ALDI KAMADO

andya

12 minutes ago, sbottstar said:

Any suggestions of where to get the basket from please??

Also, anyone with links to recommended thermostats would be great too.

Ynni or kamado.co.uk sell the topq units. They come in 20" model size with a top diameter of 29.5cm. Or a 21" one with top diameter 35cm. You need to measure your clay fire basket to assess which will fit. 29.5 should fit but I can't guarantee. 

Let us know the size! You should check lower and upper diameter for fit and height before buying. 

There are also ranger and frontier ash baskets from proq with straight sides. Kamado Joe and monolith and most places sell baskets you just have to check dimensions from your kamado. 

Make sure that even if it fits it has good airflow around sides of basket.

You can search Amazon and other places. I don't know the precise dimensions of the kamado Joe basket. 

If you find a basket but they don't list dimensions you can often find the OEM on Alibaba to check. 

19 minutes ago, sbottstar said:

Any suggestions of where to get the basket from please??

Also, anyone with links to recommended thermostats would be great too.

For temps the major options are inkbird off Amazon. I have the six probe and whilst great when Bluetooth drops off you lose the curve. So get a WiFi model. 

Thermopro and thermoworks spring to mind. Amazon is full of options in general.

Meater Block I have not used but reviews are very variable. Some swear by it others think it's rubbish. Again I would go with the WiFi block unless you have an old phone to link Bluetooth on the meater+ to your WiFi as a gateway. Expensive. 

You can get a fan with probes from bbqguru which may help you maintain temps as well. But can get expensive. 

WiFi options always pricey. You can get good cheap radio and Bluetooth. I only have used inkbird and I would pay extra for WiFi next time (approx £100)

1 hour ago, Chrisah1 said:

For temps the major options are inkbird off Amazon. I have the six probe and whilst great when Bluetooth drops off you lose the curve. So get a WiFi model. 

Thermopro and thermoworks spring to mind. Amazon is full of options in general.

Meater Block I have not used but reviews are very variable. Some swear by it others think it's rubbish. Again I would go with the WiFi block unless you have an old phone to link Bluetooth on the meater+ to your WiFi as a gateway. Expensive. 

You can get a fan with probes from bbqguru which may help you maintain temps as well. But can get expensive. 

WiFi options always pricey. You can get good cheap radio and Bluetooth. I only have used inkbird and I would pay extra for WiFi next time (approx £100)

I bought the Inkbird IBBQ-4T and was very happy with it although even on wi-if there were occasional short dropouts on the graphs. Currently 10% off on Amazon with a free BG-HH1C instant read but I bought a few weeks ago with 20% off so may be worth checking back frequently to see if voucher amount improves. Although with main BBQ season approaching discounts may stop for all i know.

Spatchcock chicken attempt #2 this afternoon. I hadn’t planned on doing chicken again yet but the mrs spotted one going out of date for £1.50 so got it for me to practice on.

it turned out much better. I think the main difference was that I let it cook a little hotter (still indirect) but then just as it was reaching temperature I took out the deflector stone, flipped the bird it over, and let it cook direct skin down for 5 minutes or so before it took it off.

it was a bit of a faff but it just crisped up the skin and started to add a bit of char. I think I could have done it a bit earlier for an even better result.

there’s a pork shoulder in the fridge ready for the weekend...

On 4/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, Derbydan said:

Hi all, long time watcher and just received my text saying mines aldi kamado has been posted. Can’t wait to start BBQ with it. Been watching all of BBQ LIFE on YouTube and really looking forward to start trying cooks out. Anyone got any recommendations on what to being with? Thanks!

Edited by Toucs
I need stop using this forum with my phone. Seems to post for me automatically (totally user error)

Hi all just checking if anyone has changed the gasket seal on their Aldi Kamado? I have damaged mine using poor fitting rotisserie. I have seen a big joe type mesh kit non branded but not sure if worth the extra cost than felt type. 

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=284271785382&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

44 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

I change the felt seal on my 24"Kamado roughly every 2 years. It costs about £16 each time. If that KJ type seal lasts longer than 7 years then the maths works out for me.

The big question is will it?

Hi thanks, I know it’s a lot more expensive and I doubt it will last 7 years. I’m just hoping it will offer better  insulation to help keep smoke in and it looks better. Might bite the bullet and order. 

After the second chicken went well, and then pulled pork using @Bbq life uk hot/fast method also a success, I moved on to ribs yesterday and they were a tough and dry disaster.

It started badly when the butcher didn't have any available so I resorted to a pack of supermarket ribs. The pack didn't state whether they were baby back or spare ribs but the rack was quite small so assume they were baby back.

The problems continued when I lit the kamado and massively overshot the 110C target. I already had the ribs on there so they spent the first 20 - 30 minutes reducing down from 170C with the vents almost closed. As the temp was dropping I stepped away to take a phone call and came back to 90C, opened the vents but no movement and the fire was out.

Everything off, re-lit and back on and struggled to keep it below 130C for the rest of the first stage of the cook. This was with both vents almost closed.

