ALDI KAMADO

andya

1 hour ago, Chrisah1 said:

Did you buy a YNNI / Topq 20" rotisserie? Would be good to know what unit to avoid. 

Hi i got the 18inch from a friend who orders direct from China. My own fault for not measuring properly. Have the same issue with a d&c in 18 inch. Think they would be perfect for the older Aldi Eggs. I got my egg last year so think it’s the 20inch. Might order the right size if I can sell these. 

2 minutes ago, Basbbq said:

Hi i got the 18inch from a friend who orders direct from China. My own fault for not measuring properly. Have the same issue with a d&c in 18 inch. Think they would be perfect for the older Aldi Eggs. I got my egg last year so think it’s the 20inch. Might order the right size if I can sell these. 

Yes, the topq 18" unit top diameter is 38.2cm and middle ring is 34.5cm so would sit within the fire bowl on the new one potentially, but fit the old one. 

The 18" unit from appliancedirect seems bigger at 41.5cm overall so would not have the same issue. 

(If specs can be trusted). Appliance direct seems to be best bang for buck albeit plus the stone. 

The rotisserie units are pricey here due to shipping. Alibaba do have them for single MOQ. Maybe Ali express?

Just measure your unit - fire bowl bottom diameter, fire bowl ID at top and OD top, main body ID and main body OD. 

The most recent have been 35cm/41cm for the top of the firebowl and 45/51cm for the main body. 

17 minutes ago, Chrisah1 said:

No charcoal basket is included. It is good as it keeps coal off the ceramic and improves airflow all around. It will help with more even and controlled heating, and potentially (unproven) reduce heat disparity on the ceramic which could cause thermal stress. 

The better baskets allow you to partition fuel as well for more indirect control. 

With the AK ultimately it is all trial and error for parts until you get one and measure it all over. That's why it's cheaper. 

You have done well to get a divider that is in stock and much cheaper than the ynni 20" one at £130 - even if it is a little small. 

The fun of the AK is getting the most for the least ££££. 

Monolith, KJ and BGE, Masterbuilt are just too pricey.

Thanks, any recommendations for baskets to start me off? 
I nearly bought a KJ a few weeks back.....

43 minutes ago, Steve Davies said:

Thanks, any recommendations for baskets to start me off? 
I nearly bought a KJ a few weeks back.....

ProQ have straight edge basket but no internal divider so you will need to make one. Seems to be the best bang for buck. Ranger should fit. If you want to do a service get both that and the frontier and see which fits and return the one that is either too big or too small! £16 to £20 price play shipping. 

Otherwise standard baskets should work like kick ash medium. The ynni 20" has a divider and should fit. Only one left on Amazon at £65. 

I give not fitment guarantees. 

I would personally get a carbon steel or cast iron plancha and cast iron grid. 

Proq have a good looking plancha too. Proq seem to be reasonably priced. 

Rotisserie - if you must - just get a Chinese OEM 20" one. I would bother if they had kebab attachments. For whole chicken I prefer spatchcock. 

In my opinion the essential accessories are D&C and charcoal basket. 

Less essential is cast iron grid and carbon steel plancha. 

Third is Cypriot kebab spinner. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, paulinportsmouth said:

Just ordered the Frontier basket from ProQ so will update when it turns up as to it's fitment. Shouldfit easily as my AK is 35cm firebowl.

that would be awesome thanks, looking forward for my AK to turn up and get my hands over it. Knowing this will help a lot Paul.

19 hours ago, Chrisah1 said:

ProQ have straight edge basket but no internal divider so you will need to make one. Seems to be the best bang for buck. Ranger should fit. If you want to do a service get both that and the frontier and see which fits and return the one that is either too big or too small! £16 to £20 price play shipping. 

Otherwise standard baskets should work like kick ash medium. The ynni 20" has a divider and should fit. Only one left on Amazon at £65. 

I give not fitment guarantees. 

I would personally get a carbon steel or cast iron plancha and cast iron grid. 

Proq have a good looking plancha too. Proq seem to be reasonably priced. 

Rotisserie - if you must - just get a Chinese OEM 20" one. I would bother if they had kebab attachments. For whole chicken I prefer spatchcock. 

In my opinion the essential accessories are D&C and charcoal basket. 

Less essential is cast iron grid and carbon steel plancha. 

Third is Cypriot kebab spinner. 

3 Layer Cooking Grid for 22" Kamado Egg BBQ 3tiereggxl | Appliances Direct

anyone able to tell me the dimensions of the AK, found a slightly larger D&C system

15 minutes ago, Steve Davies said:

3 Layer Cooking Grid for 22" Kamado Egg BBQ 3tiereggxl | Appliances Direct

anyone able to tell me the dimensions of the AK, found a slightly larger D&C system

Definitely too big. Page 24 and page 25 someone has kindly provided measurements. 

The outer bowl inner diameter is 45cm I think from those photos. 

