ALDI KAMADO

andya

20 minutes ago, Grue666 said:

I got 1 for a friend at 08.00 and currently have one in my basket waiting for another friend to decide if she wants it. Did you get one?

Yep sure did. Had a laptop on all night with a chrome extension refreshing the page every 5 seconds. Actively monitored it from 0730 - got one as soon as it went live at 8, first batch was sold out by 8.01.

20 minutes ago, Comacchio said:

Yep sure did. Had a laptop on all night with a chrome extension refreshing the page every 5 seconds. Actively monitored it from 0730 - got one as soon as it went live at 8, first batch was sold out by 8.01.

We’ll done. Now for the lottery of whether they arrive safely or not. My Kamado was fine but my Aldi Hanging egg chair was mislaid by the courier!

• Like 1

I managed to get lucky today. Was on the site from 7. The queue it feature on the website got me on for 752. Kamado's dropped at 8 and all went out of stock. 

Spent the first bit of the morning with the right face on. 

Then just randomly checked back at 0911 and some dropped back into stock and I managed to bag one. 

Absolutely buzzing. 

I managed to get lucky today. Was on the site from 7. The queue it feature on the website got me on for 752. Kamado's dropped at 8 and all went out of stock. 

Then just randomly checked back at 0911 and some dropped back into stock and I managed to bag one. 

Absolutely buzzing. 

• Like 1

I managed to buy one again. Got one earlier this year but sadly the courier "lost" it. I did get a refund but not the point. Fingers crossed this one arrives. The same courier also failed to deliver a bistro set a couple weeks later until I chased it up. 😟

1 hour ago, RonnyCombo said:

Absolutely buzzing. 

Exactly how I got mine in April - great news mate and enjoy when it comes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Callmestevie said:

Exactly how I got mine in April - great news mate and enjoy when it comes.

Cheers, already planning the first cook. Few negative people on a Facebook group saying not to get too carried away until it arrives and it is in one piece. 

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

I actually got one at 10am! No wait no issue. However I cancelled it to free up the stock. I will probably go with a more standard size 21" with grid approx 18-18.4"/46.7cm. once you factor in the divide and conquer at £130 it's a total of £500....so will wait to stretch to approx £650 all in for a regular size unit. 

4 hours ago, RonnyCombo said:

Cheers, already planning the first cook. Few negative people on a Facebook group saying not to get too carried away until it arrives and it is in one piece. 

Fingers crossed

Definitely wishing you all the best, and myself also.  I got another one this morning to replace the one from March which arrived in about 30 pieces in a pile at the bottom of the cardboard crate and had to go back for a refund.

I did notice someone on ebay selling one boxed and unopened.  I was tempted to contact them and suggest they might wish to check inside!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mackerel said:

I did notice someone on ebay selling one boxed and unopened.  I was tempted to contact them and suggest they might wish to check inside!

Depends on how much they are charging for it. Most of them are just trying to rip people off so I'd rather leave them to their smashed ceramics. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Sexypablo1 said:

Does the Aldi Kamado have the facility to do rotisserie chicken?

Thanks

I bought one but it was the wrong size and doesn’t sit flush on the egg. Still worked but had to adjust vents as not tightly sealed. Chicken still came very good but the rotisserie damaged my seal. New KJ style seal on way and may look at ordering a bigger rotisserie 

39828A0A-7062-4192-BE0E-D83D2424B50D.png

3D9A83E3-573B-44E3-AFA9-71F63951A43E.png

• Like 1

Gents, want to get myself an inkbird as my dial one has died, but so many options. any recommendations, seen comments about getting the wifi so you don't lose the historical tracking if bluetooth is lost. or should I just save myself a chunk of cash and go with the bluetooth one. Also any manual dial replacements that fit straight in?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Rechargeable-Calibration/dp/B08NJZNFWS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3BEH3R8E8J01X&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird&qid=1621247151&s=outdoors&sprefix=inkb,outdoor,149&sr=1-10

Edited by paulinportsmouth

2 hours ago, Basbbq said:

I bought one but it was the wrong size and doesn’t sit flush on the egg. Still worked but had to adjust vents as not tightly sealed. Chicken still came very good but the rotisserie damaged my seal. New KJ style seal on way and may look at ordering a bigger rotisserie 

39828A0A-7062-4192-BE0E-D83D2424B50D.png

3D9A83E3-573B-44E3-AFA9-71F63951A43E.png

Did you buy a YNNI / Topq 20" rotisserie? Would be good to know what unit to avoid. 

