Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

No idea on quality or anything like that but I came across this price from Hill's Quality Coals - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any xp with these guys:

https://hillsqualitycoals.co.uk/product/12kg-catering-charcoal/

The pretty generic-looking bag in the picture suggests it is 'restaurant charcoal' (perhaps notably, not 'restaurant grade charcoal') and the URL calls it 'catering charcoal' - but it's running at £12.95 per 12kg bag, clocking in at just over a quid per KG. Looks like the business has been around a while but this seems like the sort of thing they might've bought in a hurry due to running out of other stock - no reviews of the product and the Supagrill lump they seem to stock as normal is all gone.

Might be worth a punt but definitely a risk of buyer's remorse as they're looking for a £60 minimum order... will let folks know if I bite the bullet...

Not sure how easy it is to register with them, but looks as you can register as an individual as well as a business.

JJfoodservice are doing 15kg bags and boxes  of Big K Restaurant Grade Charcoal for £14.99 collection only if you have a depot near you (not sure if VAT needs to be added) still good value if it does.

Also sell some decent cuts of meat also, by the looks of it

List of Branches

Aston Branch

Basingstoke Branch

Bristol Branch

Dagenham Branch

Doncaster Branch

Leeds Branch

Leicester Branch

Enfield Branch

Manchester Branch

Newcastle Branch

Sidcup Branch

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sotv said:

Not sure how easy it is to register with them, but looks as you can register as an individual as well as a business.

JJfoodservice are doing 15kg bags and boxes  of Big K Restaurant Grade Charcoal for £14.99 collection only if you have a depot near you (not sure if VAT needs to be added) still good value if it does.

Also sell some decent cuts of meat also, by the looks of it

List of Branches

Aston Branch

Basingstoke Branch

Bristol Branch

Dagenham Branch

Doncaster Branch

Leeds Branch

Leicester Branch

Enfield Branch

Manchester Branch

Newcastle Branch

Sidcup Branch

I’ve just registered really easy and they have collection slots available today within an hour.

I’m gonna give them a try this weekend.

Thank you for the link.

• Like 1

Good to hear registering is easy. If you get chance and go instore, can you check the Ribs and Pork Collars out. they seem to do 3 or 4 different types of ribs and happy to travel the 12 miles to my nearest one, if they look decent quality.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Good to hear registering is easy. If you get chance and go instore, can you check the Ribs and Pork Collars out. they seem to do 3 or 4 different types of ribs and happy to travel the 12 miles to my nearest one, if they look decent quality.

I believe I can collect only but will have a look if I can.

Just ordered 5 Bags from hills on the link above, as I happen to live in Surrey, and one of the staff happens to live near me it is apparently being delivered this evening with no delivery charge! That beats Amazon hands down for speed. Will let you know what it is like

• Like 1

Not the cheapest, but maybe handy if you need some quickly?.

Morrisons doing the 15kg Bags of BIG K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood for £20 . I Don't think it will be a regularly stocked item as their was a full pallet at the front of the store, where they usually stock seasonal  promotional offers. Had to be a good 50-60 bags on the pallet. I would have happily had some from the top, not sure I would want the ones on the very bottom though.

1 hour ago, tedmus said:

Same here, have used it for years

That's great news that Everburning have stock again. I do like there stuff. That said, i'm using a cracking sack of Olive Green firewood at the moment. It's a shame there sacks are so hit & miss.

Cheers n Gone NIck 

Long time lurker, first time caller. 😁

Charcoal prices have gone through the roof with he world and it's brother BBQing like mad in lockdown. My local supplier (Logsdirect.co.uk) usually charge between £10 and £12 for the blue bag 12Kg so-called restaurant charcoal.I've been using it for years and it's pretty good, though I have had the odd bag that was hit-and-miss.

I'm giving this one a go: https://www.fogonuk.co.uk/#shop £32 for 20kg. Will report back on what it's like. It'll be mainly used for long smokes in a kamado smoker.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, Germano said:

I had mine from https://www.fogonuk.co.uk/ several times (only £10 per 10kg when collecting in Middlesbrough), can't fault it. I love a good bbq, but never tried a kamado yet. How did it go for you?

I've not tried it in the kamado yet, to be honest. Nice big lumps in the bag and seems to burn OK in the Weber. Needs more air than I'm used to though.

Hopefully the weather improves again as I've got some ribs that I want to smoke at the weekend.

My recent experience with Weber lumpwood charcoal has been less than impressive. It's done a job for grilling up a few burgers and sausages, but it just seems to burn so hot and so fast. I've only ever used Heat Beads in my WSM, and have tended towards briquettes in the past as they're reliable in terms of shape and burning times.

Does the barbecue have a significant impact on how successful the lumpwood is? I've seen videos of people using lumpwood in a Big Green Egg, but never really seen anyone using it in a WSM.

As I say, I've used it recently for burgers because it gets hot fast and it's a tad cheaper than Heat Beads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul6057 said:

My recent experience with Weber lumpwood charcoal has been less than impressive. It's done a job for grilling up a few burgers and sausages, but it just seems to burn so hot and so fast. I've only ever used Heat Beads in my WSM, and have tended towards briquettes in the past as they're reliable in terms of shape and burning times.

Does the barbecue have a significant impact on how successful the lumpwood is? I've seen videos of people using lumpwood in a Big Green Egg, but never really seen anyone using it in a WSM.

As I say, I've used it recently for burgers because it gets hot fast and it's a tad cheaper than Heat Beads.

on my old grill Lumpwood was absolutely useless for me. it would just burn so hot and fast and I had zero control compared to briquettes.

On my kamado I use lumpwood and have no problems controlling it, even with the same brands (and the same bag!).

My old grill was a real cheap amd knackered one with plenty of airholes, 2 hours burn i would get on average out of briquettes👎

I put it down to how airtight your grill is. Briquettes are compressed and will burn more consistently. Lumpwood is greedy and will burn as hot and as fast as it possibly can so you need to basically drip feed it oxygen.

The amount of oxygen you give it will set the maximum amount it can consume, which then sets your maximum temp.

I would say both are as good as each other though👍 

Edited by AdamG
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 11:45 AM, tedmus said:

Fogon works great in my kamado.

Agreed! I found that on the Weber it needed a LOT of air, however on the kamado it was brilliant. I did some ribs today and the smoke ring was exceptional (had 3 chunks of chestnut in there). The smoke flavour was the best that I've had on ribs with the smoke ring being a generous 1/4 at its narrowest.

The Fogon has massive chunks in there too...too big for the Weber. Some of them were about 8 inches across. Perfect for kamado smoking!

I'll be buying this stuff again!