ALDI KAMADO

andya

Just done a spatchcock chicken today, covered in red chilli, garlic and lime. 

Possibly best thing ever cooked on a BBQ. Think having the inkbird thermometer helped! Put couple jacket potatoes on grill too whilst slow cooking/smoking the chicken!

Was able to keep temperature steady today, unlike first attempt with the pork, couldn’t keep it high enough. Don’t think used enough charcoal.

6 hours ago, Claremont said:

As suggested, La Hacienda were very responsive.  Have said new bracket will be with me within the week.  

Having now used the AK for a few cooks, must say I’m even more impressed than I expected.  Did a pork shoulder yesterday and was by far the easiest long coo I have ever done. Bark wasn’t as dark as I had hoped for, but that’s for me to work on.  Also, I expected it to be efficient on charcoal, but it still surprised me that a nine hour burn used so little.

That's really good to hear - I'm doing one tomorrow, going to follow the 3-2-1 method here.  I'm going to give it a sage rub though and serve it with sage and onion stuffing.  My throw a bit of hickory and oak on 👍

Don't think I'm bothered about amazing bark - probbaly because I don't think I've ever tasted it :)

19 minutes ago, Dan_Mol said:

Just done a spatchcock chicken today, covered in red chilli, garlic and lime. 

Possibly best thing ever cooked on a BBQ. Think having the inkbird thermometer helped! Put couple jacket potatoes on grill too whilst slow cooking/smoking the chicken!

Was able to keep temperature steady today, unlike first attempt with the pork, couldn’t keep it high enough. Don’t think used enough charcoal.

That does sound good!  What temp did you do it, was it direct or indirect - in fact can I have exact instructions, including marinades so that I can try it 👍😀

Couldi get some advice from someone knowledgable please:

I'm going to get a plancha and I was thinking of ordering this 41cm plancha from proq - is there any reason not to go so large?  The kamado is 45cm at grill level and so there will be a 2cm gap all the way around as well as the slight cutout for airflow.

I'm not sure if I should be worried about fats/oils driiping over the side as it would hit the top of the firebox or kamado walls inside...do you think I'm overthinking it?

5 minutes ago, wolfylee said:

That does sound good!  What temp did you do it, was it direct or indirect - in fact can I have exact instructions, including marinades so that I can try it 👍😀

150c indirect heat! For about 3hrs, got internal chicken temp into low 80’s I put chilli, lime, garlic and tiny bit of chicken stock in a foil drip tray too.

Just now, Dan_Mol said:

150c indirect heat! For about 3hrs, got internal chicken temp into low 80’s I put chilli, lime, garlic and tiny bit of chicken stock in a foil drip tray too.

Nice one, I like the ingredients in the foil drip tray idea.

I smoked a spatchcok yesterday and the flavour was superb but the chicken skin, if I'm being honest, was a little rubbery. It was 225-250 indirect.  I'll bump the temp up next time 👍

20210709_181105.jpg

21 hours ago, Gigasonix said:

I smoked a shoulder of lamb last Sunday for 10 hours until it was falling off the bone and it was raining most of the day.

Soooo, I made a simple rub of salt pepper, garlic, oregano and rosemary....set the temp too high and so after 7 hours I thought it would be destroyed if I left it any longer......I was wrong!  On the plus side, I put some wings in to keep the lamb company for a couple of hours and once the lamb was removed, I cranked the heat up and they were lush 👌🏻😀

18 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Soooo, I made a simple rub of salt pepper, garlic, oregano and rosemary....set the temp too high and so after 7 hours I thought it would be destroyed if I left it any longer......I was wrong!  On the plus side, I put some wings in to keep the lamb company for a couple of hours and once the lamb was removed, I cranked the heat up and they were lush 👌🏻😀

Oh wow, that's my next one then - shoulder of lamb with lashings of mint!

Am I crazy to think the drip pan, with water in it, would make a good gravy? 🤔

2 hours ago, wolfylee said:

Oh wow, that's my next one then - shoulder of lamb with lashings of mint!

Am I crazy to think the drip pan, with water in it, would make a good gravy? 🤔

Well, don't do what I did! The wings were great, but the lamb was not so great (but still eatable). I went too hot at the start and struggled to get the temperature down, then I was worried I'd put the fire out, so I yoyo'd my way through the cook.

Lessons learned....1: Low means LOW! Stop being an impatient gorilla! 2: Stop looking at your meat 🍖 🤣 3: Cook more wings....coz you're good at them !

With regards to the drip tray....not sure to be honest....I put around 500ml of water in mine and topped up and there wasn't much in there at the end, so please let me know what happens with your effort 👍🏻

Cheers.

No water needed in a kamado, by design they keep moisture inside the cooking chamber.

Lamb shoulder is great cooked at smoking temp, 6-7 hours or so, 93c for pulling, depends on how you want it, 90c will do for pulling chunks off. Go easy on the smoke though. Bit of olive smoke works for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys, I picked up a LIDL mini kamado a few weeks ago and have been loving the thing!

