ALDI KAMADO

andya

5 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Wow - I would have assumed those vent settings would smother the fire and put it out altogether. Did it continue to hold its temperature?

Interesting to see this as I’m planning a low and slow small lamb shoulder. Nothing like the size of meat you were cooking, expecting a 4 - 6 hour cook time if I can keep the temps down

How long were you anticipating a 10lb pork shoulder would take?

Moved up a couple of degrees over about 4 hrs. I left the vents as it was in the picture all the way through. I thought it would of smothered it but it didnt. The cook took about 7 hrs. I could of give the meat about a bit longer,took it off at 197f when really it could of gone to about 203f,I thought resting it in the cool box would of pushed it that bit further but it didnt. Oh well you live and learn

5 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Wow - I would have assumed those vent settings would smother the fire and put it out altogether. Did it continue to hold its temperature?

Interesting to see this as I’m planning a low and slow small lamb shoulder. Nothing like the size of meat you were cooking, expecting a 4 - 6 hour cook time if I can keep the temps down

How long were you anticipating a 10lb pork shoulder would take?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 1:05 PM, James Garbett said:

The secret with the felt pads is too peel from the felt side - hard to describe but you will get the knack! 🙂

This is the solution!

Mine arrived today and I remembered this post. Backing was off in seconds. Tried one the other way and an absolute nightmare to remove.

Thanks!!

4 minutes ago, ProudOwner said:

This is the solution!

Mine arrived today and I remembered this post. Backing was off in seconds. Tried one the other way and an absolute nightmare to remove.

Thanks!!

I just the tip of a cutter knife and just pinched the tip in the protective tape. All 8 pads took me less than two minutes

My new family members (AK and Outback)

IMG_20200507_193034.jpg

IMG_20200508_183747.jpg

IMG_20200508_184520.jpg

• Like 3

Great start to the day today, my Kamado finally arrived at 9am. Had to unpack it outside the front of the house as when boxed didn't fit through the door, pleased to report nothing was broken just one small chip on the front enamel (annoying but can live with) and a few hairline cracks around it.  In regards to the adhesive pads, I found my girlfriends nails came in very handy, she had the off in a jiffy. The biggest pain I had was with the handle with the split washers there wasn't enough bite for the head.

Off to give it a cure, ready for low 'n' slow Ox cheek.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 9:16 PM, James Garbett said:

Still need more practice at getting the temp right I think

Loaded it up with plenty lumpwood tonight and got it to 260C but then it just stayed there - that was with bottom vent fully open and the daisywheel in place but with all the holes fully open

Couldn't seem to get it to go any hotter

Anyway managed to grill some lamb chops which were lovely - all vents now closed so assume I will have some lump left I can reuse

Have you checked your thermometer? You can unscrew it and test it by dipping in a pan of boiling water which should be 100⁰c. Or buy a different one to calibrate? I would recommend Inkbird. 

Had mine a couple of weeks now and so far it's been Beef Skirt, Pizza and we had some argentine ribeye last - all have been super delicious with last nights steaks being a massive highlight. Today I'm attempting spatchcock chicken so if there's any tips then let me have them. 

Up thread I saw the pizza YouTube link - my pizza stone broke as it go so hot. Question, if I had used the ceramic heat deflector, would this have saved My stone? 

Any recommendations for pizza stones? I've seen some online nd they're super expensive - do I need to spend that much cash? 

Anyway, here's some piccys.. 

IMG_20200508_202329.jpg

IMG_20200508_200402.jpg

IMG_20200509_181334.jpg

IMG_20200508_203155.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brisketburner2020 said:

Looks great. I've done brisket, pork shoulder and the usual so far. Decent outcomes but I'm def missing a good rub and more subtle elements of the cook. So was was wondering if anyone has any good recipe book recommendations for beginners?

Marcus bawdons food and fire is a good book to start with,the bbq bible is another. Angus and oink do some superb rubs along with smokey carter,killer hogs,kosmos and meat church. For brisket I just use 2 parts ground pepper 1 part salt and as much garlic powder as you prefer usually about 1/8 part for me.

17 minutes ago, Ams1987 said:

Same. Got some details off AO but nothing much 

Screenshot_20200510_114639_com.android.chrome.jpg

Mine came about 3 days after receiving the same email. I had a text message the day before telling me it was on it's way,a text message at 5.30am on the morning it came to tell me it would be arriving between 7-9am and they delivered it at 8am. 

4 hours ago, harry said:

I highly recommend Neil Rankins Low 'n' Slow helped me out a lot as a complete newbie, covers everything, charcoal, smoking woods, rubs, sauces and all recipes done for kamado's

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Doing a leg of lamb tomorrow so while the books are on their way any good online recipes for that?

Ive used mine 4 times in the 10 days I’ve had it.

2x spatchcock chickens (direct heat, skin up until the end then flipped for a couple of mins)

a lamb shoulder (beautifully cooked, bit too much fat, my error not trimming it sufficiently). 

a pork shoulder (best I’ve done, very pleased with it)

overall, I’m chuffed with the Kamado. Very easy to get good results, with more practice I’ll get great results!

The efficiency of this thing is astonishing. I did a low and slow on the lamb shoulder, lit a full bowl of lumpwood at 9am and smothered it at 5pm. Next day took a look and not much had burned, fire bowl still full, so gave it a stir and made sure air holes were clear of ash, then lit it again and ran it from 9:30am to 7pm on the same charcoal to do the pork. Astounding!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Ive used mine 4 times in the 10 days I’ve had it.

2x spatchcock chickens (direct heat, skin up until the end then flipped for a couple of mins)

a lamb shoulder (beautifully cooked, bit too much fat, my error not trimming it sufficiently). 

a pork shoulder (best I’ve done, very pleased with it)

overall, I’m chuffed with the Kamado. Very easy to get good results, with more practice I’ll get great results!

The efficiency of this thing is astonishing. I did a low and slow on the lamb shoulder, lit a full bowl of lumpwood at 9am and smothered it at 5pm. Next day took a look and not much had burned, fire bowl still full, so gave it a stir and made sure air holes were clear of ash, then lit it again and ran it from 9:30am to 7pm on the same charcoal to do the pork. Astounding!

How did you get on with your vents kentish?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Exactly the same as yours for low and slow

I owe you one for posting that, I wouldn’t have thought to shut the vents down to that extent. 

when ever I do low and slow I still get a little paranoid that I have snuffed it out lol. they are pretty amazing with how little oxygen they need👍

22 hours ago, CrackWilliams said:

Had mine a couple of weeks now and so far it's been Beef Skirt, Pizza and we had some argentine ribeye last - all have been super delicious with last nights steaks being a massive highlight. Today I'm attempting spatchcock chicken so if there's any tips then let me have them. 

Up thread I saw the pizza YouTube link - my pizza stone broke as it go so hot. Question, if I had used the ceramic heat deflector, would this have saved My stone? 

Any recommendations for pizza stones? I've seen some online nd they're super expensive - do I need to spend that much cash? 

Anyway, here's some piccys.. 

Have a look how Tom from @Bbq life uk sets up for cooking a Pizza, Pizza Set Up

• Like 1