ALDI KAMADO

andya

13 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Ive used mine 4 times in the 10 days I’ve had it.

2x spatchcock chickens (direct heat, skin up until the end then flipped for a couple of mins)

I did spatchcock yesterday and it was a disaster - the recipe I followed said 10 mins bones down and then flip onto breasts for 20 mins - came out black :(

52 minutes ago, Bbq life uk said:

I'm my opinion stone only crack because they either have a fault or they are heated too quickly. A steel deflecter may have saved it due to it soaking up ambient heat along with the stone

Been looking around online and steel pizza bases seem like they might be a good idea, though finding one to fit is proving quite difficult - i'm wanting 250mmx6mm - has anyone found something like this or did you have a one made up?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrackWilliams said:

I did spatchcock yesterday and it was a disaster - the recipe I followed said 10 mins bones down and then flip onto breasts for 20 mins - came out black :(

What type of heat was it, screaming hot?

I always do 2/3rds bone down, Finnish 1/3 skin down.

The bone acts as a natural heat deflector.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CrackWilliams said:

Been looking around online and steel pizza bases seem like they might be a good idea, though finding one to fit is proving quite difficult - i'm wanting 250mmx6mm - has anyone found something like this or did you have a one made up?

Try Chris Mason https://www.facebook.com/chriss.mason on Facebook his company The Filthy Pig Sign Company will laser cut any design you like.

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at pizza steels and replacement deflector plates online and have settled on having them cut to spec by a local firm. 

They quoted me £50 initially for a 35cm pizza stone in 6mm mild steel, that’s their basic price for a one-off order. After a bit of haggling that are doing a 29cm deflector in 4mm for me, and a 35cm pizza steel in 6mm. The grand total for both is £60 😁👍

Edited by Robdan
Typo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, CrackWilliams said:

That's a great price @Robdan whereabouts are you based?

I'm in South Wales, CF43. That price didn't include any P&P as they are 5 mins away from me and I can collect. I would have preferred stainless but at that price mild steel works for me 🍺

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 8:00 PM, Randomguy said:

:( still no dispatch email from aldi and I ordered at 3am after it went live!

I am in scotland though, anyone else still waiting?

Ordered mine on Sunday 30th had an email from Aldi and delivery company XPD  who have had it in their warehouse since the 5th May  - I'm waiting on them phoning me and they say it will arrive after 72 hours - think the bank holiday has held it up  - hoping to hear soon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrackWilliams said:

@Smokin Monkey it was about 210c - though it did shoot up to about 250c for a short time (I believe this was a newbie error on my part) - I think next time that I might put the heat deflector in and do indirect?

The method I used was as follows:

Pre-heated to c180c

Grill rack on top of the deflector holder (but with no deflector) - i.e. grill at felt level

Spatchcocked bird on grill bone side down

Didn't open the lid again until the thermometer was reading 72c

Flipped the chicken and opened up the daisy wheel for a quick blast to crisp the skin

The chicken took about 1 hour to cook, maybe a little more.

• Like 1

Hi guys, new to the forum. I've been considering buying the aldi kamado as I want to do more smoking after doing some (moderately successfully) on my webber kettle. Does anyone who has one not recommend it, all i can find are positive reviews of it turns up in one piece! But thought I'd ask some experts advice! Cheers 

5 minutes ago, Kamado newbie said:

Sorry if this has already been covered.  Ours arrived this morning.  Love it.  Only slight thing is that the screws for the handles don't seem long enough if you put the washers on IYSWIM?  Any thoughts?

Apparently as per the side tables you dont put the washers back on. Only there to ensure bolts stay on in transit. It's a typo in the manual. Same as the fact the fire box is all one piece this year