ALDI KAMADO

andya

Hi all,

I am new here (I will do a proper introduction in the appropriate section shortly) and managed to bag myself an Aldi Kamado on Sunday. Unfortunately, today I experienced the fabled delivery service... The AK arrived having broken free of its box and on its side in the back of the van.

The egg seemed to be in one piece, so I have accepted the delivery rather than rejecting it entirely, and I have spoken to Aldi already. I now have 3 options, if it has managed to survive I can keep it, I can return it for a full refund, or if it is damaged but I am willing to accept it I can discuss this with Aldi and keep it with a partial refund (up to 20% apparently).

I’ve started to go round the ceramics with a fine-tooth comb, there aren’t any large cracks / dents, but there are a few minor marks. Before I make any decision, I am hoping some of the more experienced AK owners here can guide me on weather I am being overly picky because I’ve had to check it to this level and the imperfections I’ve found so far are actually normal / won’t impact the functionality of the AK or whether I need to send it back because they’ll cause it to fail / are major issues.  

There is a tiny crack on the inside of the dome – hopefully 2 pictures of this are attached, one wide angle shot to show the size of it and one zoomed in.

There is a small crack on the fire bowl.

There appears to be some very light crazing on the external glaze.

Any help / input would be much appreciated!

Thanks, James.

Dome crack wide shot.jpg

Dome crack closest.jpg

Firebowl crack wide shot.jpg

Firebowl crack close.jpg

External glazing 1.jpg

External side mark and lip marks.jpg

Edited by James H

2 hours ago, James H said:

Hi all,

I am new here (I will do a proper introduction in the appropriate section shortly) and managed to bag myself an Aldi Kamado on Sunday. Unfortunately, today I experienced the fabled delivery service... The AK arrived having broken free of its box and on its side in the back of the van.

The egg seemed to be in one piece, so I have accepted the delivery rather than rejecting it entirely, and I have spoken to Aldi already. I now have 3 options, if it has managed to survive I can keep it, I can return it for a full refund, or if it is damaged but I am willing to accept it I can discuss this with Aldi and keep it with a partial refund (up to 20% apparently).

I’ve started to go round the ceramics with a fine-tooth comb, there aren’t any large cracks / dents, but there are a few minor marks. Before I make any decision, I am hoping some of the more experienced AK owners here can guide me on weather I am being overly picky because I’ve had to check it to this level and the imperfections I’ve found so far are actually normal / won’t impact the functionality of the AK or whether I need to send it back because they’ll cause it to fail / are major issues.  

There is a tiny crack on the inside of the dome – hopefully 2 pictures of this are attached, one wide angle shot to show the size of it and one zoomed in.

Thanks, James.

Dome crack wide shot.jpg

Dome crack closest.jpg

Firebowl crack close.jpg

External glazing 1.jpg

Hey James - so personally I would say this is fine.  You're within your rights to send it back, or ask for a partial credit of Aldi, about that small crack in the internal ceramic.  But you'll probably get another crack or two once you fire it up to temperature and they won't cause any problems.  Any replacement (if Aldi get more in stock in June) would require you to fight it out in the online queue early on a Sunday morning, and might well get delivered with a minor imperfection somewhere else.  Or even, like mine and others, completely smashed.

On the crazed glazing I've seen this on most kamados and wouldn't worry about that either.  These things are going to get dirty and the differential of thermal expansion will likely result in crazing also.  Again, not something I'd worry about.  My Lidl kamado is crazed also.

Your options are open, but as the ancient Chinese proverb goes, "an Aldi Kamado in the hand is worth two in the bush" :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mackerel said:

Hey James - so personally I would say this is fine.  You're within your rights to send it back, or ask for a partial credit of Aldi, about that small crack in the internal ceramic.  But you'll probably get another crack or two once you fire it up to temperature and they won't cause any problems.  Any replacement (if Aldi get more in stock in June) would require you to fight it out in the online queue early on a Sunday morning, and might well get delivered with a minor imperfection somewhere else.  Or even, like mine and others, completely smashed.

On the crazed glazing I've seen this on most kamados and wouldn't worry about that either.  These things are going to get dirty and the differential of thermal expansion will likely result in crazing also.  Again, not something I'd worry about.  My Lidl kamado is crazed also.

Your options are open, but as the ancient Chinese proverb goes, "an Aldi Kamado in the hand is worth two in the bush" :)

Hi,

Thank you for the advice / guidance... I had to get up and fight the online queue to get this one! I had always read that managing to place the order was only 'phase 1', but I must admit I did have my hopes up that I would somehow get lucky. 

As long as the little defects I've spotted, which I may have only ever noticed because I have been looking so hard, don't cause it either not perform as well as it should or fail prematurely I am happy to keep it... Although I will be be considering discussing the partial refund with Aldi. I have also noticed I have no ash scrapper with the unit, so I am guessing that is still rattling around the back of delivery van :( 

Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, James H said:

Hi,

Thank you for the advice / guidance... I had to get up and fight the online queue to get this one! I had always read that managing to place the order was only 'phase 1', but I must admit I did have my hopes up that I would somehow get lucky. 

As long as the little defects I've spotted, which I may have only ever noticed because I have been looking so hard, don't cause it either not perform as well as it should or fail prematurely I am happy to keep it... Although I will be be considering discussing the partial refund with Aldi. I have also noticed I have no ash scrapper with the unit, so I am guessing that is still rattling around the back of delivery van :( 

Thanks again!

