Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

On 8/31/2021 at 12:46 AM, StevieBeavie said:

Yeah, I was amazed at the price, I just hope it hasn't been pulverised so they are getting rid of it cheap. The optimist in me thinks that they are clearing summer stock to make room for the horde of Christmas tat that garden centres like to push on you from September onwards...

Glad you got in on it pal. I'm with you on the Big K Dura, the bag I have open at the moment has been good stuff, I'd say in my top 3 preferred charcoals. I'll definitely be on the sniff for deals on it in the future, I'm guessing its just catching them when they are available. I'm quite rural so my local supermarkets are rather sparse when it comes to deals like that, the last time I seen any charcoal available in my Morrisons, it was a cheap Barbie and a bag of briquettes bundle for £30...

Well it's arrived and from what I've seen so far, pretty big chunks within the bag. It's certainly not smashed to bits. I'm hoping to give it a test this weekend....

Like you, Big K Dura is to become my go-to. A good price, nice sizes and plenty of heat!

Thanks again for the tip buddy :) 

10 hours ago, Tarmac said:

Here we go! Just had this email and thought I'd share it with you :)

405209529_Screenshot2021-09-06at11_12_49.thumb.png.bc2c70376775aff2a241a5fa193c3815.png

What a deal Tarmac!! I wish I never stocked up so much on that other deal last week!! I think my Mrs will string me up to the washing line by my testicles if I bought ten more bags haha, that and my shed isn't big enough :( for anymore.

Good spotting!

• 6 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 12:49 PM, StevieBeavie said:

Hi guys, a chap over on Reddit has just tipped me off about a garden centre selling Green Olive Premium lumpwood with 40% off, so £15 a bag (12kg). £5 for delivery on orders below £75, free delivery above £75. Looks like a smashing deal considering its currently £26 a bag direct from Green Olive. Link below

https://www.vanhage.co.uk/green-olive-premium-professional-lumpwood-12kg-810344

Van Hage are still doing this offer. I’ve just bought a couple of bags! Customer service on the phone and via email was superb!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart Hill said:

just tried and it's not available for delivery.  😞

Phone them. They did it over the phone. I ran into the same problem, but a lovely lady (Louise) was super helpful and sorted it all out. There was a £4.95 delivery charge. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 7:43 PM, vk2003 said:

Phone them. They did it over the phone. I ran into the same problem, but a lovely lady (Louise) was super helpful and sorted it all out. There was a £4.95 delivery charge. 

Hi,
looks like a great offer. I just phoned them, and they told me they used to offer delivery on this but don't anymore. ☹️

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection. 

I'm not much of a hot 'n' fast cook. Maybe once or twice a month. Mainly L&S or indirect with briqs. However, last summer I bought a 10kg box of BigK Binchotan lump for £29.99. Just to see what all the fuss was about using binchotan. (Reputedly the best lump one can buy). I could have gone for an expensive option, but at £60/10kg I wasn't prepared to pay that, just to experiment with, so I went with the lower-end option.

I can say without doubt this is the best lump I've ever used. I've managed three 1hr grilling sessions, mainly hibachi-style, on just a 3/4 full small Weber chimney, which seems pretty economical to me, shutting the kettle down after each grill. The lump has a metallic ring to it when you knock two pieces together and doesn't leave as much ash compared to other brands I've used. And it burns hot!

A Vortex wing-cook is on the cards with this stuff.

Edit: I've not tried L&S with it.

Edited by OrbandBullet
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, OrbandBullet said:

Bit of a thread resurrection. 

I'm not much of a hot 'n' fast cook. Maybe once or twice a month. Mainly L&S or indirect with briqs. However, last summer I bought a 10kg box of BigK Binchotan lump for £29.99. Just to see what all the fuss was about using binchotan. (Reputedly the best lump one can buy). I could have gone for an expensive option, but at £60/10kg I wasn't prepared to pay that, just to experiment with, so I went with the lower-end option.

I can say without doubt this is the best lump I've ever used. I've managed three 1hr grilling sessions, mainly hibachi-style, on just a 3/4 full small Weber chimney, which seems pretty economical to me, shutting the kettle down after each grill. The lump has a metallic ring to it when you knock two pieces together and doesn't leave as much ash compared to other brands I've used. And it burns hot!

A Vortex wing-cook is on the cards with this stuff.

Edit: I've not tried L&S with it.

Cheers for the heads up. I’ll keep a lookout next time I need some. Where did you buy it from?

9 hours ago, vk2003 said:

Cheers for the heads up. I’ll keep a lookout next time I need some. Where did you buy it from?

BigK website. I bought the lump, but I see they also have Binchostix, which I like the look of.

Edit: At £2.99/kg it appears to be expensive. As I mentioned above these days I'm not a big user of lump so I don't know how economical it would be in comparison with other types of lump. BigK Restaurant Grade,(ACH15) @£1.80/kg for example, which seems popular.

Maybe someone else who mainly use lump could chime in with regards to how much mileage/re-use they get on their regular lump.

Edited by OrbandBullet
  • Thanks 1