ALDI KAMADO

andya

It doesn't have any accessories other than the main cooking grill, but they didn't say they're included so no problem there. Its a rebranded Auplex Kamado for info.

It is smaller than advertised, they advertised it on the website with a 53cm cooking grill but it turns out its 46cm. I wanted something with alot more room than my little WSM so I spoke to them and asked to return it, They checked the website and said "yes I can see it says 53cm cooking grill on the website so thats fine you can return it as its our error, just ship it back to us." I pointed out that postage on a kamado would be a little bit expensive and I shouldn't be paying that out of my pocket for their error so they said they will call me back.

They went and changed the website to say 46cm, had a manager call me who said the website listed 46cm all along, insisted the website has not been changed and that its not their problem. If I wanted to return it, I have to arrange and pay for my own shipping. Bloody cheeky.

Luckily I had a screenshot from before they changed it to prove otherwise or I would have been shafted. I emailed the screenshot to them, they've called me back, apologised and said i was looking at a "different part of the site" or something (not sure how that works as I'm looking at the page they changed!) but have now agreed to collect it.

KeyLargo (or anyone else who bought one), if you decide to return it and end up needing the screenshots as proof, here you go.

kamado.jpg

kamado2.jpg

Edited by Ahdinko
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Not good advertising one size, then supplying a smaller unit.

Absolutely appalled at the cheap trick they tried to pull on the website. You should of told them that you was going to post this on a UK BBQ Forum to alert others to their practice. 

I think the size thing was just an honest mistake they made on their website, how they handled it is something else.

I thought about mentioning the forum but figured no point trying to stir the pot as they still have my money and clearly aren't afraid of being shady. Don't want them to collect it and come up with something like "oh you've chipped it, we aren't refunding you!"

I was considering keeping it, but if they're willing to be underhanded, I worried what would happen if it cracked 3 months down the line and I needed to make a warranty claim.

Edited by Ahdinko
  • Like 1

I was aware of this issue via my previous research about the company that makes these Auplex. I am sorry i did not mention it in advance. The 53 cm refers to the outer diameter of the grill, this misinformation is perpetuated bt the original manufacture. Bar be quick did not do do diligence, but i think it has an honest mistake. 

I am more upset about the lack of a deflection plate as i think it should not be call a Komodo without one simply just a ceramic grill. 

I will keep mine though and work on modding it to my liking. The Aldi one was a much better deal... 

Live and learn i suppose. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KeyLargo said:

I was aware of this issue via my previous research about the company that makes these Auplex. I am sorry i did not mention it in advance. The 53 cm refers to the outer diameter of the grill, this misinformation is perpetuated bt the original manufacture. Bar be quick did not do do diligence, but i think it has an honest mistake. 

I am more upset about the lack of a deflection plate as i think it should not be call a Komodo without one simply just a ceramic grill. 

I will keep mine though and work on modding it to my liking. The Aldi one was a much better deal... 

Live and learn i suppose. 

Agreed on the Aldi & Morrisons ones last year being a better deal. Those came round in May last year so I imagine the same or similar deals will come round again soon, especially as they sold like hot cakes. I'm going to hold out for one of those I think, plus with supermarkets at least there are local stores which I can take it back to if there is a problem.

If you aren't happy with it, call them and have them come take it back and refund you. You're well within your rights due to the size thing. Especially as by the time you put some extra grates and a deflector in, you're probably close to the same money as one of these which is bigger to begin with and comes with it all:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Charcoal-Wood-Barbecues/Louisiana-Grills-24-60-cm-Ceramic-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue-Black/p/1900736

Edited by Ahdinko
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ahdinko said:

It doesn't have any accessories other than the main cooking grill, but they didn't say they're included so no problem there. Its a rebranded Auplex Kamado for info.

It is smaller than advertised, they advertised it on the website with a 53cm cooking grill but it turns out its 46cm. I wanted something with alot more room than my little WSM so I spoke to them and asked to return it, They checked the website and said "yes I can see it says 53cm cooking grill on the website so thats fine you can return it as its our error, just ship it back to us." I pointed out that postage on a kamado would be a little bit expensive and I shouldn't be paying that out of my pocket for their error so they said they will call me back.

They went and changed the website to say 46cm, had a manager call me who said the website listed 46cm all along, insisted the website has not been changed and that its not their problem. If I wanted to return it, I have to arrange and pay for my own shipping. Bloody cheeky.

Luckily I had a screenshot from before they changed it to prove otherwise or I would have been shafted. I emailed the screenshot to them, they've called me back, apologised and said i was looking at a "different part of the site" or something (not sure how that works as I'm looking at the page they changed!) but have now agreed to collect it.

KeyLargo (or anyone else who bought one), if you decide to return it and end up needing the screenshots as proof, here you go.

kamado.jpg

kamado2.jpg

Well done dude....a lot of members may have been caught out on this....it's bloody disgusting that they try to pull this type of scam of folks.   I will never order anything from them...and everyone should do the same.....hit them where it hurts...in the till..

Ice.

• Like 1

I spoke to the manager again today, they're having problems picking it up as it's off the pallet and in my shed, and the courier company they use won't take it without it being securely strapped up to the pallet and wrapped. They've got someone who can do it but it's a case of waiting until they happen to be in the local area so they can strap it all up, wrap it and take it away on the pallet. In light of this, I quoted a bit of consumer rights law and they have refunded me before collecting it as they are not sure when it will be collected, so that is good of them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tonee said:

Living Social seem to be “selling” a similar model. £30 extra for postage.

https://www.livingsocial.co.uk/deal/shop/garden/10869821/kamado-bbq-grill-389

They have the same issue with the cooking Area. These companies are just taking the text direct from the manufacturer. Any one looking At these inexpensive Kamados please be aware. This is the same size as the Kamado Joe 18" classic. These do not have a 21"(55cm)cooking grill. 21 inches is the outside diameter. They also do not come with a heat deflector. 

That being said. It did a spectacular job on the brisket I cooked the other day. 1/4 bag of lump charcoal, 12 hours at 250f(121c) and it came out absolutly perfect. My first smoked brisket and i nailed it😊. Never had to touch it once i had the temp set. Sorry no photos... I forgot. Will try and get some when i do the pastrami. 

Edited by KeyLargo
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Aldi will have their Kamado's back this year:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/garden-shop/kamado-bbq

I hesitated last year and missed out on this deal (and the larger Morrisons instore deal) so I've added this to my calendar this year!

I trust those who got them last year have no regrets? Been toying with the idea of a Kamado for sometime and the £350, although still not cheap, feels more palatable than £500+ if its not for me. Slightly concerned its too small, although as far as I can tell its a touch smaller than my trusty Weber kettle 47 which has been big enough to date.. 

• Like 1

If its the same one as last year, it will include the 2nd level cooking grill and ceramic heat deflector so you'll have some extra space and don't need to go spending on accessories. If the larger Morrisons one doesn't appear again, this might have to be the one for me! 

• 2 weeks later...