ALDI KAMADO

andya

9 minutes ago, Ollie41 said:

yeah it was, although feels like it would be strange for the piece to have been lost in transit, it appeared packaged up reasonably well, and the delivery guys were great.

Doesn’t make sense that they’re using different couriers & so happens one of their options are delivering as they should but the other which has previous for poor service is still being used. Frustrating.

2 hours ago, Comacchio said:

Doesn’t make sense that they’re using different couriers & so happens one of their options are delivering as they should but the other which has previous for poor service is still being used. Frustrating.

I've seen some pretty ropey feedback about XDP whereas I've had AO deliveries before (technically it's not AO it's Expert Logistics but AO own them) and they've always been very good.  XDP still have something I paid £125 for back in March which they seem to have lost but can't/won't inform Aldi of this.  Probably the worst experience I've ever had with a courier company.

Hi guys 

New to the forum and I know this has more than likely been answered to death. But after wait what feels like a life time to get this bbq, it’s turned up with a chip and what looks like crazed cracking on the glaze. Is this something I need to worry about. I don’t really want to send back but if it’s going to cause issues I’ll have to. 

Any help would be appreciated... 

F8E30803-5DE8-42BB-92D5-240DDE46C3B0.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Dsweet said:

Hi guys 

New to the forum and I know this has more than likely been answered to death. But after wait what feels like a life time to get this bbq, it’s turned up with a chip and what looks like crazed cracking on the glaze. Is this something I need to worry about. I don’t really want to send back but if it’s going to cause issues I’ll have to. 

AO delivery?

If there's no corresponding crack on the inside of the egg advice seems to be for something that small get some enamel paint on it and it'll be fine.

23 hours ago, Ollie41 said:

Received my kamado late last week, and set about getting it all put together over the weekend. This mostly went smoothly, but there are a few bits missing from my package, or at least i cant find them anywhere. Its the long and short self adhesive gasket/pads, that are meant to stick onto the stand.

I have emailed Aldi to see if they can get replacement parts for this, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas of something that could be used in place of these, it seems such a small thing! Are these made of the same felt material that goes round the insides where two ceramic pieces come together?

no, its even cheaper, non-heat-resistant stuff. Any felt-material/squishy "something" would do I would guess..its just to cushion the kamado against the legs to prevent scratching and stop it moving slightly (mine moves a bit when i lift the lid, but i think as the pads wear/squish this will lessen). Me, personally, in the situation you are in, would take a scissor to a yellow scrubbing sponge and make do with with that solution until replacements arrive. The bits they supply is the equivalent of the hairy side of a piece of velcro. Nothing more.

Edited by bbqoldie

11 minutes ago, flipmark said:

For anyone getting their new grill, what size is the internal diameter? 

Do they fit the 18” or 20” divide and conquer?

The ones sold earlier in the year, the 20" fitted. Sizes vary year on year so its better to wait and measure your own model.

use discount code BBQL10 for 10% off too 

43 minutes ago, Bbq life uk said:

The ones sold earlier in the year, the 20" fitted. Sizes vary year on year so its better to wait and measure your own model.

use discount code BBQL10 for 10% off too 

Thanks very much! Do you happen to know what the measurements of the grills are that fit the 20”?

What are people's thoughts on accessories for the AK are in general?

I've been looking at the YNNI D&C and Kick Ash Basket basket, both of which I like the look of. I'm also consider a Steel Smokin plancha which, again, looks like a great bit of kit. But by the time I have added those items I have dramatically increased the overall cost of the AK. 

I know it will depends on everyone's preferences, budgets, etc. but are there any accessories which are must haves / that you couldn't live without? Any that you think really aren't required? Or is the AK best used as it is sold and as on as much of a budget as possible?

Thanks, James

21 minutes ago, James H said:

I've been looking at the YNNI D&C and Kick Ash Basket basket, both of which I like the look of. I'm also consider a Steel Smokin plancha which, again, looks like a great bit of kit. But by the time I have added those items I have dramatically increased the overall cost of the AK. 

I know it will depends on everyone's preferences, budgets, etc. but are there any accessories which are must haves / that you couldn't live without? Any that you think really aren't required? Or is the AK best used as it is sold and as on as much of a budget as possible?

