ALDI KAMADO

andya

1 minute ago, ben_bristol said:

‘Morning BBQ lovers. I got lucky with Thursday’s stock at Aldi so now reading all about it here and related sites — great info thanks all, looking forward to my first cook. Can anyone advise if leaving the Kamado outside in a sheltered spot until Autumn, in the cover provided, is a bad idea? I’ve read that condensation can be a problem but rain cover should prevent that? Before I purchased my plan was to move it in and out of the shed to cook but I realise now it ain’t that easy. Alternative is perhaps to build a ‘bin shelter’ on the patio to provide protection or similar, but I’ve got a lot of DIY on already ... Cheers, Ben

Bin shelter is good idea, but make sure there's plenty of airflow to minimise condensation. Have kept mine in the cover, outdoors but protected from rain and it's been fine. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ben_bristol said:

‘Morning BBQ lovers. I got lucky with Thursday’s stock at Aldi so now reading all about it here and related sites — great info thanks all, looking forward to my first cook. Can anyone advise if leaving the Kamado outside in a sheltered spot until Autumn, in the cover provided, is a bad idea? I’ve read that condensation can be a problem but rain cover should prevent that? Before I purchased my plan was to move it in and out of the shed to cook but I realise now it ain’t that easy. Alternative is perhaps to build a ‘bin shelter’ on the patio to provide protection or similar, but I’ve got a lot of DIY on already ... Cheers, Ben

I built this to last a year but has lasted almost 4 years. Hopefully getting my garden done this year if I can book a landscaper. 

I'd recommend a wee shelter it does make a difference especially for me Just outside Glasgow. I'd make changes if I was building this again. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ben_bristol said:

I have had my kamado (different brand though) now for 2.5 years and it stays outside with just a rain cover, the outer coating is very resistant to weather. With the really bad rain we had (when there were floods in parts of the country) i got a little bit of condensation but just used paper towels to absorb it. Never had any previously though.

After a good clean it looks like new and I will eventually get around to building a bbq shack sometime...🤔

My original plan was to move it in and out of the shed but once I got it...yeah that aint happenin lol.

I just cover it when its dry and leave the vents open just a little to avoid mould (never had any though). Only time I dont cover is when its wet, I wait until its dried off before covering.

I would still recommend getting a shelter though...which is my plan...😳🤔

Happy cooking👍🍗

Edited by AdamG
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, paulinportsmouth said:

Anyone got any recommendations for replacement thermometers? I have an Thermapen but want one for the chamber to see where it's sitting.

I have a couple of Inkbird units, a 2 and a 4 probe. Decently priced (often discounted) and work well I find.

Evening folks - newbie here that’s just received notification that my AK is being picked up by the couriers (no delivery date yet). Have always used charcoal bbqs but first toe dip into Kamados and as usual I am going down rabbit holes looking on YouTube and forums for my soon to be new fixation!
Loving the tips on here - I have ordered my Alderline charcoal and I’m looking at temp gauges.

One question - if you had to give me one piece of advice starting out, what would it be?

41 minutes ago, Callmestevie said:

Evening folks - newbie here that’s just received notification that my AK is being picked up by the couriers (no delivery date yet). Have always used charcoal bbqs but first toe dip into Kamados and as usual I am going down rabbit holes looking on YouTube and forums for my soon to be new fixation!
Loving the tips on here - I have ordered my Alderline charcoal and I’m looking at temp gauges.

One question - if you had to give me one piece of advice starting out, what would it be?

My starting advice would be to try and undershoot your desired cooking temp and then slowly increase it until you reach it.

This will take longer to get to your target temp but it will help you to understand different vent settings for your specific kamado on future cooks.

It will also reduce the chance of overshooting....which can take much longer to cool down due to the efficiency of the kamado.

Eventually after a few cooks you will be able to set your vents, leave it for 60 mins and come back to a stable temp that could be well within 5C degrees of your desired temp👍😁

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, AdamG said:

My starting advice would be to try and undershoot your desired cooking temp and then slowly increase it until you reach it.

This will take longer to get to your target temp but it will help you to understand different vent settings for your specific kamado on future cooks.

It will also reduce the chance of overshooting....which can take much longer to cool down due to the efficiency of the kamado.

Eventually after a few cooks you will be able to set your vents, leave it for 60 mins and come back to a stable temp that could be well within 5C degrees of your desired temp👍😁

Thanks Adam appreciate the quick reply and advice 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hi There, I managed to order an AK on the 25th after refreshing the page for 2 hours...finding in appear in stock then go immediately out of stock before i could complete the sale. I kept trying on my way to work and after about 45 mins i was able to add to cart and purchase....result. Now I am just waiting eagerly to get it.

Could anyone who has already received theirs, please do my a favour and measure the internal diameter at the opening of the grilling area. I am wanting to get a YNNI divide and conquer system and I watched BBQ Life UK manage to get an 18" (38.2cm for their holder) one to fit but not the 20" (43.4cm for their holder). He had a 2019 kamado but I have heard of a few folk with the 2020 version who have managed to get the 20" to fit comforatbly. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Callmestevie said:

If you get it too hot its a bugger to cool back down. Bring up slowly start shutting vent about 40c low then your desired temp 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pharmeruk said:

Hi There, I managed to order an AK on the 25th after refreshing the page for 2 hours...finding in appear in stock then go immediately out of stock before i could complete the sale. I kept trying on my way to work and after about 45 mins i was able to add to cart and purchase....result. Now I am just waiting eagerly to get it.

