Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Riverside Garden Centre are doing the BIg K Restaurant Grade 15 kg lumpwood bags for £23.99 (£50 free delivery) if you wanted more than 2 bags of the Big K

You can get 2 x 15 kg Bags of Big K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood from Socal for £47.50 delivered at the moment (limit 2 per order)

You could also add 2 Weber Lumpwood x 10 kg and 2 Weber briquettes x 8kg to bring it to £104 which gives you free delivery

66Kg of Charcoal for £104 maybe too steep for most, but  at this moment in time for quality charcoal, it is about as good as your going to get, for stocked items, delivered. Unless you can get to a wholesaler like Bookers and hope they have some in stock to buy at normal prices?

Also my Morrisons (not sure about all of them) were doing the BIG K Premium grade 100% natural FSC certified lumpwood charcoal 5kg bags for £7, if you shop there regularly and not have to make a non essential trip for it. May be worth considering?

Thank you - I think I'll go for the Riverside deal, I need a couple of other bits so will get over £50 with those plus two bags.

I'm guessing this type of offering from B&M is unlikely to be great quality? https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/lumpwood-bbq-charcoal-5kg-299886

I ask as when I go shopping later, there is a B&M next door

This place is also near me, bit of a long shot but anyone used their charcoal? https://www.logsdirecthadlow.com/products

Edited by Kentish Man

On 4/20/2020 at 9:24 PM, Justin said:

I had weber briquettes on Sunday in wsm ticking along at 92 degrees c. One vent closed one small crack and one really slightly opened. It was quite breezy. 

I have tried heat beads coco shells green olive etc. For me I keep coming back to the same thing. They are so consistent.

I used to use lumpwood but not going back to that. I like you can shut the bbq down and you will have plenty of life left in then next time

Did you have the Green Olive Briquettes or the Lumpwood Justin? I was about to push the button on 32KG of the stuff but used a small bag I had here & did notice they have off quite an odour when compared with Weber for example? I'm not about to order Aussie heat beads for the Fornetto & Proq I think.

Interested in your thoughts

Cheers n Gone Nick

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

Mate, I always use weber briquettes, they are so dependable

I was going to go with them two but they seem an arm & a leg at the moment. Our local garden centre does do them at a decent price £12.99 for 8kg so i'll try to procure some when they reopen. For the time being i've had to push the button on 26kg of aussie beads, not used them before but understand they are coconut so presume the similar to  the proQ coconut husk things.

Cheers n Gone Nick

I stocked up on the Olive Green stuff last summer on this forum's recommendation.

However, I've always gone to Booker or Makro and bought the Blue Bag Restaurant Grade stuff in there, which I think is around £13-£14 for 12KG.

It burns hot and is occassionally sparky when added to an already hot bed of coal, but it's perfectly usable.

22 hours ago, sotv said:

Riverside Garden Centre are doing the BIg K Restaurant Grade 15 kg lumpwood bags for £23.99 (£50 free delivery) if you wanted more than 2 bags of the Big K

You can get 2 x 15 kg Bags of Big K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood from Socal for £47.50 delivered at the moment (limit 2 per order)

You could also add 2 Weber Lumpwood x 10 kg and 2 Weber briquettes x 8kg to bring it to £104 which gives you free delivery

66Kg of Charcoal for £104 maybe too steep for most, but  at this moment in time for quality charcoal, it is about as good as your going to get, for stocked items, delivered. Unless you can get to a wholesaler like Bookers and hope they have some in stock to buy at normal prices?

Also my Morrisons (not sure about all of them) were doing the BIG K Premium grade 100% natural FSC certified lumpwood charcoal 5kg bags for £7, if you shop there regularly and not have to make a non essential trip for it. May be worth considering?

Also noticed Riverside are doing some restaurant grade charcoal, that looks pretty similar, if not the same as the Bookers Charcoal for £16.20 for a 12kg bag,  . The £50 free delivery still applies so minimum of 3 bags and a bottle of sauce or something else to take it over the £50 or 2 bags and a bag of Big K mentioned above to try the 2 different types as a side by side comparison maybe, for future reference?

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rosco said:

Apologies, I’m new to the forum. Still finding my way around 👍🏻

No apology needed 👍

I've been impressed with it and looking at the options available at the moment I may order some more despite the price increase from my first order.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skagg2000 said:

The aussie beads arrived today, I was surprised how small the bags was but the briquettes seem rather dense hence the small size. I have great expectation for longevity of burn time!

Cheers n Gone Nick

I like them a lot. Take a while to get going but they do last. Smell amazing as well, very Caribbean 

16 hours ago, James17 said:

Mine turned up yesterday, nice quick delivery. I looked through a bag, mixture of medium to large to massive lumps. Didn’t see anything too small. 

I’ll use it this weekend and report back after smoking a ham 

Ordered at 6:30 last night. They just been delivered. Very fast

My experience of lump wood, particular green olive ones,  is that it depends on where in the pallet they are stored, sometime sit is huge lovely lumps and other times is is fine small bits which are next to useless. If buying is ship it easy to check by feel but delivery who know what you get sent.  Another reason i converted to weber briquettes.

Edited by Justin

1 hour ago, Justin said:

My experience of lump wood, particular green olive ones,  is that it depends on where in the pallet they are stored, sometime sit is huge lovely lumps and other times is is fine small bits which are next to useless. If buying is ship it easy to check by feel but delivery who know what you get sent.  Another reason i converted to weber briquettes.

before i got my kamado, I used the weber briquettes aswell and they were the best I ever found.

They were the only brand that burned the paint of my old bbq, suggesting they burned hotter, but they also lasted longer aswell. In my experience the cheap bar-be-quick briquettes turned out to be a false economy in comparison since i went through them alot quicker and costing more in the long run.

...that could have been down to my cheap grill that I had though lol🤔😁

24 minutes ago, AdamG said:

before i got my kamado, I used the weber briquettes aswell and they were the best I ever found.

They were the only brand that burned the paint of my old bbq, suggesting they burned hotter, but they also lasted longer aswell. In my experience the cheap bar-be-quick briquettes turned out to be a false economy in comparison since i went through them alot quicker and costing more in the long run.

...that could have been down to my cheap grill that I had though lol🤔😁

Cheap briquettes are false economy, more sawdust than charcoal

B&Q's home brand lumpwood charcoal is good, decent size and all don't know if they still do it. Currently using the restaurant grade charcoal sparks and spits abit but good sized pieces and lasts a decent amount of time as i was cooking a 6kg pork butt for 18 hours yesterday 

4 minutes ago, AvfcJosh said:

B&Q's home brand lumpwood charcoal is good, decent size and all don't know if they still do it. Currently using the restaurant grade charcoal sparks and spits abit but good sized pieces and lasts a decent amount of time as i was cooking a 6kg pork butt for 18 hours yesterday 

That’s my usual go to charcoal. But B&Q arnt selling it at the moment, according to the website