1 hour ago, paulinportsmouth said:

Gents, want to get myself an inkbird as my dial one has died, but so many options. any recommendations, seen comments about getting the wifi so you don't lose the historical tracking if bluetooth is lost. or should I just save myself a chunk of cash and go with the bluetooth one. Also any manual dial replacements that fit straight in?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Rechargeable-Calibration/dp/B08NJZNFWS/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3BEH3R8E8J01X&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird&qid=1621247151&s=outdoors&sprefix=inkb,outdoor,149&sr=1-10

Depends what cooking you do. If you are long and slow and want to check the curve for pit temp and stalls then you need one with reliable logging. My Bluetooth inkbird loses the graph, but people have reported that same issue for the WiFi too......

If your cooks are shorter and aiming for a temp, followed by rest, then the BT cheapest unit is fine. 

The only way to not lose the graph on BT is to leave phone on, screen on and app running to minimise chance of disconnect. 

The best options that may not (albeit not guaranteed) lose the logs are probably the BBQ guru units, which can also control the oven temp - or maybe meater! 

I don't have first hand experience with either and they are pricey. 

Maybe thermoworks WiFi as they were the ones who came up with thermapen which is amazing. Not sure if available in UK. 

If you find one that persistently keeps the graph, let us know!!!

2 hours ago, Steve Davies said:

Will this work with the Aldi Kamado I just ordered, I almost got a classic 2 last week, glad i held off tbh

3 Layer Cooking Grid for 18" Kamado Egg BBQ 3TIEREGG | Appliances Direct

It will likely fit, but may seem a little small. 

Boss say the 18" kamado is 45cm main cooking area diameter. They then say cooking grid is 38cm diameter and it looks snug in the photos. I have identified this as a modified auplex 18" which means the overall ceramic body is 45.7cm OD and 38.3cm grid. 

They state the d&C grid is 41.5cm diameter. 

The AK fire bowl is 35cm ID, 41cm OD and overall ID is approx 45cm OD 51cm.

If 41.5cm dimension is correct for the d&C it will be fine and you will have some space around it (1.75cm all around).

The unit you have has a broad support to fit on top of the fire bowl.

Try it and see if it works! Also check to make sure the AK ceramic deflector fits as the system you got does not come with a stone. Compare the Aldi stone with the appliance direct one. 

Most used to get an 18" divide and conquer for the older AKs. Now people can fit 20" ones. Charcoal basket I would recommend 29.5cm to 32cm at the top. 34cm may be too tight. 

Edited by Chrisah1
Accuracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, much appreciated. 
I may get a D&C setup going then. 
Are there any other accessories recommended, does it come with a charcoal basket? Seen them mentioned a few times here. 

I’ve had a Weber Master Touch for a few years, I’ve smoked, roasted and all sorts with it with good success, so really looking forward to trying a Kamado grill. 
I think direct and indirect is a must...

22 minutes ago, Steve Davies said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated. 
I may get a D&C setup going then. 
Are there any other accessories recommended, does it come with a charcoal basket? Seen them mentioned a few times here. 

I’ve had a Weber Master Touch for a few years, I’ve smoked, roasted and all sorts with it with good success, so really looking forward to trying a Kamado grill. 
I think direct and indirect is a must...

No charcoal basket is included. It is good as it keeps coal off the ceramic and improves airflow all around. It will help with more even and controlled heating, and potentially (unproven) reduce heat disparity on the ceramic which could cause thermal stress. 

The better baskets allow you to partition fuel as well for more indirect control. 

With the AK ultimately it is all trial and error for parts until you get one and measure it all over. That's why it's cheaper. 

You have done well to get a divider that is in stock and much cheaper than the ynni 20" one at £130 - even if it is a little small. 

The fun of the AK is getting the most for the least ££££. 

Monolith, KJ and BGE, Masterbuilt are just too pricey.