ALDI KAMADO

andya

1 hour ago, Jeff C said:

Been following for the last few weeks - I ordered an AK over 10 days ago and all I've had is 3 emails telling me its "on track" but no dispatch email. Was hoping to use it over the weekend- I have even bought a thermometer and the basket from ProQ,along with lumpwood and smoking woods in preparation. ( arrived within 48hours).

Now worried that I'll end up with someone else's returned unit.

4 minutes ago, Steve Davies said:

Im in the same boat, ordered on the 17th and was told dispatch on the 20th or up to 7 days after.

I have even ordered and received the set of stainless heat deflectors, grill/plancha and pizza stone from @Gavin Ball I just hope the AK turns up now or I have some very well made and pretty stainless ornaments.

You guys are probably both the subject of XDP's seemingly slow interaction with Aldi.  From what I've heard and seen AO is much slicker in picking up stock from Aldi and passing it through their system.  I've had one delivery by XDP (took about 15 working days from ordering) and one from AO (took around 8 working days from ordering though others have had theirs more quickly).

1 hour ago, mackerel said:

You guys are probably both the subject of XDP's seemingly slow interaction with Aldi.  From what I've heard and seen AO is much slicker in picking up stock from Aldi and passing it through their system.  I've had one delivery by XDP (took about 15 working days from ordering) and one from AO (took around 8 working days from ordering though others have had theirs more quickly).

Just been informed it has dispatched! I was planning to go to our new caravan tomorrow as well :D 

29 minutes ago, Smokin_Bee said:

Just to update that the smaller, £16 ProQ charcoal basket fits my Kamado that was delivered last week. Nice bit of space down the sides too.

CB99389E-9D48-4E31-BD13-04EDE654AC8C.jpeg

Looks like a perfect fit.  Loving the theme of kitting out the AK with great value accessories!

• Thanks 1

I Just wanted to share some research in regards to the divide and conquer system for anyone interested in purchasing one. I started by looking at the YNNI 20”. D&C. After researching the product code/SKU; TQDC20 this turns out to be the TOPQ manufacturer model. Anyway YNNI sells these for £127. I found the exact same item on the Kamodobono & Kamadokings websites for £99 (same product code). They are labelled as Multifunction two-zone grilling system (Media). Please note you have to get the media model. I was lucky enough to get one and it fits my 2021 Aldi Kamado and cheaper than buying from YNNI . I also ordered the Ash catcher (Media) which is the ash basket from Kamadobono £54:99. It arrives tomorrow so if it fits I’ll confirm back on this thread. 

Update: the media ash catcher fits but diameter is 30 cm not 32 as stated on kamado kings website. The top handles will catch the divide and conquer if you want to use the spacer for the coals. Im not sure if I the considerable gap around the edge is a good or bad thing? Any advice appreciated. Picture attached

7CF20D61-C481-4F94-802D-4D5AAE7C926B.jpeg

818F693D-032A-4A63-901E-669811DB90E2.jpeg

Edited by Kowleone
Update
  • Like 2

i seem to recall somewhere in this mega-thread instructions for adjusting the lid to ensure a closed fit but cant find it right now. I made some yummy stuff last night then closed all the vents to snuff out the fire and saw some wispy smoke got out near the rear hinge between top and bottom..not a lot, ,and not a big deal, but something i want to adjust. My overhang between lid and base also isnt so consistent to my ocd habits so would like to try work this out too...thoughts?

Happy Friday all! 

Had the AK for around a month now and have had success with Brisket and Gammon (Gammon is amazing on the AK by the way) as well as the standard sausages, chicken etc. 

Now I want to up my game... Can anyone point me in the direction of good spices/rubs? Tubby Toms is great company I found but wondering if anyone has used a good Supermarket brand or some cost effective rubs on the internet? 

Also, has anyone tried brining? How do you do it and is it worth it? 

So every year around this time I start getting notifications about this thread. Sad to see the delivery aspect hasn’t improved at all! 2 years in I love mine. In terms of upgrades I recently replaced the temp gauge for the Prosmoke BBQ 3” (£20). The thread is just about long enough to screw on securely. I really like the enlarged increments and I’m not fussed it tops out at just over 300 deg c. I won’t be doing pizza in my AK.