They'll probably put you in touch with La Hacienda who make the units who can send you an ash scraper.  Their number is in the user manual.  Nice people who will help if they can.

On a related note, pretty impressed with how quickly your AK arrived since you only bought it at the weekend.  Typical experience is a good 2 weeks before they start to get delivered.

15 minutes ago, Comacchio said:

I've had notification of dispatch today. Got the dreaded XDP as courier however - really hoping it arrives in 1 piece! Not really sure when it's being delivered yet, just says it's been collected - can't see from which depot however.

Fingers crossed for you!

I had AO as a courier and that didn't seem to be much better to be honest.

There is a clear label on the side of the crate saying to keep it upright and not tip it over.  I caught my two couriers sliding it out of the van at a 45 degree angle, then tipping it to about 60 degrees to get it onto their sack truck.  To be fair on them, their company hadn't provided them with a pump truck or anything that could actually be used to keep it upright.

4 hours ago, James H said:

Hi all,

Thanks, James.

Dome crack wide shot.jpg

Dome crack closest.jpg

Firebowl crack close.jpg

External glazing 1.jpg

The outer glaze looking cracked is fine. That's how most glaze can go - even glazed lavastone. 

I am not sure about the inner cracks. They are not ideal. It would be wise to send the photos to La Hacienda and Aldi to query and confirm. 

Uktinately if you keep it dry and also don't change temperatures abruptly it should be ok. Hopefully you won't subject it to extreme temps and frost in general. 

8 minutes ago, Chrisah1 said:

The outer glaze looking cracked is fine. That's how most glaze can go - even glazed lavastone. 

I am not sure about the inner cracks. They are not ideal. It would be wise to send the photos to La Hacienda and Aldi to query and confirm. 

Uktinately if you keep it dry and also don't change temperatures abruptly it should be ok. Hopefully you won't subject it to extreme temps and frost in general. 

Thanks for the advice!

Assuming I do decide to keep it (which I am leaning towards unless I get the impression the defects will cause poor performance / premature failure), I will definitely be going back to Aldi with all the pictures and asking for a replacement ash scraper / partial refund. So when I do that I will also query the cracks with them to get their steer as well. 

4 hours ago, Comacchio said:

I've had notification of dispatch today. Got the dreaded XDP as courier however - really hoping it arrives in 1 piece! Not really sure when it's being delivered yet, just says it's been collected - can't see from which depot however.

how do you know who the courier is in advance? i've got text msg to indicate delivery tomorrow and aldi's site says "my order is being picked" with "delivery tomorrow" but no mention of a courier name,..

Edited by bbqoldie

37 minutes ago, bbqoldie said:

how do you know who the courier is in advance? i've got text msg to indicate delivery tomorrow and aldi's site says "my order is being picked" with "delivery tomorrow" but no mention of a courier name,..

I got a tracking link sent to me via text and email from XDP.

• Thanks 1

it...has arrived! woop! via AO.com and in one piece...also not worried about theft anymore..if you can pick it up you can have it. How the heck am I going to get it to where it needs to be in the garden without messing up the grass on the way there is another matter.

Edited by bbqoldie

4 minutes ago, bbqoldie said:

it...has arrived! woop! via AO.com and in one piece...also not worried about theft anymore..if you can pick it up you can have it. How the heck am I going to get it to where it needs to be in the garden without messing up the grass on the way there is another matter.

I took everything out of it - firebox etc, and then 2 off us were (just about) able to carry it :)

Edited by Grue666
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone

Finally got round to assembling mine today, having received it on Monday. It was all fine and in one piece. There seems to have been some cracks or holes in the ceramic that they’ve patched up. See the images. What do you think?

Hopefully it doesn’t cause any issues further down the line. Measuring it, the full diameter of the outer ceramic is 20 inches, the internal diameter of the ceramic is 44cm and the grill grate is 40cm. 

I was expecting it to be slightly bigger based on others feedback on this years units. Does that suggest that they’ve gone back to the smaller model of previous years for this batch?

Thanks

239F1DED-DAC9-48BB-954C-900DBF5B5699.png

D1933BF6-925A-41B1-A542-5D41EDBFEEEA.png

Edited by flipmark

On 5/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, bbqoldie said:

I used the cardboard packaging and a couple of scaffold board to slide it where it needed to go.

48 minutes ago, Comacchio said:

Has anyone received theirs via XDP so far? My XDP tracker is showing it's been at the collection depot since 11am on Friday, no further updates. Poor communication is a personal hate of mine.

The one I bought for a friend at seconds past 08.00 is still “being processed”. She’s getting worried

Received my kamado late last week, and set about getting it all put together over the weekend. This mostly went smoothly, but there are a few bits missing from my package, or at least i cant find them anywhere. Its the long and short self adhesive gasket/pads, that are meant to stick onto the stand.

I have emailed Aldi to see if they can get replacement parts for this, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something that could be used in place of these, it seems such a small thing! Are these made of the same felt material that goes round the insides where two ceramic pieces come together?

1 hour ago, Ollie41 said:

Received my kamado late last week, and set about getting it all put together over the weekend. This mostly went smoothly, but there are a few bits missing from my package, or at least i cant find them anywhere. Its the long and short self adhesive gasket/pads, that are meant to stick onto the stand.

I have emailed Aldi to see if they can get replacement parts for this, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something that could be used in place of these, it seems such a small thing! Are these made of the same felt material that goes round the insides where two ceramic pieces come together?

AO delivery?