ALDI KAMADO

andya

Ok, so tonight's effort in pictures......

Well pleased with the results although could have gone another hour or so I think. Still too impatient!

Chucked some chili powder and garlic granules on top of the salt and pepper, tasted proper nice 😋

I apologise in advance if the pictures are mahoosive, I don't know how to resize them on here 🤯

20210714_140554.jpg

20210714_201301.jpg

20210714_202806.jpg

20210714_204708.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wolfylee said:

Wow they are dinosaur ribs, they look great!

Did they come out tender though and how were your temps?

Hi Wolfy, thanks!

They were pretty tender, not falling off the bone, but the texture was good. 

I managed to keep the dome temp between 240 and 265f throughout. The other probe was showing as 170f when I'd finished cooking them, but I wasn't too concerned with that reading due to others telling me to use the meat temperature as a guide and not to obsess over it.

Very pleased with the result, its the best thing I've cooked on the Kamado so far 😋

On 7/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Hi Wolfy, thanks!

They were pretty tender, not falling off the bone, but the texture was good. 

I managed to keep the dome temp between 240 and 265f throughout. The other probe was showing as 170f when I'd finished cooking them, but I wasn't too concerned with that reading due to others telling me to use the meat temperature as a guide and not to obsess over it.

Very pleased with the result, its the best thing I've cooked on the Kamado so far 😋

I've just pulled my 3 ribs out of the freezer.  I'm going to take them off the grill when the probe goes in like butter or hell freezes over, whichever comes first.  I don't care what time it is - they'll either turn to a carbon rock or they'll be butter-like.  Wish me luck. 😀

32 minutes ago, wolfylee said:

I've just pulled my 3 ribs out of the freezer.  I'm going to take them off the grill when the probe goes in like butter or hell freezes over, whichever comes first.  I don't care what time it is - they'll either turn to a carbon rock or they'll be butter-like.  Wish me luck. 😀

Good luck mate, what sort of rub are you going for and what wood to smoke with?

Patience is a virtue, so if you've got the time I'm sure they'll turn out well👍🏻

21 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Good luck mate, what sort of rub are you going for and what wood to smoke with?

Patience is a virtue, so if you've got the time I'm sure they'll turn out well👍🏻

I think I'm going for a simple salt, pepper and garlic powder rub - bound with american mustard.

Wood smoke I think will be just oak on this.

I'm going with 3-2-1 method again at 275C 👍 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Yes folks, let’s start thinking about separate threads for Aldi Kamado cooks etc.

Agreed, although it's difficult to categorise everything!

As I've gone so horrendously off track and deviated far from the beaten track, I'm probably not the best person to make any suggestions though......soz 😆

It's probably just me being a dick or lazy and not using the search facility properly 🙃

Cheers.

• Haha 1

I recently purchased the Aldi Kamado and would like to stare a copy of thoughts for people considering purchasing one themselves.

1, DO NOT even try and assemble the kamado by yourself, yes i know the instructions state its a minimum 2 man lift but i thought i knew better and after rupturing my bicep tendon lifting the kamado into the frame, i am now facing an operation to re attach the tendon in the coming week or so.... be warned, its bloody heavy :)

2, The gap at the front of the grill in big enough to drop burgers into so they fall down the side of the coal bowl and into the ash draw at the bottom :)

Apart from that, what a purchase.. couldnt be more happy :)

Just for info - I ran an overnight Low n Slow Pork Butt ( bone in- bought online sherwoodfoods.co.uk) - I was a bit worried about this as it was just under 7Kg . Took out my basket and filled the fire bowl as high I as I could and still get the heat deflector in place. Started the actual cook at 10.pm at a constant 265f and the Kamado ran all night without issues. The meat came up to 203F at about 10.am and I wrapped it and stored it in a cooler box - just as the guys on You-tube suggest.

Pulled and served it at 7.00pm ( wife's birthday party) it was still hot but would have been better heatwise at say 5.00pm.

I also ran a beef through the day which took 6 hours + for those that requested "well done". I havent yet got round to seeing the internals of the grill.

