ALDI KAMADO

andya

On 5/30/2021 at 1:56 PM, paulinportsmouth said:

Realised last night that I need a new gasket, know there's been a bit of chat last few pages but wondering if there is a go to option for the 20" aldi one from last year. 

Oh and has anyone bought a bench for theirs? I have a little bbq area for my AK and my ooni and have enough space for a bit of a prep area in the middle. Seen some options on etsy and the like but was thinking I could make something, although it won't look as good! 

Hi I replaced mine with a KJ style gasket from gumtree. Really happy with the finish. Hated removing the old gasket though. 

B274C81A-8816-456D-B646-C8120C00FE53.jpeg

93C83896-6237-49B6-A30B-24B2418BE10E.jpeg

CD4633E0-33C1-4A8D-91CB-4019752419AC.jpeg

5 hours ago, Mighty1968 said:

Have you got the Appliance Direct D&C? how well does it fit? What do you use for the deflector?

No, not me. Someone else got it. My post was more about the joy of getting the best bang per pound of accessories. Hopefully the person who got the appliance direct one will update us on the fit. For deflector you can get the stone from appliance direct as well which you knowneopl fit. Third party steel and stone deflectors you just have to look at the specs. There are no guarantees and nothing beats measuring your unit to double check. 

• Thanks 1

So Mine turned up today. No real issues, a few little pock marks in the glaze but no chips and no cracks that I can tell. Mine doesn't appear to have this part and I have no idea where it would go if it did. Was that part of the first batch but not the current ones?

99961563-1516-4443-B7C3-5B7EDD6EEE0F.jpeg

In any case I have to say overall I am really impressed with the quality for the price. I mean I have nothing to compare it to but all of the bolts and nuts appear to be stainless steel and the powder coating seems decent too. Anyone who says these are crap is talking out their Ash Tray. They may not be a KamadoJoe but I think they are probably 90% there for 25% the price. Good value, that's my wheelhouse.

45 minutes ago, Mighty1968 said:

Mine doesn't appear to have this part and I have no idea where it would go if it did. Was that part of the first batch but not the current ones?

99961563-1516-4443-B7C3-5B7EDD6EEE0F.jpeg

The early models had a two piece firebowl, that's the upper fire ring.  However the last few years have been just one integral firebowl.

22 hours ago, Mighty1968 said:

In any case I have to say overall I am really impressed with the quality for the price. I mean I have nothing to compare it to but all of the bolts and nuts appear to be stainless steel and the powder coating seems decent too. Anyone who says these are crap is talking out their Ash Tray. They may not be a KamadoJoe but I think they are probably 90% there for 25% the price. Good value, that's my wheelhouse.

Mine arrived on Sunday and I have to agree, the quality surprised me at this price, as you say, the powder coating is good quality and all parts seem to be built to do the job, not to save money.

Only issues I had were some burrs in the legs, which would have shaved off the powder coating of the cross connectors when assembled so I dressed with a file and sprayed with clear epoxy, and one of the screws was unusable.  Oh and the spanner is rubbish although the 19mm end was useful for holding the caster whilst tightening the nut.

Overall I am really impressed, best get cooking now to see if it lives up to expectations.

If I could just direct the conversation back to the food for a minute - where do you guys get your 20% minced beef for burgers? Supermarkets obviously do cheap packaged 20% mince, but it doesn’t look that appetising. My local butcher, which is more of a butcher/deli, just offers quality 12% mince.

Maybe I need to try other butchers, but then again I use supermarket mince for sauces so why not burgers?

1 hour ago, YorkshireSmoke said:

If I could just direct the conversation back to the food for a minute - where do you guys get your 20% minced beef for burgers? Supermarkets obviously do cheap packaged 20% mince, but it doesn’t look that appetising. My local butcher, which is more of a butcher/deli, just offers quality 12% mince.

Maybe I need to try other butchers, but then again I use supermarket mince for sauces so why not burgers?

I have to ask my butchers to do it specifically to order. You can in some places select nice looking cuts as well. One (bad) butcher complained it was too high a percentage for him to sell due to "health and safety" but I pointed out that the lamb mince next to his hand was 20%....

