Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

Relatively new to all of this and just stumbled across this forum/discussion - I've been using Everburning Resaurant Charcoal - has anyone used before? It's generally large chunks and I think it burns pretty well (hot and long) but I've not got much to compare it to (other than the crap you get a petrol stations) how does it compare to say Big K / CPL / Green Olive? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AWax said:

Relatively new to all of this and just stumbled across this forum/discussion - I've been using Everburning Resaurant Charcoal - has anyone used before? It's generally large chunks and I think it burns pretty well (hot and long) but I've not got much to compare it to (other than the crap you get a petrol stations) how does it compare to say Big K / CPL / Green Olive? 

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Checked the link you have put up and it looks decent, but could not get a delivery price for it?

I se a lot of Restaurant Charcoal

,FA2ADD01-0F24-4A59-8A13-B1023CC0327C.thumb.jpeg.8def88f29f48083c16f114b52e7893e1.jpeg

This picture was taken at one of our East Anglia Tailgate

It suits my type of cooking, but a lot of members use Bricketts, like Heat Beads and Coco Shell Bricketts.

2 hours ago, AWax said:

I have used one bag of this. Apart from the ProQ Coco (although am discovering some drawbacks as well with these), my favourite charcoal so far. 

Before Everburning, (which is not everburning btw 😀 ), i just used whatever i could get. I have ordered some of the Green Olive stuff as it looks similar quality but at a better price. 

Phil.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AWax said:

Thanks - glad to hear it's on the upper end though may check out Green Olive if reports are positive. I'm mostly grilling at the moment and I prefer the high heat from the lump-wood over the lower heat from the Weber briquettes. 

I historically (since March!) have used the Pro Q Coco for low and slow with lumpwood for grilling.  Before March i was a burn a burger on the grill BBQer. 🤣 Thank god i got my life together!

The Pro Q are very uniform and you get a very even burn over a long period of time and little ash. The drawback i have found really is about reuse. Once partially used, they become very brittle and even a gentle shake can reduce what look like solid lumps to powder. I typically am throwing away more unburnt powder charocal than burnt ash from these. So it seems very wasteful. 

Once the Green Olive stock arrives, i will be trying a few lumpwood low and slow cooks and see if i can keep a slow consistent burn with that. I probably have over 50Kg of the Coco to get through as well!

The Everburn stuff is nice and clean, decent sized lumps and burns well. 

Phil. 

i find that with lumpwood sometimes the ones at the bottom of the pile  are smashed to small pieces, depends how they are transported too. It is the luck of the draw, at least if you go to a shop you can sort of gauge it.  Hopefully the other bags are better. I remember buying two bags at the national tailgate form the garden centre across the road here and one was lovely great big lumps and the other washed smashed little bits....you might go back to them and say that this is not good enough? It has been mishandled and smashed to smithereens?

Edited by Justin

My Green Olive delivery has just arrived. 

I also have 4 x 5Kg bags. (This kinda blows the clearing out 10kg bags story out of the water)

I have taken a picture of the contents of one of them. 

IMG_20190930_111045.thumb.jpg.c51300cffc7ecb27a793fe0c50e79441.jpg

Some larger, some smaller. I think for my needs it should be fine.

The small Kamado will work well with the smaller pieces. ProQ or big grill for the larger ones. 

Thanks, Phil.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, sotv said:

Green Olive Firewood are discontinuing their 10kg bag sizes of Long Burn Lumpwood Charcoal and Briquetttes and have a 50% discount code BBQ50 Whilst stocks last. Also If you order £150 of them before discount you get free delivery as well

Just ordered 11 bags (110kg) of Lumpwood for £82.44 (75p a kg) delivered I thought it has got to be worth a punt at that price.

Just need top find somewhere to store them over the winter now 😀

They still have the code if people aren’t sure. Just ordered 60 kg. That’s a fantastic deal. 

2 hours ago, tedmus said:

I used it for steaks on the Weber and kebabs on the Move It (Go Anywhere clone) at the weekend. No problem with the temps and was probably left with a third of a chimney of reusable stuff left over after the steaks.

Not tried in the kamados yet.

Any noticable flavour from the charcoal?

I think i am going mad, but i thought the bag i opened smelled good. :)

Phil

4 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Any noticable flavour from the charcoal?

I think i am going mad, but i thought the bag i opened smelled good. :)

Phil

I had an oak chunk in when I did the steaks and the babs were rubbed with A&O Tikka Gold so no pure charcoal flavour that I could determine. Smelled nice when burning and had a more greenish flame rather than the blue I get with EBC.

edit to add nothing discernible from cooking over EBC but lumpwood always gives a nice flavour when grilling.

Edited by tedmus