ALDI KAMADO

andya

14 hours ago, Whatcouldpossiblygowrong said:

That could be handy for us with non big name units?

and the big names too, they are all made in china, exception being green egg which is made in mexico

if you look at some of the spares on these websites you will see joe and other big name spares 

i have bought every thing from photography gear to fishing lures from china, mostly via dhgate as you dont pay until it arrives and your happy with it (dh gate gets the payments from you and then they pay the companies so your not distrubuting your details across all of china to numerous companies!

and some of them are straight from the same factory sometimes with the patent numbers (turns out most americans only take out patents for america and not world wide as they believe they are the centre of the universe ! and most have non distribution contracts with the manufacturers only for goods back into the us which leaves them free to sell original goods branded anywhere else in the world 

(or the sell direct by the back door so to speak regardless of contracts or patents.)...its up to everyone to discuss it with their moral compass and make that decision 

i once bought a genuine american patented flash strobe diffuser when i ran a photography business, it cost 150 quid for one unit from the US, when i lost the top (lid) i sourced where it was made and bought direct from the company, (china) only difference was it had no american patent number, was 100% identical and i got two complete units for $20.00 dollars inc delivery to uk

that made my mind up to research every thing i buy and source from the manufacturer if its made in china. sick of RIP OFF BRITAIN (and the US)

there is a downside.....you dont get it tomorrow or this week.

Edited by andya
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, Luke Vandendyck said:

Just wondering from those of you that have actually purchased this item, what are your views on it and what diameter is the grill itself? 

Cheers 

Hi Luke,

i have used it a few times now for low and slow, i was new to any kind of kamado before this, i find it excellent-amazing fuel economy (as with all kamados)

with the exception of my first cook where i used no drip tray so suffered a flare up  :(  it is very easy to control temps) it comes with all the essentials even inc a quality water repellent cover, the side tables are bamboo so easy to clean and anti bacterial to some degree

the vent slide when your closing it can be accidentally pulled too far across out of the runner if your not careful but if you do it once you wont do it again, its too early to comment on the quality and life expectancy of the steel work-bands and hinges as i only had it for a few month but for the exceptional low price compared to green egg or a Joe if i get 4 or 5 years out of it id  instantly and happily buy another. the quality of the ceramic is so far excellent ( i have not had it much above 500 though) 

and finally your question about size : internal diameter 17.5" with 16" cooking grate, the handles on grate take it to 16.5   ( 45cm and 41 cm) 

Andy

On 5/11/2018 at 9:31 PM, andya said:

and the big names too, they are all made in china, exception being green egg which is made in mexico

if you look at some of the spares on these websites you will see joe and other big name spares 

i have bought every thing from photography gear to fishing lures from china, mostly via dhgate as you dont pay until it arrives and your happy with it (dh gate gets the payments from you and then they pay the companies so your not distrubuting your details across all of china to numerous companies!

and some of them are straight from the same factory sometimes with the patent numbers (turns out most americans only take out patents for america and not world wide as they believe they are the centre of the universe ! and most have non distribution contracts with the manufacturers only for goods back into the us which leaves them free to sell original goods branded anywhere else in the world 

(or the sell direct by the back door so to speak regardless of contracts or patents.)...its up to everyone to discuss it with their moral compass and make that decision 

i once bought a genuine american patented flash strobe diffuser when i ran a photography business, it cost 150 quid for one unit from the US, when i lost the top (lid) i sourced where it was made and bought direct from the company, (china) only difference was it had no american patent number, was 100% identical and i got two complete units for $20.00 dollars inc delivery to uk

that made my mind up to research every thing i buy and source from the manufacturer if its made in china. sick of RIP OFF BRITAIN (and the US)

there is a downside.....you dont get it tomorrow or this week.

Looks like i missed the boat on the aldi kamados, i checked out the chinese sites you mentioned but struggling to find anything for a reasonable price, most of them want $500 for the kamadao and that much again for the shipping, when you add import fees/tax its cheaper to go buy a kamado joe. Is it still possible to get one for around the money of the aldi one? 

Maybe if a group wanted to get together and purchase -items generally get much cheaper then,  but keep searching and check it out often, i saw them for around the $300 mark when i looked

maybe if you are interested in a demo model ? if you maybe intended selling some in the uk ? (wink wink ) then you might get a great deal on the demo model.

• Like 1

Yeah i did wonder if you would get a better deal on the postage if you upped the quantity, id assume for something that large and heavy it would come by boat though so it would be long waits and would probably need to fill a shipoing container to get a deal. Thats alot of kamados to try and group buy! Hopefully another UK retailer does a similar deal to the Aldi one, i know Morrisons did the same one but slightly larger a few weeks ago but ive missed that one too it seems, shame as these kamados look like decent bits of kit for the money

Wandering off a little here but I've just found out my mums boss can get landmann bbqs from one of his suppliers, does anyone here have experience with the kamado as although I'm unsure of prices as of yet I'm pretty certain they will be at least 25% less than retail. Which brings me to my next question are there any other landmann grills worth considering? 

Lastly if there's anyone interested in a landmann grill I'm sure I can add items on to my order and share the discount with you guys. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ahdinko said:

I did go and have a gander, they look good but would be nice to hear from someone who owns one, most things look good in the pictures! 

Agreed, I think I'm just gonna take the plunge, they can't be any worse than the ones on eBay for £500+, at least with these you get a manufacturers 20 year guarantee 

3 hours ago, Luke Vandendyck said:

Agreed, I think I'm just gonna take the plunge, they can't be any worse than the ones on eBay for £500+, at least with these you get a manufacturers 20 year guarantee 

Let me know what price you can get it for please :)

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, KeyLargo said:

Bar b quick are now selling the same unit, 399 delivered. Just bought one... Will update. 

Smegging hell KeyLargo don't do this to me t2804.gif  t2804.gif  Now I have to convince the wife that it's imperative that we have one,  the world will end tomorrow if we don't order one today. m1437.gif

Joking aside that is a fantastic price, but having just moved home my piggy bank is looking a bit sick,  so I'll just have to wait until the next time they come around at this price.

https://www.barbequick.com/mag/index.php/bar-be-quick-premium-kamado-grill-21-53cm-394.html

Ice. m1437.gif

Edited by Icefever
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, KeyLargo said:

Bar b quick are now selling the same unit, 399 delivered. Just bought one... Will update. 

Thanks for the heads up, it's a great price. I bought one too. .. 3-5 days for delivery they reckon so should hopefully have it next week! 

Expect 5 days... I order tuesday night. And it has not left the shop yet... I was hopin it would have been here tomorrow so ide have it for the weekend. Oh well. Ide keep the first few  cooks low and slow to make sure it is fully dried, and ramp up hot cooks a little slower. These ones are not as robust as the Big Boy kamodos from what i have read. 

Have fun with yours.. Cant wait for mine. 😁