ALDI KAMADO

andya

Still need more practice at getting the temp right I think

Loaded it up with plenty lumpwood tonight and got it to 260C but then it just stayed there - that was with bottom vent fully open and the daisywheel in place but with all the holes fully open

Couldn't seem to get it to go any hotter

Anyway managed to grill some lamb chops which were lovely - all vents now closed so assume I will have some lump left I can reuse

If you want to get temps over 300C then 2 things can help:-

1, leave the top daisy wheel off.

2, hand load the charcoal only using the biggest pieces, these burn hotter and allow more airflow.

I usually take big chunks out when I load my firebox and keep them seperate for pizza cooks🙂

Our Aldi Kamado arrived on Saturday, we fired it up for the cure and threw on a couple of burgers and bratwursts.

Yesterday,  ( Monday ) i cooked a Spatchcock chicken with a lemon Piri Piri rub and threw on a few Hickory chips. Turned out to be the best chicken that I've ever cooked!

I've not tried indirect cooking yet. So I'll be putting in the deflector plate for VE day, as I'm having a go at low and slow pulled pork with a home made rub and sauce, I have some restaurant quality charcoal ready...... I'm getting some practice in for when social distancing has been relaxed !

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, James Garbett said:

Still need more practice at getting the temp right I think

Loaded it up with plenty lumpwood tonight and got it to 260C but then it just stayed there - that was with bottom vent fully open and the daisywheel in place but with all the holes fully open

Couldn't seem to get it to go any hotter

Anyway managed to grill some lamb chops which were lovely - all vents now closed so assume I will have some lump left I can reuse

When lighting it for a hot burn, did you light in more than one place?

What did the charcoal look like post use, had it burned evenly?

3 minutes ago, James Garbett said:

will take a look tomorrow

used 3 firelighters in different places

Strange - seems like it should be enough to get hotter than that.

The approach in the youtube clip looks good though! Maybe give that a go next time. 

I haven't tried to take mine up to a high temp yet, will report back when I do 

1 minute ago, Kamado newbie said:

Ordered Wednesday lunchtime.  Only an email saying ontrack, no specifics yet.  I'm also in Kent

Same ordered 28th.just had an email syaong don't worry you'll get it one day. Haha. Rung and they said if you don't get it in the 10 days ring back. Same on twitter 

2 minutes ago, James Garbett said:

Has anyone bothered replacing the grill with something cast iron rather than the stainless steel supplied?

I have cast iron griddles, great as an alternative to burgers, chicken breasts and steaks and they get a great sear on them. I would say they are a good addition that complements the stainless grids quite nicely🙂

Right doing my first low and slow on the kamado,got a shoulder of pork that's about 10lb. Filled the AK fire bowl up ,lit a single firefighter at the back of the bowl,opened both vents and let it come up to temp (which was about 250). I also put foil round the deflector plate to stop any drips getting onto it. Sat ok for about an hour but as soon as any juices hit the foil the temps just went crazy it hit as high as 380f,I kept burping it to try and release some of the heat but to no avail. I ended up closing both vents completely until it dropped to 215f, taking the foil of the deflecter and replacing it with an oven tray with some hot water in it. I opened the daisy wheel up a tiny bit and it's been sitting at 240-243f for the last hour. The pictures below are where my vents have been at. Hopefully this may help somebody.

I'm doing another shoulder around the same size for a pal of mine on the pro q and shes been as steady as a rock around the 240f mark. The AK will take some work adjusting things around but I think once you've cracked it you'll be cooking on...............erm coal?

20200507_122538.jpg

20200507_122525.jpg

Edited by Adi dassler
Missed something out
  • Like 1

You really need something to catch the considerable amount of fat that will render out of a pork shoulder . I’ll just flare up an cause a right mess. Also give yourself at least and hour to slowly get it to temp. Full bore to start it isn’t a great idea as you’ll start burning a load of fuel and getting the temperature down on a kamado is a slow process. Have a look on the kamado joe site. Plenty of good information on there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow - I would have assumed those vent settings would smother the fire and put it out altogether. Did it continue to hold its temperature?

Interesting to see this as I’m planning a low and slow small lamb shoulder. Nothing like the size of meat you were cooking, expecting a 4 - 6 hour cook time if I can keep the temps down

How long were you anticipating a 10lb pork shoulder would take?

• Like 1