Just my tuppence on upgrades. I’m off to check this charcoal basket out...

14 minutes ago, Toucs said:

So every year around this time I start getting notifications about this thread. Sad to see the delivery aspect hasn’t improved at all! 2 years in I love mine. In terms of upgrades I recently replaced the temp gauge for the Prosmoke BBQ 3” (£20). The thread is just about long enough to screw on securely. I really like the enlarged increments and I’m not fussed it tops out at just over 300 deg c. I won’t be doing pizza in my AK.

The delivery service is very poor.  If you call Aldi they're always helpful - but they decided to use a bargain basement logistics company (XDP).  Add to this the fragile nature of ceramics of any kind - kamados being just one example, imagine shipping a pile of china plates from China to Europe - and you have a very risky recipe for good customer service.

On a positive note it's good to see Aldi using AO as delivery partner.  They really are streets ahead of XDP.

17 hours ago, Toucs said:

Has anyone had any success at cooking over 300c?

I know a lot of the ‘bigger’ brands can handle very high heat.

22 minutes ago, flipmark said:

Has anyone had any success at cooking over 300c?

I know a lot of the ‘bigger’ brands can handle very high heat.

Pizzas I regularly cook at 325c and I've done reverse sear steak at 400c ( wasnt much better end result the 250c to be honest) 

1 hour ago, Bbq life uk said:

Pizzas I regularly cook at 325c and I've done reverse sear steak at 400c ( wasnt much better end result the 250c to be honest) 

Yes, that's exactly correct. Pizza Romana should be lower around 300c max 350c for that crispier drier base that is more solid. 

pizza napoletana is higher at 450c. I don't see why a kamado, like the Aldi one, with good quality dry charcoal, air around charcoal, can't get to 600c for a pyrolitic clean. Even the Weber summit insulated kettle can hit past 650c. 

Aldi is pretty thick 3cm ceramic. 

Your only enemy is moisture (in the clay and charcoal) and rapid temp changes. 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, sbottstar said:

Happy Friday all! 

Had the AK for around a month now and have had success with Brisket and Gammon (Gammon is amazing on the AK by the way) as well as the standard sausages, chicken etc. 

Now I want to up my game... Can anyone point me in the direction of good spices/rubs? Tubby Toms is great company I found but wondering if anyone has used a good Supermarket brand or some cost effective rubs on the internet? 

Also, has anyone tried brining? How do you do it and is it worth it? 

Meatheads's Memphis rub recipe (Amazingribs.com) is a good base, I use that as the starting point for most of my rubs but I tend to 1/2 the sugar, for chicken his herb rub recipe is good.  My wife, trying to be helpful, bought some Nando rubs but they were far too salty when used as recommended on wings.

I dry brine everything, it makes the world of difference and that is a good reason not to buy rubs because they mostly have salt in and make it hard to control the salt.

I use 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt per lb of meat or half that if it is boney like ribs or wings.  Do not use standard table salt.  Big pieces, like a rack of ribs, spatchcock chicken or pork shoulder I brine for 24 hours, wings and drumsticks I do for 2 or 3 hours, I believe it makes a huge difference.  Have a look at Amazingribs for the science.

Realised last night that I need a new gasket, know there's been a bit of chat last few pages but wondering if there is a go to option for the 20" aldi one from last year. 

Oh and has anyone bought a bench for theirs? I have a little bbq area for my AK and my ooni and have enough space for a bit of a prep area in the middle. Seen some options on etsy and the like but was thinking I could make something, although it won't look as good! 

Edited by paulinportsmouth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin_Bee said:

That’s awesome. Nicely done. I wouldn’t know where to start to build something like that. Makes a nice area to work with.

It is pretty straightforward to be honest. Don’t need many tools either. Though a good saw and impact driver is essential.  

• Like 1

Ordered mine on Wednesday and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I intend on getting one of the divide and conquor systems but not sure which one to go for. I was thinking of getting the Appliances direct one and getting a split steel deflector laser cut, still cheaper than the YNNI or the Kamado Kings one but it is also a little smaller and I am not sure if it might be worth the extra for the larger grill diameter or if it will make no difference.

Edited by Mighty1968
typo