Thanks, James

I am still on the hunt for a basket and the ProQ updates are really interesting earlier on in this forum. I can whole heartedly recommend the Steel Smokin kits and plancha - I went for the full kit and the quality and service is excellent. Other than that a good thermometer and you are good to go and experiment. I have always had charcoal bbqs so this aspect wasn’t a huge leap for me but I found “Hot Coals” a good read when I got it as a gift (Amazon has it) as an intro to Kamados in general - also give BBQ life UK a look and follow on YouTube, and he also posts here. Enjoy.

52 minutes ago, James H said:

Thanks, James

Yes, but remember the most basic  Masterbuilt, kamado Joe, and monolith units all start at £750+ without any ash basket or divide and conquer - so to them you would also be adding plancha, D&c and ash basket. And their compatible accessories are costly too. 

WiFi temp sensors and kamado fan controllers add up even more - but again you have to buy them with any unit. 

Kamado cooking is expensive unless you go with the basics. 

Cheap plancha, cheap proq basket and the divide and conquer 18" from appliance direct 

On 5/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, Dsweet said:

Hi guys 

So that’s that, sending back and full refund. My experience of these bbq is over and it don't look like I’ll be trying again. Shame really as it would of been fun. 

1 hour ago, ade73 said:

Received an email this morning saying delivery tomorrow from AO, do you get any update on that, email/text with a time slot or on our way be there in 10 mins? 

:)

Yes. Email and text on the day or the night before with a 2 hour time slot and a phone call 30min or so before they arrive. Van is also GPS trackable from the link in the time slot email. 

6 minutes ago, Grue666 said:

Yes. Email and text on the day or the night before with a 2 hour time slot and a phone call 30min or so before they arrive. Van is also GPS trackable from the link in the time slot email. 

Brilliant thanks. 👍👍👍

On 5/24/2021 at 7:46 PM, Comacchio said:

XDP updated my delivery status today to say it's now at the delivery depot. Aldi have also given them my rattan garden furniture to which they're claiming delivery tomorrow - rattan was ordered a week after the AK!

23 hours ago, bbqoldie said:

no, its even cheaper, non-heat-resistant stuff. Any felt-material/squishy "something" would do I would guess..its just to cushion the kamado against the legs to prevent scratching and stop it moving slightly (mine moves a bit when i lift the lid, but i think as the pads wear/squish this will lessen). Me, personally, in the situation you are in, would take a scissor to a yellow scrubbing sponge and make do with with that solution until replacements arrive. The bits they supply is the equivalent of the hairy side of a piece of velcro. Nothing more.

Thanks so much for this, was hoping it was something that would be reasonably easy to replace. Heard back from Aldi now so they should be able to send a replacement, but will use this in the meantime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grue666 said:

My experience with AO was of a 4 hour time slot and no GPS link - but they did call me when they were 5 minutes away.  Had a chat with the delivery guys and they did say that a lot of the units seem to come to them packed badly and potentially broken already.  In my opinion the packaging for such a heavy unit isn't really adequate.  My little Lidl Kamado was much more sturdily secured in its box with thicker cardboard bracing around it.

Been following for the last few weeks - I ordered an AK over 10 days ago and all I've had is 3 emails telling me its "on track" but no dispatch email. Was hoping to use it over the weekend- I have even bought a thermometer and the basket from ProQ,along with lumpwood and smoking woods in preparation. ( arrived within 48hours).

Now worried that I'll end up with someone else's returned unit.

58 minutes ago, Jeff C said:

Been following for the last few weeks - I ordered an AK over 10 days ago and all I've had is 3 emails telling me its "on track" but no dispatch email. Was hoping to use it over the weekend- I have even bought a thermometer and the basket from ProQ,along with lumpwood and smoking woods in preparation. ( arrived within 48hours).

Now worried that I'll end up with someone else's returned unit.

Im in the same boat, ordered on the 17th and was told dispatch on the 20th or up to 7 days after.

I have even ordered and received the set of stainless heat deflectors, grill/plancha and pizza stone from @Gavin Ball I just hope the AK turns up now or I have some very well made and pretty stainless ornaments.