People have confirmed the 20" ynni one made by topq fits well (43.8cm diam)

• Like 1

Managed to grab one Sunday. Been having my eye on a Kamado for some time. Been smoking and BBQing for a while also. Looking forward to trying the new gadget once it arrives in one piece.

Been reading through the all the comments and topics here. Cant wait to see what comes out!

• Like 1

Also managed to bag one on Sunday, hopefully a) it'll get here and b) not be a jigsaw :)

Going to be a learning curve I think coming from a Pro Q bullet.

I intend to run my BBQ controller on it (smartfire). Would anyone know the dimensions of the bottom vent? I think I'll need the standard adaptor here (83 x 72mm):

https://proqsmokers.co.uk/products/proq-smartfire-adapter?variant=32068389437514&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7pKFBhDUARIsAFUoMDY9w1UYqkRQyLgOwmQ5xqV64iruKiz_my1KtO71SrrvtTkjtbqItngaAtJOEALw_wcB

thanks.

------------------------

Ooh, though of another one...

Do those using wired probes wedge the cable between the top lid and base, or go in through the top vent?

Edited by Batch

6 minutes ago, TheBeardedDan said:

what charcoal baskets do people recommend?

Seen recommendations for the ProQ Baskets.
People have used the Frontier or Ranger ones - but it depends on the dimensions as it has changed previously.

I believe the current one that fits is the Ranger but worth measuring it when you receive the Kamado. As some have bought the Frontier version this year and it fits.

https://proqsmokers.co.uk/products/proq-replacement-charcoal-basket?

Edited by ruggerz

1 hour ago, ruggerz said:

Seen recommendations for the ProQ Baskets.
People have used the Frontier or Ranger ones - but it depends on the dimensions as it has changed previously.

I believe the current one that fits is the Ranger but worth measuring it when you receive the Kamado. As some have bought the Frontier version this year and it fits.

https://proqsmokers.co.uk/products/proq-replacement-charcoal-basket?

i have my kamado already, but ill measure and see which would fit.

thanks!

5 minutes ago, Steve Davies said:

I may grab a Meater+, any experience here?

Yes I have had one for 6 months or so now and it's a very snazzy little unit.  Definitely overpriced, but pretty.

A few comments so you know what you're getting yourself into:

1) the "base unit" needs to be near the thermometer itself.  your phone can then be a bit further away but as with all Bluetooth devices the range in real life is nothing like what is quoted in the specs

2) the thermometer has two sensors, one in the pointy end (for the meat) and the other in the other end (for the air temperature).  If the "meat tip" gets over 100 degrees sirens start going off and a dire warning of severe damage.  So you need to make sure it's in the centre of your meat and doesn't fall out.  I can only really see you can measure thicker cuts therefore

3) the temperate responsiveness is pretty slow, maybe 2-3 minutes to get from ambient up a stable reading

Overall, yes I'd recommend one.  The lack of any wires is great.  But see if you can get it with a voucher code (I got 20%) to offset the fact it's more of a 4 star product than 5 stars, in my opinion

1 hour ago, mackerel said:

1) the "base unit" needs to be near the thermometer itself.  your phone can then be a bit further away but as with all Bluetooth devices the range in real life is nothing like what is quoted in the specs

I'd second this. Mines has often dropped out of connection even though its the other side of the wall. I have the + model and often sacrifice a old device so I can maintain a connection and us the cloud to monitor. I'd also add that properly cleaning it makes a difference. You may think its clean but a good scrub can improve connection I just wish that it was more rounded so it was easier to clean. 

That being said I do enjoy using it and Love the estimated time to finish. Makes it great for planning a meal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Davies said:

I may grab a Meater+, any experience here?

Reviews are highly variable for reliability - some people rave, some complain. Often people complain about variance and ambient temps. 

Of you do use it, run the app on an old phone that's connected to WiFi - you can then access the meater+ over WiFi. So keep the Bluetooth box and old WiFi phone right next to the kamado. 

Whatever pit probe I use, I always take separate additional readings with a thermapen to get a better picture of what's going on inside the meat. 

• Like 1

I have just ordered a full set of 5mm stainless steel accessories from my AK from a Gent on facebook.

A replacement full heat deflector, a half moon heat deflector, a pizza stone, and a 50/50 grill plancha.

The combination of the different pieces will give a full D&C capability in my opinion, especially using the low half moon deflector in combination with the 50/50 grill plancha.

I'll keep you posted and provide some photos for you to guage the quality etc, they are due for delivery on Monday, probably come before the kamado itself 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Davies said:

I have just ordered a full set of 5mm stainless steel accessories from my AK from a Gent on facebook.

A replacement full heat deflector, a half moon heat deflector, a pizza stone, and a 50/50 grill plancha.

The combination of the different pieces will give a full D&C capability in my opinion, especially using the low half moon deflector in combination with the 50/50 grill plancha.

I'll keep you posted and provide some photos for you to guage the quality etc, they are due for delivery on Monday, probably come before the kamado itself 

Got a link to the dealer and price?