ALDI KAMADO

andya

Had another go at brisket, use a water tray underneath ( not sure if this was good idea) the bark never got really hard. Stalled at 158 after about 4 hrs, wrapped in foil with some coke, took it off at 205 about 1 hr in the foil. Had a good smoke ring, didn’t pass the flop test. What am I doing wrong?

8DA83B74-A744-4050-AA22-F5B295463BA9.jpeg

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 6:33 PM, guinnessaddick said:

Had another go at brisket, use a water tray underneath ( not sure if this was good idea) the bark never got really hard. Stalled at 158 after about 4 hrs, wrapped in foil with some coke, took it off at 205 about 1 hr in the foil. Had a good smoke ring, didn’t pass the flop test. What am I doing wrong?

I did a brisket today, ended up with a similar result to you. Mine seemed good when I took it off the grill, at which point it had a good flop to it, but it seemed harder when I came to carve it around 2 hours later.

Where did you buy your brisket from, and was it just the flat? Looks it from the photo. That's what mine was, and I suspect that was part of the problem. Possibly a bit too small a cut of beef (about 2kg) and not enough fat on it.

For me it's a bit of a catch 22 situation; I don't want to spend a lot on a brisket until im confident in my cooking method, but on the other hand, using a brisket that would normally be rolled and roasted (whether from a butcher or otherwise) with most of the fat trimmed off is unlikely to be give a great result and leave me thinking there's something wrong with my method when it might just be the meat....

Hopefully some experts will come along soon and point us in the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a crack in my firebox. It runs down below the gap in the top section of the firebox. The crack goes all the way through, top to bottom of that part. 

Obviously it doesn't impact the operation of the kamado, is it worth contacting Aldi and seeing what they say? 

As a fall back, is it possible to buy a new firebox anywhere?

On 6/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, guinnessaddick said:

Don't use a water tray. Kamados don't have huge airflow through them and as a result you'll end up steaming the brisket which won't allow a bark to form.

If you are worried about the meat drying out then inject it first. An Oxo cube in a pint of boiling water will make a decent stock. Or use something like a clear beef bouillon.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, Kentish Man said:

I've got a crack in my firebox. It runs down below the gap in the top section of the firebox. The crack goes all the way through, top to bottom of that part. 

Obviously it doesn't impact the operation of the kamado, is it worth contacting Aldi and seeing what they say? 

As a fall back, is it possible to buy a new firebox anywhere?

I've just had my firebox replaced for the same reason. Contact La Hacienda on the number on the Aldi warranty page and if they have in stock, they'll send it out. I may attempt a repair of the cracked one to keep as a spare. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, Kentish Man said:

Just joined the forum having read through the posts for inspiration, as a first time Kamado owner. Delighted to be back to charcoal having used a Weber gas grill for far too many seasons! 

Great tips on here, thanks to all for posting. Will get some pics up when I've cracked something particularly worthy - still experimenting for now... 

Edited by pmba
Inept!
  • Like 1

Fitted a Smokeware cap to my Aldi kamado yesterday, fits quite nicely (KJ size). Old daisy wheel took a bit of persuasion to get off, knocked it up from the inside using a big flat head screwdriver tapped with a hammer until loose.

Also got a new gasket kit which I need to fit, got both from BBQ and Smoke. Cap is sold out again now but you can register an email for a notification when they're back in stock.

1 hour ago, tedmus said:

Fitted a Smokeware cap to my Aldi kamado yesterday, fits quite nicely (KJ size). Old daisy wheel took a bit of persuasion to get off, knocked it up from the inside using a big flat head screwdriver tapped with a hammer until loose.

Also got a new gasket kit which I need to fit, got both from BBQ and Smoke. Cap is sold out again now but you can register an email for a notification when they're back in stock.

Pics????? I'm interested

19 hours ago, pmba said:

I've just had my firebox replaced for the same reason. Contact La Hacienda on the number on the Aldi warranty page and if they have in stock, they'll send it out. I may attempt a repair of the cracked one to keep as a spare. 

Great - thank you. I'll do that

1 hour ago, Kentish Man said:

Please excuse my ignorance, what is the advantage of this over the stock daisy wheel?

Rain/snow wont get in through the top, tapered vents for better temp control and you don't lose your vent settings when you lift the lid.

37 minutes ago, tedmus said:

Rain/snow wont get in through the top, tapered vents for better temp control and you don't lose your vent settings when you lift the lid.

Thanks - looks good!

My kamado is under shelter so the elements are less of a concern. The better temperature control is interesting, keep us up to date with how it goes

Edited by Kentish Man
Typo

13 minutes ago, Kentish Man said:

Thanks - looks good!

My kamado is under shelter so the elements are less of a concern. The better temperature control is interesting, keep us up to date with how it goes

Will do yes, got a rib cook planned for weekend so see how it goes. Had the cap off when lighting up at the weekend and the fire got going quicker than I had anticipated so the draw through in that situation is decent. Overshot my intended temp though so tried putting a pan of water in there to try and sink some of the heat away, seemed to work ok.