Could anyone who has already received theirs, please do my a favour and measure the internal diameter at the opening of the grilling area. I am wanting to get a YNNI divide and conquer system and I watched BBQ Life UK manage to get an 18" (38.2cm for their holder) one to fit but not the 20" (43.4cm for their holder). He had a 2019 kamado but I have heard of a few folk with the 2020 version who have managed to get the 20" to fit comforatbly. 

Is this the measurement you want? Internal diameter.

DD93A3B8-265E-486D-BCA3-692112F4385D.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pharmeruk said:

Yes, that’s perfect thanks. Think I will risk it and order the 20” YNNI divide and conquer system as it is 43.8cm

that looks like it would be a very snug fit, are you sure you would get enough airflow up the sides?(i'm not familiar with the YNNI divide and conquer dimensions, just curious👍)

4 hours ago, Pharmeruk said:

Yes, that’s perfect thanks. Think I will risk it and order the 20” YNNI divide and conquer system as it is 43.8cm

I’m interested to hear how it all works out and whether you feel the advantages are worth the cost. I would need to convince SWMBO that an accessory is worth 1/3 the cost of the oven!

I do plan to buy a Smokeware chimney cap however but they are currently OOS :(

I will do. I would love to have a kamado joe, but can’t justify the cost to my wife. The ynni divide and conquer would pretty much give me the next best thing. A lot of the videos on YouTube I have watched have used the divide and conquer to great effect and benefit, so hopefully I will have the same. Also, depending on how you set it up, you can still use the AK grills and have 3 levels of grills, so could fit tonnes on.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Pharmeruk said:

I will do. I would love to have a kamado joe, but can’t justify the cost to my wife. The ynni divide and conquer would pretty much give me the next best thing. A lot of the videos on YouTube I have watched have used the divide and conquer to great effect and benefit, so hopefully I will have the same. Also, depending on how you set it up, you can still use the AK grills and have 3 levels of grills, so could fit tonnes on.

if its just the frame then sounds like it should be fine😁

I have a 'pro grid system' (monolith version) and it sounds similar with the grids etc fitting on the inside of the frame.👍

Thanks for that awesome pic.

Ok, so internal diameter is about 45cm. The overall diameter is 51cm? This may be useful for rotisserie options. 

What is the inner diameter of the fire bowl? I've been looking at baskets that are 29cm, 30.5cm, 34cm and 35cm. 

On YouTube search for Aldi kamado and proq and you will find someone who has the 20" ynni divide and conquer plus 29cm proq small basket. 

I would love a kebab rotisserie now for this. 

£350 + D&C at £120 is still less than the next cheapest unit anywhere and far cry from the KJ classic at £800/900 or monoliths at £1400.

I think that this is the best starter kamado to see if you're genuinely into it and it can work for you at home. Use it for five years and upgrade....or let it languish and never get another kamado again. Sorted. 

And if you're serious you then have to consider rotisserie and bbqguru fan controller haha. Slippery slope. 

It would be great if the monolith fire box and three tier system fit! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chrisah1 said:

Thanks for that awesome pic.

Ok, so internal diameter is about 45cm. The overall diameter is 51cm? This may be useful for rotisserie options. 

What is the inner diameter of the fire bowl? I've been looking at baskets that are 29cm, 30.5cm, 34cm and 35cm. 

On YouTube search for Aldi kamado and proq and you will find someone who has the 20" ynni divide and conquer plus 29cm proq small basket. 

I would love a kebab rotisserie now for this. 

£350 + D&C at £120 is still less than the next cheapest unit anywhere and far cry from the KJ classic at £800/900 or monoliths at £1400.

I think that this is the best starter kamado to see if you're genuinely into it and it can work for you at home. Use it for five years and upgrade....or let it languish and never get another kamado again. Sorted. 

And if you're serious you then have to consider rotisserie and bbqguru fan controller haha. Slippery slope. 

It would be great if the monolith fire box and three tier system fit! 

I got the Monolith pro series 1 due to the versatility and it was a better deal at the time than kamado joe classic 2 (never came across the Aldi kamado at the time). I got it due to selling all my old DJ equipment that was collecting dust (swap one hobby for another) in the loft otherwise I would have had to wait for another competitor to enter the scene due to price.

One thing I have learnt though is its all about the flexibility of cooking grids and skill level of the user. The manufacturer makes no difference in how well your food is cooked👍

The Aldi grill with all these extra options certainly seems like the best deal out of them all to me at the moment. If I was buying now then I would defo go with the Aldi kamado and either Divide & Conquer or Pro Grid System. If I wanted a 2nd kamado now I would get one instead of a Monolith Icon or Kamado joe junior😀

From what I have seen online (not seen one in person), the Aldi kamado does not seem any lesser quality than the 'Big brands' to me, nice thick ceramic which is what I consider the most important. Even the felt gasket in the pic looks exactly the same as the monolith one (which is superior to the original kamado joe felt gasket). I don't see why these shouldn't last a lifetime. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same factory lol😉😁

• Like 1