Ultinately you have to go around and ask for special treatment. 

One trick I use is to use (beef) tallow to keep it fatty whilst cooking. However, ideally you would cook the mince with no added oil or fat and it would just render out nicely on its own. 

Maybe mix lamb and beef for something interesting? 

On 6/5/2021 at 4:32 PM, Chrisah1 said:

No, not me. Someone else got it. My post was more about the joy of getting the best bang per pound of accessories. Hopefully the person who got the appliance direct one will update us on the fit. For deflector you can get the stone from appliance direct as well which you knowneopl fit. Third party steel and stone deflectors you just have to look at the specs. There are no guarantees and nothing beats measuring your unit to double check. 

Hi, I can't see a matching deflector/pizza stone for the Appliance Direct D/C on their website. Please can you share a link?

On 5/27/2021 at 8:00 PM, Smokin_Bee said:

Just to update that the smaller, £16 ProQ charcoal basket fits my Kamado that was delivered last week. Nice bit of space down the sides too.

CB99389E-9D48-4E31-BD13-04EDE654AC8C.jpeg

Wouldn't the 34cm ProQ frontier basket fit or do you think it would be a tight squeeze?

10 minutes ago, Gigasonix said:

Wouldn't the 34cm ProQ frontier basket fit or do you think it would be a tight squeeze?

I dont know if this is helpful or not but I have taken a bunch of measurements of my Kamado.

Grills

• Main Grill Diameter 412mm
  • Small Grill 333mm Diameter x 280mm on flat side

Kamado (Mine is not perfectly round so these are the smallest measurements)

• Kamado inner Diameter 448mm
  • Firebowl inner diameter 350mm
  • Firebowl outer diameter 415mm
  • Ash Hole (is that the right term?😏) diameter 215mm
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mighty1968 said:

I dont know if this is helpful or not but I have taken a bunch of measurements of my Kamado.

Grills

• Main Grill Diameter 412mm
  • Small Grill 333mm Diameter x 280mm on flat side

Kamado (Mine is not perfectly round so these are the smallest measurements)

• Kamado inner Diameter 448mm
  • Firebowl inner diameter 350mm
  • Firebowl outer diameter 415mm
  • Ash Hole (is that the right term?😏) diameter 215mm

Thanks, mine has similar measurements so I've gone for the PROQ Frontier basket.

5 minutes ago, Gigasonix said:

What was the reason for changing the top vent? 

With the original daisy wheel you lose your settings if you open the lid and rain can get in, plus I find you have better control of temps with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gigasonix said:

I've only just got mine so I thought the control was pretty good. How much better is the Smokeware cap? By rainproof do you mean it wont let rain inside or it wont get damaged by rain?

The vents are on the vertical so no rain ingress. The vents are tapered also so you can fine tune temps a little better.

https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/smokeware/products/smokeware-vented-chimney-cap-for-kamado-joe

On 6/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, Basbbq said:

Hi I replaced mine with a KJ style gasket from gumtree. Really happy with the finish. Hated removing the old gasket though. 

CD4633E0-33C1-4A8D-91CB-4019752419AC.jpeg

Your lid looks way out of alignment on that photo. Did that cause your gasket to fail?

Mine arrived similar to that but I managed to adjust it to some extent 

1 hour ago, Gigasonix said:

It would have sort have fitted, but based on my measurements the bottom circumference of the ProQ basket would be resting on the bottom of the ceramic insert, as it’s too narrow at the bottom for the ProQ fire basket to touch the charcoal grate.

This smaller one I have a gap all around the basket instead of it touching. I just completed a 7 hour low and slow. I’ll take a photo tomorrow when I check how much charcoal is left if that helps you decide?

15 minutes ago, Smokin_Bee said:

It would have sort have fitted, but based on my measurements the bottom circumference of the ProQ basket would be resting on the bottom of the ceramic insert, as it’s too narrow at the bottom for the ProQ fire basket to touch the charcoal grate.

This smaller one I have a gap all around the basket instead of it touching. I just completed a 7 hour low and slow. I’ll take a photo tomorrow when I check how much charcoal is left if that helps you decide?

Yes I decided to get the same as you, thanks for the info.