ALDI KAMADO

andya

2 hours ago, wolfylee said:

Hey mate - how did you get on with the basket and D & C togther?

Hey! I sent the basket back! It was to small. I don’t have any basket at the moment as I gave up looking for a suitable fit. I find it easy enough to to clean out with one TBH.  

3 minutes ago, Kowleone said:

Hey! I sent the basket back! It was to small. I don’t have any basket at the moment as I gave up looking for a suitable fit. I find it easy enough to to clean out with one TBH.  

Thanks for responding mate, I was wondering if I'm looking for an excuse to spend more money!

The 20" YNNI D&C was ok though? 

7 minutes ago, wolfylee said:

Thanks for responding mate, I was wondering if I'm looking for an excuse to spend more money!

The 20" YNNI D&C was ok though? 

Yes Mate, the D&C fits perfectly. Get it from kamadobono it was the best price I could find. 

6 hours ago, wolfylee said:

Does anyone have any info on a BBQ controller that might work/fit for the Aldi Kamado?

I’d imagine any of the popular controllers on the market would fit and work with the relevant adapter plate.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wolfylee said:

Does anyone have any info on a BBQ controller that might work/fit for the Aldi Kamado?

The BBQ guru and flame boss options all have universal adapters. If I could afford one I would get the BBQ guru ultraq with WiFi. 

Apparently inkbird have one on Amazon but I couldn't see any availability. 

Hi All, I received my AK this morning and it arrived in almost perfect condition.  The bottom of the fire box had a small chip in it, but no cracks, so assume it will be fine.  Other issue is with the brackets for the side shelves. Thought I was being dumb (which I may be) but looks like it included three brackets for RHS and only one for LHS    So can only attach one shelf.  Any suggestions on whether I should contact Aldi or just best to go direct to  La Hacienda.  TIA

12 minutes ago, Claremont said:

Hi All, I received my AK this morning and it arrived in almost perfect condition.  The bottom of the fire box had a small chip in it, but no cracks, so assume it will be fine.  Other issue is with the brackets for the side shelves. Thought I was being dumb (which I may be) but looks like it included three brackets for RHS and only one for LHS    So can only attach one shelf.  Any suggestions on whether I should contact Aldi or just best to go direct to  La Hacienda.  TIA

My firebox cracked (2020 edition) about 6 months in and I contacted La Hacienda - they were excellent and sent out a new one immediately.

This is my long winded way of saying I would go to La Hacienda in the first instance as it's them that can remedy the issue. 

21 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

My firebox cracked (2020 edition) about 6 months in and I contacted La Hacienda - they were excellent and sent out a new one immediately.

This is my long winded way of saying I would go to La Hacienda in the first instance as it's them that can remedy the issue. 

I agree with this - my mate bought the mini kamado last week and his firebox was broken.  La Hacienda sent him out the firebox for the large one instead and then when he contacted them as it was the wrong one they told him to just keep it and they sent him the right one - they must be awash with them.  They didn't want receipt or order number or anything - literally just needed an address to send it to!  Make sure you contact the warranty number on the instructions though, not Aldi 👍

13 hours ago, Chrisah1 said:

The BBQ guru and flame boss options all have universal adapters. If I could afford one I would get the BBQ guru ultraq with WiFi. 

Apparently inkbird have one on Amazon but I couldn't see any availability. 

Thnaks Chris, I might look at them - been struggling with temps a bit, not sure whether to get a controller or spend the money on practise and meat! 😀

49 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Thank you.  I have contacted La Hacienda.  Now need to decide what goes on for first cook. 

25 minutes ago, wolfylee said:

Thnaks Chris, I might look at them - been struggling with temps a bit, not sure whether to get a controller or spend the money on practise and meat! 😀

That is a great point! Depends on what you're cooking. I can easily believe on the more expensive and weightier cuts a failed cook could easily add up. 

You can try and practice on an empty grill without food to start I guess (bearing mind fuel costs). 

Fireboard with blower fan looks to be the newest option. £250 for unit and probes and £65 for the blower. 

BBQ guru dynaq and ultraq full kits are £400 and £470. 

The older bbq boss controller doesn't seem to be stocked. 

No idea if kamado Joe Ikammand will fit. 

29 minutes ago, Chrisah1 said:

That is a great point! Depends on what you're cooking. I can easily believe on the more expensive and weightier cuts a failed cook could easily add up. 

You can try and practice on an empty grill without food to start I guess (bearing mind fuel costs). 

Fireboard with blower fan looks to be the newest option. £250 for unit and probes and £65 for the blower. 

BBQ guru dynaq and ultraq full kits are £400 and £470. 

The older bbq boss controller doesn't seem to be stocked. 

No idea if kamado Joe Ikammand will fit. 

Brill info Chris, thank you.

The reviews on the fireboard drive with blower look very decent indeed - the BBQ guru appears to have an achilles heel in terms of its app.