Got some amazing positive comments on the pork from our guests- though it was a lot of effort.

36 minutes ago, Allan said:

1, DO NOT even try and assemble the kamado by yourself, yes i know the instructions state its a minimum 2 man lift but i thought i knew better and after rupturing my bicep tendon lifting the kamado into the frame, i am now facing an operation to re attach the tendon in the coming week or so.... be warned, its bloody heavy :)

Ouch, that sounds sore!

I did mine myself, I ended up taking out what I could from inside and took the lid off at the hinge to make it more manageable. Was still blooming heavy at that so lifting the whole thing not shocked! Here's to a quick recovery and many good cooks on the Kamado.

I think the best way of splitting the thread up is to just simply start a new post when the subject changes and make sure the title is relevant and the search function will do the rest👍

If its specific equipment for the Aldi Kamado just note it in the title.

Cooks in a generic section since brand/equipment dont really matter.

Just my suggestions😁 (i dont mind that this post has gone on for so long by the way haha)🍻

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered the 20" divide and conquer from YNNI - they are back in stock after months of being out of stock.

People here have already said the 20" only fits the 21 Aldi Kamado(which is what I have) - I'll report back once I get it. I'm an expert on nowt though so I'll only be letting you know about the fitment etc. 

It's due in the next couple of days so I'll take photos.

I also have the proq basket so I'll let you know if it plays nicely.

Edited by wolfylee

12 hours ago, wolfylee said:

I have just ordered the 20" divide and conquer from YNNI - they are back in stock after months of being out of stock.

People here have already said the 20" only fits the 21 Aldi Kamado(which is what I have) - I'll report back once I get it. I'm an expert on nowt though so I'll only be letting you know about the fitment etc. 

Just had a look at one of those and although I have read good things about them I don't think I can justify spending almost £150 on one! Hopefully prices will start to drop as more people purchase Kamados! Will keep an eye on your posts to see how it works out for you 👍🏻

On 7/4/2021 at 10:14 PM, Kowleone said:

Yes Mate, the D&C fits perfectly. Get it from kamadobono it was the best price I could find. 

Does any metal sit snugly against the firebox? I've spoken with somebody from YNNI who advised not to get the 20" and to go for the 18" instead as he's had reports that the 20" D&C has cracked a few AK fireboxes due to thermal expansion.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:09 PM, wolfylee said:

Going to hold off ordering one until you report back - spoken with a guy from YNNI who said the 20" has cracked fireboxes. I've got a 2021 AK too.

35 minutes ago, Comacchio said:

Does any metal sit snugly against the firebox? I've spoken with somebody from YNNI who advised not to get the 20" and to go for the 18" instead as he's had reports that the 20" D&C has cracked a few AK fireboxes due to thermal expansion.

The D&C I purchased from kamadobono seems to have adequate room for expansion when it’s sat ontop of my firebox, it has about 2cm free where any expansion may happen before it would stress the firebox. I haven’t actually been above 300 degrees c yet, but I’m confident the D&C won’t expand enough to crack it. I’ve attached a picture. 

I can’t really comment YNNI model and even your firebox as even if we have the same Aldi year and size Kamado it may still differ slightly. Anyway, Hope this helps.73548629-7354-4FC0-9949-D16674926822.thumb.jpeg.67caa5617a11aa621b1f4fc606e7d8f7.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Kowleone said:

The D&C I purchased from kamadobono seems to have adequate room for expansion when it’s sat ontop of my firebox, it has about 2cm free where any expansion may happen before it would stress the firebox. I haven’t actually been above 300 degrees c yet, but I’m confident the D&C won’t expand enough to crack it. I’ve attached a picture. 

I can’t really comment YNNI model and even your firebox as even if we have the same Aldi year and size Kamado it may still differ slightly. Anyway, Hope this helps.73548629-7354-4FC0-9949-D16674926822.thumb.jpeg.67caa5617a11aa621b1f4fc606e7d8f7.jpeg

Thanks for this - do you have a link to the one you bought?