I have realized however that when I use my thermopro TP17 thermometer to measure the grill and internal meat temperatures that they take up so much space in the tiny Kamado. Does anyone know of any smaller probes that I would be able to use with the thermopro that would allow me to fit them inside easier?

Ideally if I could bend one of them to the same circumference of the grill so it looped around the outside of the grill area when taking the grill surface temp, that would save me a lot of space on the grill for cooking.... 

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Hi again helpful people! I will attempt some short ribs tomorrow, so will try to maintain around 260f for around 6/7 hours as that seems to be the general consensus. As the temperature is low, do I still require the heat deflector and should I use a drip tray (without water)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Hi again helpful people! I will attempt some short ribs tomorrow, so will try to maintain around 260f for around 6/7 hours as that seems to be the general consensus. As the temperature is low, do I still require the heat deflector and should I use a drip tray (without water)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I'd definitley use a drip tray covered with foil(no water) to keep drippings off the heat deflector - mine broke and definitely don't pull the shortribs until your probe goes through them with no resistance - my probe read 205f but mine definitely werent ready for pulling(or eating)

They the only tips I have as mine weren't very good 😀

18 hours ago, Frank1203 said:

Hi guys, I picked up a LIDL mini kamado a few weeks ago and have been loving the thing!

I have realized however that when I use my thermopro TP17 thermometer to measure the grill and internal meat temperatures that they take up so much space in the tiny Kamado. Does anyone know of any smaller probes that I would be able to use with the thermopro that would allow me to fit them inside easier?

Ideally if I could bend one of them to the same circumference of the grill so it looped around the outside of the grill area when taking the grill surface temp, that would save me a lot of space on the grill for cooking.... 

I'm suprised you don't have room for the probes.  Are you using a delector plate becuase if not then I don't think you want a grill probe as it would be exposed to the flame and you might damage it.  Perhaps you could angle the 'food' probe vertically so it doesn't take any room?

2 minutes ago, wolfylee said:

I'm suprised you don't have room for the probes.  Are you using a delector plate becuase if not then I don't think you want a grill probe as it would be exposed to the flame and you might damage it.  Perhaps you could angle the 'food' probe vertically so it doesn't take any room?

Hi Lee, 

I do have room for the probes but I just find with the length of them and such a small grill space it doesn't leave me with a lot of area surface for food once the grill probe is attached. I mean I managed to do a full chicken and a pork shoulder at the weekend (both indirect with a deflector & in seperate cooks) pushing the limits of what it could hold but I would just like to try create more space for future cooks and have a smuch of the grill space as possible usable. 

If their are no smaller probe alternatives then its not the end of the world :D

2 minutes ago, Frank1203 said:

Hi Lee, 

I do have room for the probes but I just find with the length of them and such a small grill space it doesn't leave me with a lot of area surface for food once the grill probe is attached. I mean I managed to do a full chicken and a pork shoulder at the weekend (both indirect with a deflector & in seperate cooks) pushing the limits of what it could hold but I would just like to try create more space for future cooks and have a smuch of the grill space as possible usable. 

If their are no smaller probe alternatives then its not the end of the world :D

Perhaps you could use the meat itself as a grill probe holder and poke the probe 'through' 😀

1 hour ago, wolfylee said:

I'd definitley use a drip tray covered with foil(no water) to keep drippings off the heat deflector - mine broke and definitely don't pull the shortribs until your probe goes through them with no resistance - my probe read 205f but mine definitely werent ready for pulling(or eating)

They the only tips I have as mine weren't very good 😀

Cheers wolfy, I've wrapped my deflector in foil and am happy with that for now, I will put a tray on top of it though to prevent a flare up.

Will slather some hot sauce on the meat then cover in salt and pepper and see how that turns out.

Wish me luck!

On 7/13/2021 at 1:03 PM, Frank1203 said:

You could run a burn with just a probe on the grill and measure what the dome thermometer reads against the probe maybe? Then you will have an idea of pit temp using the dome gauge.

4 minutes ago, tedmus said:

You could run a burn with just a probe on the grill and measure what the dome thermometer reads against the probe maybe? Then you will have an idea of pit temp using the dome gauge.

My head wouldn't allow that, I know I would constantly be second guessing it unfortunately... haha 🙈bloody BBQ anxiety! 

7 hours ago, Frank1203 said:

ahhh... yes good shout, I like that idea! I will try that next time! Thanks a lot 👌

I'd half-recommend a Meater+.  I have one (and a Lidl mini kamado) and the probe is very small.  Reason for not recommending wholeheartedly is just the price and I'm not 100% convinced the reading is all that accurate, but it certainly fits easily inside the Lidl

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mackerel said:

I'd half-recommend a Meater+.  I have one (and a Lidl mini kamado) and the probe is very small.  Reason for not recommending wholeheartedly is just the price and I'm not 100% convinced the reading is all that accurate, but it certainly fits easily inside the Lidl

People have very mixed opinions about it. I think it is too easy to introduce user errror. And the ambient temp is very limited by probe placement and people don't understand that. 

11 minutes ago, mackerel said:

Thanks for the response - Yeah the price on those is a bit steep but thats some handy info to know for the future, maybe if theirs some good amazon prime day deals or such 👍