I like your idea to try practising with chacoal on it's own - a 15kg bag of Big K should give me plenty of practise for only £16. 

I have a question though, and I know it's likely been asked before.  If I was to cook shortribs, as an example, at 225 F - should I be looking at my dome temp or grill temp, as they are often different.  My intuition screams that it's obviously the grill temp I should be monitoring as that's where the food is cooked but most videos and people I see online say they go off the dome temp.

3 hours ago, wolfylee said:

Brill info Chris, thank you.

The reviews on the fireboard drive with blower look very decent indeed - the BBQ guru appears to have an achilles heel in terms of its app.

I like your idea to try practising with chacoal on it's own - a 15kg bag of Big K should give me plenty of practise for only £16. 

I have a question though, and I know it's likely been asked before.  If I was to cook shortribs, as an example, at 225 F - should I be looking at my dome temp or grill temp, as they are often different.  My intuition screams that it's obviously the grill temp I should be monitoring as that's where the food is cooked but most videos and people I see online say they go off the dome temp.

Grill is always different to dome unless it's been calibrated to have an offset. 

I personally look at grill temp closest to the heat source and between the meat to keep it from going too high. 

Honestly you should look at both temps. Many people enjoy hotter and faster ribs which would be dome 225 as grill will be higher. 

I tend to cook short ribs at around 275f (anywhere between 250 and 280f is fine), basically following this method.

I take my pit temps from the grill, I don't bother going to an internal temp on the ribs, just when they feel right when probing, should be like soft butter.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tedmus said:

I tend to cook short ribs at around 275f (anywhere between 250 and 280f is fine), basically following this method.

I take my pit temps from the grill, I don't bother going to an internal temp on the ribs, just when they feel right when probing, should be like soft butter.

Thanks for this, I did short ribs and pulled them way to early(just based on temp, although we had to eat) and they were rubbish.

I have three giant ribs left and will follow this vid and your advice - pull when done, not when the themometer tells me! 

6 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing a shoulder of lamb over the weekend if the weather holds out. Would appreciate any tips or recipes. Thanks in advance.

I smoked a shoulder of lamb last Sunday for 10 hours until it was falling off the bone and it was raining most of the day.

4 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Sounds good to me, did you use any rub or herbs? What about smoking wood?

I marinated it over night in an anchovy, garlic, salt, rosemary and olive oil marinade that I blended myself but you could choose what ever flavours you like best. I didn't use any wood and I'm glad I didn't as I used CPL restaurant charcoal and the meat had a good smokey flavour and a noticeable smoke ring. I did two large whole chickens a few weeks ago, one with the same marinade and one with a Thai marinade, smoked with beech and the Thai one was great but the garlic, salt, rosemary and olive oil marinade chicken was overpowered by the smoke of the beech.

49 minutes ago, Gigasonix said:

I marinated it over night in an anchovy, garlic, salt, rosemary and olive oil marinade that I blended myself but you could choose what ever flavours you like best. I didn't use any wood and I'm glad I didn't as I used CPL restaurant charcoal and the meat had a good smokey flavour and a noticeable smoke ring. I did two large whole chickens a few weeks ago, one with the same marinade and one with a Thai marinade, smoked with beech and the Thai one was great but the garlic, salt, rosemary and olive oil marinade chicken was overpowered by the smoke of the beech.

Hi there, was thinking of keeping it simple....salt, pepper  and some oregano, but some garlic for sure!

Just got 15 bags of CPL delivered and I'm impressed with the size of the chunks...better prices than BigK and Globaltic etc 👍🏻

Am new to this so keeping an eye on everything !

Just now, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Hi there, was thinking of keeping it simple....salt, pepper  and some oregano, but some garlic for sure!

Just got 15 bags of CPL delivered and I'm impressed with the size of the chunks...better prices than BigK and Globaltic etc 👍🏻

Am new to this so keeping an eye on everything !

15 bags? I’ve used a full bag of BigK ach15 dura over about 1 month and about 1/4 of a bag of  CPL  and I think they are very similar in quality 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gigasonix said:

15 bags? I’ve used a full bag of BigK ach15 dura over about 1 month and about 1/4 of a bag of  CPL  and I think they are very similar in quality 

Yeah, 15 as you get a discount thru their website.....did I mention I was a tight  b@st........😁

This batch is the best Ive had from CPL....waterproof bags and huge chunks 👍🏻

On 7/8/2021 at 2:17 PM, Claremont said:

As suggested, La Hacienda were very responsive.  Have said new bracket will be with me within the week.  

Having now used the AK for a few cooks, must say I’m even more impressed than I expected.  Did a pork shoulder yesterday and was by far the easiest long coo I have ever done. Bark wasn’t as dark as I had hoped for, but that’s for me to work on.  Also, I expected it to be efficient on charcoal, but it still surprised me that a nine hour burn used so little.