Jump to content
sotv

Best Lumpwood Charcoal

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Simon said:

Cheers Phil. Booked it Monday and still haven’t heard anything is all. 

Ordered mine on a Monday, turned up the following Monday. By chance I I did contact them on the actual day it arrived, saying I hadn't had a dispatch note yet or any notification at all except an email acknowledgement of order and they apologised, and sent me the Fedex tracking details. Got it literally as it was being delivered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sotv said:

Ordered mine on a Monday, turned up the following Monday. By chance I I did contact them on the actual day it arrived, saying I hadn't had a dispatch note yet or any notification at all except an email acknowledgement of order and they apologised, and sent me the Fedex tracking details. Got it literally as it was being delivered

I’ll contact them on the Monday if nothing heard.

It sounds like the wine club I’m part of, I got told my box of wine was coming then nothing all day, only when I contacted the depot did they tell me it arrived damaged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a pic of my compact Kamado loaded up with the Green Olive stuff for a chicken thigh kebab cook today.

There were a few larger lumps, but the vast majority of the bag was like this. 

IMG_20191005_152716.thumb.jpg.665799f0ae5eeed66a92b32cf923866c.jpg

It did crackle a bit in the beginning, but didn't do it throughout. 

I did struggle with this cook a bit, I couldn't regulate the temps with any control.  I think this was because some of the lumps are so small, they are blocking airflow. You can see i was careful to not block the side holes in the firebox. Kamado's are sensitive to lack of airflow.

On balance, for the money, its OK. If it was larger, it would be great. Next time, I will go back to Everburning i think. 

Phil.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered enough to get me through the winter and hopefully enough to get me through at least half the summer.

I've not stored charcoal before,  would it be alright stored in the bags in one if those weatherproof plastic Keter Boxes or would it get knackered by damp? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Rob said:

I ordered enough to get me through the winter and hopefully enough to get me through at least half the summer.

I've not stored charcoal before,  would it be alright stored in the bags in one if those weatherproof plastic Keter Boxes or would it get knackered by damp? 

I keep mine in a Keter Store It Out along with some other bbq bits and pieces and it's fine. I get through quite a bit but usually buy about 40kg at a time so haven't stored for months really.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, Phlashster said:

On balance, for the money, its OK. If it was larger, it would be great. Next time, I will go back to Everburning i think. 

Phil.

 

This is where I'm at I think. Opened the second bag last night and just the same as the first, a few big bits and plenty of small. I'll probably be throwing around a sixth of the bag away as unusable slummy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When people got the charcoal off Green Olive did they get separate bags or all of it in one box image.thumb.jpg.5210b69b062e5be54ff246b088fa1ab7.jpg

not the best picture but that’s about 30kg in one bag that clearly was put in the bottom of a fedex truck and smashed about. Really not impressed. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Simon said:

When people got the charcoal off Green Olive did they get separate bags or all of it in one box 

Mine was 4 x 5kg bags, 2 bags per box. 

Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

Mine was 4 x 5kg bags, 2 bags per box. 

Phil.

Yeah I really don’t recommend using this company. They have been pretty dreadful in their service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Ii once had a bag with huge slabs in and the next one was decimated into small flakes. I stick with Weber Briquettes, they are ever reliable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simon said:

Yeah I really don’t recommend using this company. They have been pretty dreadful in their service. 

 

29 minutes ago, Justin said:

Yes, Ii once had a bag with huge slabs in and the next one was decimated into small flakes. I stick with Weber Briquettes, they are ever reliable

I've used them twice now on recommendation but I think I'll be looking for something else. Its not a cheap product to be unhappy with the results or hit and miss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll make a separate thread about how I found them as I don’t want to take up too much space on this one. I’ll just say that I did not have a good experience with this company. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using the Green Olive 15Kg Premium lumpwood rather than the Longburn Lumpwood & found it to be ok for my use. I do wonder if the smaller bags have smaller lumps on purpose for the beach BBQ'er rather than for larger smoker / BBQ'er to use?

I guess there is probably a reason they have discontinued these 10Kg bags & wonder if it's because large bags of small pieces of lumpwood doesn't have the demand from the target audience of the beach BBQist?

The smaller bags are listed as a mix of dense hardwood. The Premium Lumpwood is quite dense stuff, so less prone to breaking up in transit. It's described as 100% She-Oak whatever that is :) 

https://www.wood-database.com/sheoak/

Cheers n Gone Nick 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

I've been using the Green Olive 15Kg Premium lumpwood rather than the Longburn Lumpwood & found it to be ok for my use. I do wonder if the smaller bags have smaller lumps on purpose for the beach BBQ'er rather than for larger smoker / BBQ'er to use?

I guess there is probably a reason they have discontinued these 10Kg bags & wonder if it's because large bags of small pieces of lumpwood doesn't have the demand from the target audience of the beach BBQist?

 

 

Oh I do not think that is right, I have bought bags that are exactly the same packaging on the same pallet and the difference is remarkable in lumps of good size in one  and smashed into flakes on the next one, I ma pretty sure is the way that have been stacked and stored. I it was for beach bbq's then i believe it would distinguish that on the packet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any deals on lump at the moment anyone knows of?  25 kg of the everburning for £26 on eBay is the best I can find at the moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diggerg said:

Any deals on lump at the moment anyone knows of?  25 kg of the everburning for £26 on eBay is the best I can find at the moment

There’s a website called Cheap Coals that can give you offers in your area, but I have a feeling that the quality may not be that great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Diggerg said:

Any deals on lump at the moment anyone knows of?  25 kg of the everburning for £26 on eBay is the best I can find at the moment

If you get from everburning then get the 15kg bags as the 5kg tends to be in small pieces. Bit more expensive but much better stuff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

Green olive always has deals ? 

Yeah thanks. Just ordered 4 8kg lump and used CHARCOAL 25 as a discount code. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was running low on fuel so nipped to Bookers to get a bag of the lumpwood mentioned in this thread. The stuff looks like its got melted plastic in it??

 

Its firing up in the Chimney as I type in readiness to smoke a leg of Lamb. I'm mighty dubious about this stuff though. Anyone used it?

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191027105057080_COVER.jpg

 

Edit: Attached a picture of the bag for clarity. Its also difficult to light, two twizzelers and its not lighting, put three under it this time. Im guessing its Chinese or something and caked in retardant for shipping purposes 🙄

IMG_20191027_110544.jpg

Edited by Nige
Adding further images and description.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It eventually lit OK, no off putting smells and the UDS is purring away now. Just shocked to see it looking shiny!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...