Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

I like the look of them because they're cubes, and looks nice and easy to arrange and stack, however I did just order some more Aussie Heat Beats yesterday, so that will do me for a little while.

I tried different coconut shell briquettes before and they seemed good, and I agree on the ash point. In all cases, I find briquettes WAY preferable to lumpwood for consistent temperature, although maybe I should try lumpwood if I want to get temperatures up quicker. I tried a cook on my new ProQ Ranger at the weekend, and it really struggled up to 225F, and when I opened it up to put in the food, it dropped down a lot and took another age to get up to heat again.

1 hour ago, paul6057 said:

In all cases, I find briquettes WAY preferable to lumpwood for consistent temperature, although maybe I should try lumpwood if I want to get temperatures up quicker. I tried a cook on my new ProQ Ranger at the weekend, and it really struggled up to 225F, and when I opened it up to put in the food, it dropped down a lot and took another age to get up to heat again.

I normally use lumpwood to light it and then briquettes for the minion. Are you filling the water dish? I often find if I over-fill it that the temp takes ages to come up. Sometimes I just foil it and don't put any water in at all. And there's a few folk here that use sand instead of water (I've not tried this yet so can't say anything about it from experience). Did you have all your vents open?

2 hours ago, paul6057 said:

I like the look of them because they're cubes, and looks nice and easy to arrange and stack, however I did just order some more Aussie Heat Beats yesterday, so that will do me for a little while.

I tried different coconut shell briquettes before and they seemed good, and I agree on the ash point. In all cases, I find briquettes WAY preferable to lumpwood for consistent temperature, although maybe I should try lumpwood if I want to get temperatures up quicker. I tried a cook on my new ProQ Ranger at the weekend, and it really struggled up to 225F, and when I opened it up to put in the food, it dropped down a lot and took another age to get up to heat again.

In my experience I find you need an airtight grill (excluding intake and exhaust of course) to tame lumpwood with consistency.

I only use lumpwood now on my kamado but when I used it on my old grill (lid had gaps and holes in the body) It would overshoot to about 260f, drop when I load with food and never get back to 225f, then fizzle out far sooner than briquettes....I would then be in a panic to get some briquettes lit lol.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chae said:

I normally use lumpwood to light it and then briquettes for the minion. Are you filling the water dish? I often find if I over-fill it that the temp takes ages to come up. Sometimes I just foil it and don't put any water in at all. And there's a few folk here that use sand instead of water (I've not tried this yet so can't say anything about it from experience). Did you have all your vents open?

First cook, so I'll give it another go. I think maybe I just need to light a greater amount of coals, and put less unlit coals in the smoker to start with. Maybe I'll get a bag of lumpwood to start up with, because like you say, it gets up to temp way faster.

For the firebowl, I filled it with sand, but maybe I should take out some of that sand, or just try it with an empty bowl next time.

14 hours ago, paul6057 said:

First cook, so I'll give it another go. I think maybe I just need to light a greater amount of coals, and put less unlit coals in the smoker to start with. Maybe I'll get a bag of lumpwood to start up with, because like you say, it gets up to temp way faster.

For the firebowl, I filled it with sand, but maybe I should take out some of that sand, or just try it with an empty bowl next time.

Yeah, if it's your first cook on the ProQ it'll all come together eventually, it's just about testing what works and what doesn't. Wade very helpfully put this information on another topic before which might help you out (down near the bottom of the page):

Like I said, I haven't tried using sand yet - I seem to do ok with water (or no water if I need it higher) but maybe @Icefevercan give a bit of advice about using it in case there's tips or tricks?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals,

Only joined the forum yesterday and looking to buy the Callow as my first smoker. I've read all the post in this thread, hoping to get a definitive answer as to which charcoal to use. The one constant piece of information is, buy good/great quality charcoal, be it lumpwood or briquettes. It also seems that users prefer lumpwood for hotter open style grilling, whilst briquettes appear to be favoured for low and slow cooking.

Over the years I discovered the cheaper petrol station brands not to be the best, and through trial and error I ended up using either Webber briquettes and Bookers restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal.

I'm now learning about heat beads and coco shell briquettes, and think I'd like to give them a try, along with my usual buys. I'm looking to start small, with cook times of a maximum of 2 hours, until I get a feel for what I'm doing. 

