ALDI KAMADO

andya

17 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

But this begs the question, why are you cooking rice in your Kamado?

I was cooking it while the kamado was pre-heating, ready for cooking a curry. I get higher temps for stir frying from the lumpwood than I do from the gas hob.... and as a bonus it saves me cleaning the gas hob and wall tiles from spatter when ever i use the wok haha🍻

20220610_182138.jpg

Edited by AdamG
Added pic
  • Like 1

Hi all.

I have just purchased the Aldi Komodo (coming in a couple of weeks)

I have been reading a couple of books, and they suggest if you are not grilling on an Iron Cast Grill then you need to grill at 250-300 rather than 200-240. So do i need to add 50 deg for all grilling recipes? Also is there a go to if i do want to purchase the correct size iron cast grill?

Finally, despite my love of meat... I have a family of vegetarians.  Any Ideas for both grilling and slow cooks / smoking i can do alongside my carnivorous cooks? Thanks.

1 hour ago, DavidG said:

Hi all.

I have just purchased the Aldi Komodo (coming in a couple of weeks)

I have been reading a couple of books, and they suggest if you are not grilling on an Iron Cast Grill then you need to grill at 250-300 rather than 200-240. So do i need to add 50 deg for all grilling recipes? Also is there a go to if i do want to purchase the correct size iron cast grill?

Finally, despite my love of meat... I have a family of vegetarians.  Any Ideas for both grilling and slow cooks / smoking i can do alongside my carnivorous cooks? Thanks.

Congrats on your purchase👍

Some of the easy ones are jacket/hasselback potatoes, corn cobs, disposable tray with chopped onions and peppers, yorkshire puddings etc.

After roasting a joint of meat and while it rests, you could do some roast potatoes in an oven tray, dome temp around 220- 250C works best (i like to put the tray and oil directly on the heat deflector so it gets good contact heat). I normally put this in before the meat is ready to come off the grill to catch some drippings....but vegetarians wont be happy with that lol. 

Homemade vegetarian burgers or falafels, stuffed peppers

If you fancy investing in a enamel coated dutch oven at a later date then that will open up your options  for some vegetarian stews/soups/casseroles/curries. Smoked vegetarian chilli con carne is great😋

Hopefully something I suggested will be useful for you. 🍻

Edited by AdamG
Grammar

@DavidGif you’re a fan of Middle Eastern cuisine check out the Berber & Q cook book. There’s a good whole cauliflower recipe. Josh Katz (the author) has just released a vegetarian Berber & Q cookbook. I’ve yet to get it but if it’s anything like the original it will be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I love the knowledge on this thread and hope you can help!

I have an aldi egg but cannot seem to get it above 350 degrees....I want to get as hot as possible - 400 / 450 etc to sear steak that I've already cooked in the water bath but cannot get to that temperature....what am I doing wrong?! Thank you  

5 minutes ago, tom_beef said:

I have an aldi egg but cannot seem to get it above 350 degrees....I want to get as hot as possible - 400 / 450 etc to sear steak that I've already cooked in the water bath but cannot get to that temperature....what am I doing wrong?! Thank you  

What charcoal are you using?

8 minutes ago, tom_beef said:

Maybe this link would be of help...

Hopefully this will help you but if not then let us know and we will try to help👍

16 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

What charcoal are you using?

Thanks Smokin Monkey. I'm using big green egg charcoal, big lumpwood charcoal. Definitely not skimping on the quality or cost! I can get to 300 / 350 degrees but can't seem to get higher. Should I build up a bigger fire, or does that block the holes and so the air flow?

Aldi Kamodo has arrived. However it has also come with the same chip shown in the first few pages of this thread.

I think I'm gonna hold onto to it and do a self repair. Is there a go to enamel paint for this? 

Edited by DavidG

32 minutes ago, DavidG said:

Aldi Kamodo has arrived. However it has also come with the same chip shown in the first few pages of this thread.

I think I'm gonna hold onto to it and do a self repair. Is there a go to enamel paint for this? 

They have loads of them this year, I would get it replaced.

I would agree, and go one further to say if you can get a KJ classic 1 for about ~£600, it is worth it. 
Having gone from an AK to a KJ, I feel that difference is worth it. 
slightly more cooking space, achieves temp more quickly, and seems to stay there slightly more easily. 
That being  said, I’m a relatively inexperienced kamado owner, but I just feel the KJ is a better design. 

£600 is not happening! I'm getting enough grief for £400. I'm tempted to take an offer of a discount as I believe it is only cosmetic. However the wait during all this sunny weather is excruciating. 

One more question.. Is the lift onto the stand a one person jobby for your average male?

32 minutes ago, DavidG said:

One more question.. Is the lift onto the stand a one person jobby for your average male?

Not for the average bloke. Not unless you fancy herniating a disc…

You should remove the firebowl

to reduce weight, but given that it is ceramic, lifting it accurately into place is essential!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, Toucs said:

@DavidGif you’re a fan of Middle Eastern cuisine check out the Berber & Q cook book. There’s a good whole cauliflower recipe. Josh Katz (the author) has just released a vegetarian Berber & Q cookbook. I’ve yet to get it but if it’s anything like the original it will be great.

Just bought this on the google play store - both Google and Amazon have the ebook version for 99p right now!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all. New to the group. Just bought a Aldi Kamado ceramic smoker. Loving it for the price. Holds temp like a champion without needing a regulator. 

Does anyone know where to get accessories for this model? Looking at getting a rotisserie and thought I would check it with the group. 

Appreciate any advice. 

• 5 months later...

- Anybody need a fire bowl? - 

Hi,
my fire bowl broke, Hacienda sent me a new one. The one they sent already had a hairline crack in it, which Hacienda assured me would not affect its use. However, it is also a slightly different diameter at the bottom, which makes the fuel grate sit very low. I told Hacienda I wasn't happy with that, and they kindly sent me a new fire bowl. The new one is one that comes in sections, I wonder if all the new AKs will have these sectioned fire bowls? No more cracking problems!

Anyway, that leaves me with an unused firebowl with a hairline crack and slightly larger bottom diameter (photos attached, I tried to show how low the fuel grate sits in it).

If anybody could use it, if you cover postage (or collect in Glasgow) you are welcome to it. Please PM me if you're interested. 😀

Fire Bowl 01.jpg

Fire Bowl 02.jpg

Fire Bowl 03.jpg

Fire Bowl 04.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...