Best Lumpwood Charcoal

sotv

Hi folks, I have just begun my smoking adventure and joined this forum about 15 minutes ago because you're all saying useful and knowledgeable things that I am liking.

I have a UDS and most videos on youtube, instructions online and books I've read don't really mention the coal and they seem to use basic BBQ briquettes - e.g. the stuff you buy out front of your local Esso. 

However I just couldn't believe the coal was so unimportant so did some more digging and I've found you guys. 

So given all the experience you guys have I'm looking for some advice. Does anyone have experience using the kind of restaurant grade lumpwood charcoals you are talking about in a UDS? If so, does it maintain temperature well, does it last through an 8+ hour brisket cook? Are there any good / bad experiences you can share of using lump in a UDS

Thanks in advance for any replies! I'm new to this so be gentle. 

Hello.

Plenty of UDS experience on forum so I imagine one of  the community will help you on this. 

Beware on cheap briquettes as not all briquettes are the same. I have had cheap ones in the past with stones in for instance. I use weber briquettes now and they are brilliant on my kettle and wsm. For me for a 8 hour plus cook you need briquettes not lumpwood and use minion method unless you are using some sort of airflow regulator controller like a smartfire

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Livi said:

Thanks for the quick reply Justin, much appreciated!

So in simple terms (for my simple mind) lump will burn quicker than briquettes and you'd have to add to the basket during the cook? 

thats correct👍

The only way to use lumpwood for long cooks is if you have an airtight grill with only the intake vent allowing air inside, otherwise it just burns as hot and as fast as it possibly can.

I can recommend the weber briquettes just like Justin, they are the best ones I have used and very consistent in quality. I used to exclusively use them on my old grill.

They seem expensive compared to the cheap ones but they last longer....which basically makes the cheap ones a false economy👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Livi said:

Thanks for the quick reply Justin, much appreciated!

So in simple terms (for my simple mind) lump will burn quicker than briquettes and you'd have to add to the basket during the cook? 

I suspect using lumpwood in a UDS, you'd struggle to maintain a controlled and low temperature unless your unit is really sealed air tight. I, like many, use briquettes in my WSM, and have been using Aussie Heat Beads, which you'll see mentioned a lot around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamG said:

thats correct👍

The only way to use lumpwood for long cooks is if you have an airtight grill with only the intake vent allowing air inside, otherwise it just burns as hot and as fast as it possibly can.

I can recommend the weber briquettes just like Justin, they are the best ones I have used and very consistent in quality. I used to exclusively use them on my old grill.

They seem expensive compared to the cheap ones but they last longer....which basically makes the cheap ones a false economy👍

Thanks Adam, I'll definitely get the Weber ones then and put a few bits of nice wood in amongst the briquettes. Do you know how much to use? Again, most of what I've seen says "fill the basket" or "I've used a good amount" but I haven't been able to find lbs or kgs unfortunately.

50 minutes ago, paul6057 said:

I suspect using lumpwood in a UDS, you'd struggle to maintain a controlled and low temperature unless your unit is really sealed air tight. I, like many, use briquettes in my WSM, and have been using Aussie Heat Beads, which you'll see mentioned a lot around here.

Fantastic, thanks Paul. I just looked up Aussie Heat Beads, had never heard of them. Do you mix them in with "normal" briquettes or do you use all Heat Beads? 

On 7/16/2020 at 3:41 PM, Mr Livi said:

Fantastic, thanks Paul. I just looked up Aussie Heat Beads, had never heard of them. Do you mix them in with "normal" briquettes or do you use all Heat Beads? 

I've never mixed them, as I've never had anything else to mix them with. Saying that though, I have recently used lump wood in the chimney to get the minion started.

12 hours ago, Icefever said:

Welcome to the forum.....heat beads just on their own,  but, there's always a but, you can mix them....I do.

Ice.

What do you mix them with Ice?

I really love Big K ACH15 catering grade.  I think it is amazing.  The burn time is good and the heat is amazing and consistent.  I have use a lot of other charcoal including other catering grade and they either burn out to quick or they small bits what you open the bag and that is just a disappointment.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Edit the 12kg bags have sold out, they still have the 15kg bags available, slightly more expensive than the 12kg bags per kg, updated my post accordingly

Big K Restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal 15kg - £17.99 +£2.95 Delivery  £40 free standard delivery, so you can get 3 bags (45 kg) for £53.97 delivered with this method

Manahome

Edited by sotv

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, sotv said:

Edit the 12kg bags have sold out, they still have the 15kg bags available, slightly more expensive than the 12kg bags per kg, updated my post accordingly

Big K Restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal 15kg - £17.99 +£2.95 Delivery  £40 free standard delivery, so you can get 3 bags (45 kg) for £53.97 delivered with this method

Manahome

Must be BBQ season for the mainstream, now £20.25 for 15kg😒

Hey,

I've been on the look out too.

I've just bought some from Big K: https://bigkproducts.co.uk/range/professional/

12kg of Apple Wood and 12kg Chilla-Chilla which works out at £37.98 or £1.58 per KG.

48hr delivery is free if you spend over £30.

If you're a bit fussier with regard to local charcoal and you're in the East Mids this guys makes it on his farm. Good stuff, nice smokey taste but not the cheapest at £7 per 4KG.

https://www.homefarmlogs.com/collections/3-coal/products/bbq-charcoal

Morning

Not used the Pro q ones but have used the Napoleon coconut briquettes, generally mixed with local lumpwood & Weber briquettes as like the results, roughly 60/20/20 % but not exact by eye/feel

Coconut briquettes seem to have a long burn time, good heat, previously mentioned a lot of ash as a downside but this has subsided as I have persevered when doing long cooks. 

15 hours ago, paul6057 said:

I've used the ProQ Cocoshell briquettes for a couple of years, but trying other things of late as I've been a bit disappointed with the smoke from the last box. I'm hoping I just got a bad batch, or it's to do with the cold temperatures I've been smoking in, but it's taking ages for the white smoke to clear with them.

Although never had a problem with them before so like I said - hope it's just a bad batch! I found they were a lot lower on ash then regular briquettes and get a good hot and long burn with them so they are worth giving a go.