2 hours ago, Grandadfatboy said:

Hi guys and gals,

Only joined the forum yesterday and looking to buy the Callow as my first smoker. I've read all the post in this thread, hoping to get a definitive answer as to which charcoal to use. The one constant piece of information is, buy good/great quality charcoal, be it lumpwood or briquettes. It also seems that users prefer lumpwood for hotter open style grilling, whilst briquettes appear to be favoured for low and slow cooking.

Over the years I discovered the cheaper petrol station brands not to be the best, and through trial and error I ended up using either Webber briquettes and Bookers restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal.

I'm now learning about heat beads and coco shell briquettes, and think I'd like to give them a try, along with my usual buys. I'm looking to start small, with cook times of a maximum of 2 hours, until I get a feel for what I'm doing. 

I have only jus started with bullet cooking and I have been sticking to Makro restaurant grade lump wood, which I guess is the same as Booker's, it may not be the best but it is reasonably priced and I do not want to introduce too many variables whilst I am learning.  I think this has paid off because I feel I can easily control the temperature now for for short and long cooks.

Good luck

Martin

• Like 2

Hi Ripple,

I still have a 1/4 of a bag of Booker restaurant lumpwood, but probably less than that of the Webber briquettes. They will serve to give the the Callow a first burn, and for me to start getting a handle on controlling temperature, and seeing how long the burn lasts for a  given amount of each charcoal.

Ordered my Callow today from Garden Gift Shop, one of the vendors supporting this forum. Competitive price and delivery on Tuesday, which is wifey's birthday. Looking forward to getting going now.

• Like 3

I was in hospital on her birthday in 2019, and we were in lockdown last year, and I promised her I would replace a gold bracelet that kept breaking. So as soon as the shops open I will be taking her shopping for a new bracelet. In the meantime she will have something to open, and assemble on her birthday. How generous am I? 🤣

• Haha 3

Can anybody help me. I’ve been making charcoal on a small scale and look to sell it.

People here have referred to fist-thumb or golf-soft ball sizes.

I appreciate small bits that fall through the grill are annoying but how small could I go?

I’d appreciate your views as I want people to be happy with everything that comes out of the bag.

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello guys, I'm new here. I'm based up in the Lakes and for a while I have struggled to find any decent local suppliers for lumpwood, it's mostly the pish you find in garages or massively overpriced tiny bags from garden centres here (like £20 for 5kg of some organic speciality brand which tourists usually buy because there's nothing else available). I have been using Green Olive premium lumpwood which I do like, but the shipping cost to get is sent up from Sussex is making it a bit too expensive (my missus has been telling me off!!) as the free shipping for orders over £150 doesn't cover my postcode, otherwise I would of bought in bulk and shared it with my brother.

So I'm on the lookout for an alternative brand of similar quality. I've noticed Big K Dura (ACH15) is £23 for 15kg on the Big K website at the moment with free shipping to all mainland UK on orders over £30. I'm very tempted to get a couple of bags to test it out. What's peoples thoughts on the Big K Dura? Is it worth a bash or should I be on the lookout for something else?

I cook using a Kamado and I tend to prefer lumpwood over briquets.

Cheers, SB

17 hours ago, Germano said:

Never used Big K but I can highly reccommend FogonUK. Much cheaper if you can pick it up from Middlesbrough or if you place a big order. I haven't used it on a Kamado yet but others have with good results.

Oh thanks for the tip off. I see there's a few other people recommending the same brand. Middlesbrough isn't too far from me, just a jaunt along the A66. I think I'll get a test bag delivered to see if I like them and if I do I can pop over and do a van run and load up in bulk!

I've used Big K - I can't remember if I've used the Dura or not but generally anything that's their restaurant grade has been fine for me - I think I've had one bag where the bottom has been a bit smush but I just use that in my Go Anywhere when I need to add some more coals. Handy if you can't get to somewhere where you can pick it up. I'm in Aberdeen so there's less places up here the do it so sometimes it's easier to order

Edited by Chae

On 8/23/2021 at 11:51 PM, StevieBeavie said:

Hello guys, I'm new here. I'm based up in the Lakes and for a while I have struggled to find any decent local suppliers for lumpwood, it's mostly the pish you find in garages or massively overpriced tiny bags from garden centres here (like £20 for 5kg of some organic speciality brand which tourists usually buy because there's nothing else available). I have been using Green Olive premium lumpwood which I do like, but the shipping cost to get is sent up from Sussex is making it a bit too expensive (my missus has been telling me off!!) as the free shipping for orders over £150 doesn't cover my postcode, otherwise I would of bought in bulk and shared it with my brother.

