Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

I used Green Olive for 60kg in 6 10kg. When they finally arrived (3 days later than I was told) they were in 2 boxes, not bags. I sent an email complaining about the entire thing and fair play to them (the person I was talking to was Andy) they held their hands up and apologised for the entire thing and offered a 50% code for my next purchase. Fair play for them holding their hands up for the mistake. 
The lumpwood is varied in size from fistsized to thumb sized. Has anyone else noticed this?

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, James17 said:

Anyone use big k? Seems to do very well in the firefly tests, all 3 types 

It's ok...over the last 3 years I've gone through most of what's for sale...started off with lumpwood, then tried all sorts, beads, blocks, coconut,  but have finished up back with lumpwood,  it suits me.

Ice.

23 hours ago, James17 said:

Anyone use big k? Seems to do very well in the firefly tests, all 3 types 

I have used the Restaurant grade Lumpwood, Coconut shell Briquettes and ones that come stick shaped ( can't remember the name) Happy with them all, consistent burning and usually good sized lumps . But only buy, them when i see an offer, if i can get them for around £1.30 a kg or less delivered. Usually purchase then. if not there are other good ones out there for around that price.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I'm in the market to stock up on lumpwood again. I've got through the bags of Olive green firewood, i'm not keen to by some more as i found it difficult to get a high heat from. Ever Burning charcoal are out of stock & Big K BCH15 lumpwood is a small fortune.

Any suggestions or offers you have seen about the place?

Cheers n Gone Nick

3 minutes ago, tedmus said:

I bought some of this recently when it was £29 for 2 bags delivered. Price has gone up since so not sure I would buy again but impressed with it, massive chunks in the bag and burns well with a nice aroma, great in the kamado.

https://www.fogonuk.co.uk/#shop

Looks good. Is is good for high heat and how stable would it be in a WSM. Or stick to briquettes? 

I had weber briquettes on Sunday in wsm ticking along at 92 degrees c. One vent closed one small crack and one really slightly opened. It was quite breezy. 

I have tried heat beads coco shells green olive etc. For me I keep coming back to the same thing. They are so consistent.

I used to use lumpwood but not going back to that. I like you can shut the bbq down and you will have plenty of life left in then next time

12 minutes ago, James17 said:

Looks good. Is is good for high heat and how stable would it be in a WSM. Or stick to briquettes? 

Burns hot yes.

Couldn't advise as to whether it would be good in a WSM as I don't have one and only used briquettes in the Callow that I do have.

33 minutes ago, Justin said:

I had Weber briquettes on Sunday in wsm ticking along at 92 degrees c. One vent closed one small crack and one really slightly opened. It was quite breezy. 

I have tried heat beads coco shells green olive etc. For me I keep coming back to the same thing. They are so consistent.

I used to use lumpwood but not going back to that. I like you can shut the bbq down and you will have plenty of life left in then next time

i must admit i'm leaning towards briquettes, they will suit the variety of smokers & bbq's I use better than lumpwood i think. You mention Weber, are there any other clean briquette brands worth considering, I've only every used them in an emergency when i didn't have lumpwood.

Cheers N Gone Nick

I was really impressed with the Olive Green briquettes. For me they were stable and burnt at a high temp, almost 300C according to my thermometer.

That said, I do use an imitation slow n sear which helps hugely concentrate the heat.

My favourite are Big K's coco-shell, but I tend to use them for longer cooks as they last up to eight hours.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I only use lumpwood for quick cooks (pizzas, burgers, skillet cooks, etc). Briquettes I use for long cooks. 

Is that the key difference between the two, Simon?

What I've read here seems to suggest:

- Lumpwood - high heat, burns hotter but for less time

- Briquettes - burns cooler but for much longer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sub333 said:

Is that the key difference between the two, Simon?

What I've read here seems to suggest:

- Lumpwood - high heat, burns hotter but for less time

- Briquettes - burns cooler but for much longer

What you put there is what I am led to believe. I also found a deal on lumpwood last year so I have about 30kg in my shed. I find that the price of good briquettes quite expensive so I try not to use them for basic cooks. 

Riverside Garden Centre are doing the BIg K Restaurant Grade 15 kg lumpwood bags for £23.99 (£50 free delivery) if you wanted more than 2 bags of the Big K

You can get 2 x 15 kg Bags of Big K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood from Socal for £47.50 delivered at the moment (limit 2 per order)

You could also add 2 Weber Lumpwood x 10 kg and 2 Weber briquettes x 8kg to bring it to £104 which gives you free delivery

66Kg of Charcoal for £104 maybe too steep for most, but  at this moment in time for quality charcoal, it is about as good as your going to get, for stocked items, delivered. Unless you can get to a wholesaler like Bookers and hope they have some in stock to buy at normal prices?

Also my Morrisons (not sure about all of them) were doing the BIG K Premium grade 100% natural FSC certified lumpwood charcoal 5kg bags for £7, if you shop there regularly and not have to make a non essential trip for it. May be worth considering?

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3