This was my first attempt at very low temperature cooking and it was far harder than maintaining 180C for chicken.

What vent settings would you use for 110C? I had 1 row of holes open on the bottom grille, and maybe 5mm open on the daisy wheel, and didn't want to close any further for fear of snuffing it out again.

54 minutes ago, YorkshireSmoke said:

After the second chicken went well, and then pulled pork using @Bbq life uk hot/fast method also a success, I moved on to ribs yesterday and they were a tough and dry disaster.

It started badly when the butcher didn't have any available so I resorted to a pack of supermarket ribs. The pack didn't state whether they were baby back or spare ribs but the rack was quite small so assume they were baby back.

The problems continued when I lit the kamado and massively overshot the 110C target. I already had the ribs on there so they spent the first 20 - 30 minutes reducing down from 170C with the vents almost closed. As the temp was dropping I stepped away to take a phone call and came back to 90C, opened the vents but no movement and the fire was out.

Everything off, re-lit and back on and struggled to keep it below 130C for the rest of the first stage of the cook. This was with both vents almost closed.

This was my first attempt at very low temperature cooking and it was far harder than maintaining 180C for chicken.

What vent settings would you use for 110C? I had 1 row of holes open on the bottom grille, and maybe 5mm open on the daisy wheel, and didn't want to close any further for fear of snuffing it out again.

I normally go would go 1 row for maintaining this sort of temperature i suspect wind was your enemy this week. Also some charcoals are harder to keep the temperature down too. What charcoal are you using? 

42 minutes ago, Bbq life uk said:

I normally go would go 1 row for maintaining this sort of temperature i suspect wind was your enemy this week. Also some charcoals are harder to keep the temperature down too. What charcoal are you using? 

Using Big K restaurant grade. I used two lighters which in hindsight was a mistake, I was rushing to get cooking because I was running short on time. I definitely need to leave more time to allow it to slowly come up to temperature, because its hard to recover once everythings overheated. What opening on the daisywheel would you be using?

1 minute ago, YorkshireSmoke said:

Using Big K restaurant grade. I used two lighters which in hindsight was a mistake, I was rushing to get cooking because I was running short on time. I definitely need to leave more time to allow it to slowly come up to temperature, because its hard to recover once everythings overheated. What opening on the daisywheel would you be using?

About what you said above. 3 fire lighters and wind mate is the problem. Did you see Fridays video on keeping notes? This is a cook to learn from and why notes can be so important. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheBeardedDan said:

Been using the kamado 2-3 times most weeks now and thinking of trying a brisket soon. any tips?

Only attempted it once and turned out pretty good. I need to attempt it again😋 

1 hour ago, AdamG said:

Only attempted it once and turned out pretty good. I need to attempt it again😋 

any tips based on experience? not really done a slow cook for a couple of weeks as the weather has been quite bad so we've mostly been doing smash burgers, chicken thighs, pizza etc

9 minutes ago, TheBeardedDan said:

any tips based on experience? not really done a slow cook for a couple of weeks as the weather has been quite bad so we've mostly been doing smash burgers, chicken thighs, pizza etc

YES!!

save some for me haha😜👍🍻

One tip I was given (which you may already know) is to leave the kamado for 40-60 mins once upto temp, allows the temp to stabalise and reduces the chance of minor adjustments.

And a stable temp is more important than an exact temp.

Make sure you post pics and info of your cook, you might be sharing tips with me since I have only done 1👍

• Like 1

Hello,

New member here hoping to snap up one of the Aldi Kamados on Sunday if I'm lucky enough - I know there are a couple of different sizes of AK out there - can anyone advise if the current one is classed as the 16" or the 20" please? Been enjoying watching @Bbq life uk's videos on YT over the last week or so - excited to join the community but worried about the disappointment I'll have on Sunday if I don't get one!

Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, Comacchio said:

Hello,

New member here hoping to snap up one of the Aldi Kamados on Sunday if I'm lucky enough - I know there are a couple of different sizes of AK out there - can anyone advise if the current one is classed as the 16" or the 20" please? Been enjoying watching @Bbq life uk's videos on YT over the last week or so - excited to join the community but worried about the disappointment I'll have on Sunday if I don't get one!

Thanks 

They are normally around 18.5 inches this the first batch to this year were able to fit the 20" YNNI divide and conquer. So they are on the bigger side of AK's i hope this makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Bbq life uk said:

They are normally around 18.5 inches this the first batch to this year were able to fit the 20" YNNI divide and conquer. So they are on the bigger side of AK's i hope this makes sense. 

Thanks for the response. Alarm set for early on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Comacchio said:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

where did you see it was going on sale sunday?

also most recent aldi sales have gone on sale at 8am but it's good to try and get on the website a bit before then, i don't think there's much point staying up all night to try and get one

Edited by TheBeardedDan

13 minutes ago, TheBeardedDan said:

where did you see it was going on sale sunday?

also most recent aldi sales have gone on sale at 8am but it's good to try and get on the website a bit before then, i don't think there's much point staying up all night to try and get one

I can't find the page now but it was on the Aldi website saying Sunday 16th.