to control the Kamado.

I’d send it back . And ask for a replacement. This is because 1 )you will have registered there is a problem that potentially would get worse 

2) They will run out of these . 

You shouldn't have to do a repair to the glaze . My small one developed a chip after 3 years . It doesn’t affect it too much . But that isn’t the point . You paid for it you should expect it to arrive undamaged . 

• Like 1

I’m going to phone them and see if they do matched paint. If not I’ll have it logged that if a chunk falls out/gets worse I’ll be after a replacement. Based on the very slight cosmetic damage I can’t be bothered messing about with a replacement. The thing weighs 80kg and comes strapped to a pallet! They are rebadged/supplied by Hacienda who are only in Gloucester, not far from me. I’ll give em a bell now and see what they say

Just spoke to La hacienda. Cracking service so far. I said I wasn’t worried about a replacement, just repair advice/assurance on warranty cover should it get worse. They asked me to send photos because they want to ensure it’s safe to use. If they deem it not safe they will sort a replacement. If they are happy it’s safe and I want to keep it they will sort me a partial refund via Aldi. Answered the phone within three rings as well. 

• Like 4

It wasn’t shrink wrapped, but the packaging was seriously substantial. The actual Kamado body was shrink wrapped inside the outer packaging. The outer is some kind of triwall honeycombe corrugated. It’s bloody strong!  We got a text the evening before with a two hour time slot which they were within. 

• Like 1

Mine arrived today with a blemish in a similar location and it hadn't quiet broken out into a full chip, I would have been 50/50 about returning or repairing it, but there were also two large chips on the lid lip so I have arranged for it to be picked up and replaced. As mentioned above the packaging is fairly substantial so suspect its been transported or dropped on its side, judging by the unique packing going on in the delivery van it really could be either.

Update. I’ve gone for a replacement. La Haicinda sent me an email after seeing the pictures basically saying it’s not sound so get a replacement. Aldi offered me £30 and then £100 or replacement. I decided on the replacement. They are collecting the old one on Monday and delivering the replacement within 2-10 days.