Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

4 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I use this the majority of the time, good size pieces. Not sure if @Ryan posted a picture of a piece in his bag from the Anglia Tailgate. It was the size of a large boulder!

Any info on cooking time?? heat??  from what you've just said I think it'll be worth buying a couple of bags.

Ice.

7 hours ago, Secla said:

looks like the same stuff that b&q and coals2u are selling

same colour bag and larger pieces but different print

I got a bag from b&q for £12 last week

From my experience the  Coals2u Lumpwood is from a different manufacturer to the ones Bookers sell. I have bought both. I know CPL manufacture the Coals2U one and it comes in a blue plastic bag with raffia inlay. Not sure who makes the Booker one but it comes in a toughened paper bag, mine usually has Multiple languages written on it. Not tried the B&Q one 

Also if anyone likes using the BIG K Restaurant Grade Charcoal Flubit are selling the bags of Lumpwood (rather than the stick version of BigK that Ocado are) for £15.05 delivered for 12kg. Not as good a value as Bookers, but a good brand and delivered to the door

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

This is Lump Wood.

Not done a comparison,  it cooks hot and lasts, some say it sparks a lot.

I've found it does spark a lot, but the big chunks hold heat for a good while especially on a slow cook. I've only ever used these to be honest, but would like to compare it to say Big K's version of this. 

Has anyone tried the hexagonal briquettes?

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, Ugly Drum Dave said:

B&Q have 20% off this weekend

https://www.diy.com/departments/restaurant-charcoal-12kg/5060098640071_BQ.prd

This is good value at £12 a bag but at £9.60 it is a steal.

The last place I want to be is B&Q on a bank holiday weekend but if you order click and collect you get the discount and have 7 days to collect.

Excellent, thanks for the tip. Just ordered three bags 😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Am going to try some of this charcoal this weekend.

Have never used lumpwood before. Am I right in thinking that it burns hotter than briquettes but not as long? 

If I'm cooking lamb slow for 6-8hrs, will one load of lumpwood be enough? (have a ProQ Frontier)

It burns according to how much air you let into the smoker, you can restrict the temperature by regulating the airflow. I have used both lumpwood and  briquettes in the past but i prefer weber briquettes these days, they are easier for slo and slo like snake minion method than lumpwood and they stack easier. I use a kettle and a wsm not a uds

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Justin said:

It burns according to how much air you let into the smoker, you can restrict the temperature by regulating the airflow. I have used both lumpwood and  briquettes in the past but i prefer weber briquettes these days, they are easier for slo and slo like snake minion method than lumpwood and they stack easier. I use a kettle and a wsm not a uds

Would minion method still work?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, Ugly Drum Dave said:

B&Q have 20% off this weekend

https://www.diy.com/departments/restaurant-charcoal-12kg/5060098640071_BQ.prd

This is good value at £12 a bag but at £9.60 it is a steal.

The last place I want to be is B&Q on a bank holiday weekend but if you order click and collect you get the discount and have 7 days to collect.

This offer is finished, but currently doing them 2 for £20 instore if they have stock (mine doesn't)

B&Q

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Green Olive Firewood are discontinuing their 10kg bag sizes of Long Burn Lumpwood Charcoal and Briquetttes and have a 50% discount code BBQ50 Whilst stocks last. Also If you order £150 of them before discount you get free delivery as well

Just ordered 11 bags (110kg) of Lumpwood for £82.44 (75p a kg) delivered I thought it has got to be worth a punt at that price.

Just need top find somewhere to store them over the winter now 😀

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sotv said:

Green Olive Firewood are discontinuing their 10kg bag sizes of Long Burn Lumpwood Charcoal and Briquetttes and have a 50% discount code BBQ50 Whilst stocks last. Also If you order £150 of them before discount you get free delivery as well

Just ordered 11 bags (110kg) of Lumpwood for £82.44 (75p a kg) delivered I thought it has got to be worth a punt at that price.

Fantastic thanks for the heads up. Just ordered 4 bags to see me through to next year. 

The last lot of CPL restaurant grade I've got left over is getting dumped at the tip. It was absolutely crap 👎

11 hours ago, sotv said:

Ordered 40kg for £40 delivered, have you used this stuff before?

• Like 1