So I'm on the lookout for an alternative brand of similar quality. I've noticed Big K Dura (ACH15) is £23 for 15kg on the Big K website at the moment with free shipping to all mainland UK on orders over £30. I'm very tempted to get a couple of bags to test it out. What's peoples thoughts on the Big K Dura? Is it worth a bash or should I be on the lookout for something else?

I cook using a Kamado and I tend to prefer lumpwood over briquets.

Cheers, SB

Lumpwood only for kamados. Briquettes produce too much ash.

Whereabouts in the Lakes are you? Logs Direct (just outside Halton on the road to Kirby Lonsdale) do blue bags of restaurant lumpwood for a tenner if you collect. I've been using it for years and it is good stuff.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:20 PM, The Chairmaker said:

Lumpwood only for kamados. Briquettes produce too much ash.

Whereabouts in the Lakes are you? Logs Direct (just outside Halton on the road to Kirby Lonsdale) do blue bags of restaurant lumpwood for a tenner if you collect. I've been using it for years and it is good stuff.

I'm out west near Whitehaven. I'll have to pop by next time I'm that side of the county and pick up a bag or two. I pulled the trigger on a bag of Big K Dura the other day as I was in dire need of something quickly, but I have a few local tips offs now.

I'm only interested in lumpwood, which is why living here is frustrating, most places in easy reach of me that do sell charcoal seam to only do briquettes or tiny overpriced bags of lump (I'm not interested in being bent over a barrel for 5kg of lump for £20!!)

Hi guys, a chap over on Reddit has just tipped me off about a garden centre selling Green Olive Premium lumpwood with 40% off, so £15 a bag (12kg). £5 for delivery on orders below £75, free delivery above £75. Looks like a smashing deal considering its currently £26 a bag direct from Green Olive. Link below

https://www.vanhage.co.uk/green-olive-premium-professional-lumpwood-12kg-810344

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, StevieBeavie said:

Hi guys, a chap over on Reddit has just tipped me off about a garden centre selling Green Olive Premium lumpwood with 40% off, so £15 a bag (12kg). £5 for delivery on orders below £75, free delivery above £75. Looks like a smashing deal considering its currently £26 a bag direct from Green Olive. Link below

https://www.vanhage.co.uk/green-olive-premium-professional-lumpwood-12kg-810344

Great price for quality lumpwood. My go-to, but never seen it this low. 

Just ordered some! Thanks for the tip StevieBeavie. 

I’ve been using Big K Dura Restaurant Grade which I think is great. £22.99 per 15KG with some very big pieces. There was a 20% discount during the euros so I bought a few bags. 

I’m down to my last one, so was looking for an end of season deal and this looks like the perfect deal!

Incidentally my BBQ buddy said that Big K Dura is in Morrison’s for a pound less £21.99 per 15kg if you can find it. 

11 hours ago, pmba said:

Great price for quality lumpwood. My go-to, but never seen it this low. 

Yeah, I was amazed at the price, I just hope it hasn't been pulverised so they are getting rid of it cheap. The optimist in me thinks that they are clearing summer stock to make room for the horde of Christmas tat that garden centres like to push on you from September onwards...

4 hours ago, Tarmac said:

Just ordered some! Thanks for the tip StevieBeavie. 

I’ve been using Big K Dura Restaurant Grade which I think is great. £22.99 per 15KG with some very big pieces. There was a 20% discount during the euros so I bought a few bags. 

I’m down to my last one, so was looking for an end of season deal and this looks like the perfect deal!

Incidentally my BBQ buddy said that Big K Dura is in Morrison’s for a pound less £21.99 per 15kg if you can find it. 

Glad you got in on it pal. I'm with you on the Big K Dura, the bag I have open at the moment has been good stuff, I'd say in my top 3 preferred charcoals. I'll definitely be on the sniff for deals on it in the future, I'm guessing its just catching them when they are available. I'm quite rural so my local supermarkets are rather sparse when it comes to deals like that, the last time I seen any charcoal available in my Morrisons, it was a cheap Barbie and a bag of briquettes bundle for £30...