ALDI KAMADO

andya

9 hours ago, sotv said:

@Cruiser52G has bought one of these, from an earlier post, hopefully they'll see this now and help you with any questions you have

In the end I decided to return it, and ordered the charcoal basket from Kamado King instead, which has more suitable dimensions. Will receive it tomorrow so I will confirm that it fits alright! 

Also I see discussions above about how to correctly setup the cook, temperatures etc. I would highly suggest the YouTube channel "Smoking Dad Bbq" and this video in particular: 

It is aimed at Kamado Joe owners, but concepts explained are exactly the same with Aldi Kamado. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, vk2003 said:

Let me know how you get on. Hope you find the higher temps a bit easier to achieve.  

cheers

Vishal 

Cooked a spatchcock Jerk chicken - managed to keep the temp between 200 - 220 c without too much trouble. Turned out really well for a first attempt. Thanks again for the advice.

IMG_20220428_153406337_HDR-resized.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nbr_uk said:

Cooked a spatchcock Jerk chicken - managed to keep the temp between 200 - 220 c without too much trouble. Turned out really well for a first attempt. Thanks again for the advice.

Looks good! 👏 
Glad the advice proved useful! Happy cooking…

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 7:12 PM, nbr_uk said:

Had my first cook yesterday using the Aldi Kamado and did a spatchcock chicken too. This thread, YouTube links and the Inkbird were invaluable.

Set up the kamado, had vents fully open and came up to around 170c. Started to then get temperatures under control and kept to 200c to 220c like yourself.

Really enjoyed the process and the chicken was lovely.

Is there a recipe thread on here? Looking for suggestions on what next. Would love ribs but wonder if I should try something like a spatchcock again?

Edited by glentini
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

I had my first attempt at pizzas this evening. Couldn't  be happier with the results....

20220502_182505.jpg

20220502_183050.jpg

20220502_190200.jpg

20220502_190321.jpg

They look great! What temp and how long?

Going to try some myself in the near future!

• Thanks 1

@nbr_uk Hi there, I got the temperature up to around 330/340c.

I had the heat deflector sitting on the main grill with four 1 1/4" stainless steel bolts sitting in top of it to create a gap.

I sat my pizza stone on top of that as apparently the gap is important to prevent the base going black...must be true as the bases of the four I cooked were a little black in places... but what you'd expect from a pizzeria 🙂

I put them in for two minutes, turned them 180° and cooked for around another 1 or 2 minutes. 3 to 4 minutes for a decent pizza.

There are plenty of dough recipes out there, but I'll post up the one I used and the method if you like 👍 

Edited by Monkeybumcheeks
  • Thanks 2

Tonight's effort.

Jacobs ladder ribs.

Smoked over oak at 280f for almost 6 hours...should have removed more fat, but lesson learned for next time. 

I Know I'm posting a lot, but I've got the week off and I've had those ribs in the freezer since my birthday a couple of months ago....they had to be done 😄

20220503_153423.jpg

20220503_175453.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

@nbr_uk Hi there, I got the temperature up to around 330/340c.

I had the heat deflector sitting on the main grill with four 1 1/4" stainless steel bolts sitting in top of it to create a gap.

I sat my pizza stone on top of that as apparently the gap is important to prevent the base going black...must be true as the bases of the four I cooked were a little black in places... but what you'd expect from a pizzeria 🙂

I put them in for two minutes, turned them 180° and cooked for around another 1 or 2 minutes. 3 to 4 minutes for a decent pizza.

There are plenty of dough recipes out there, but I'll post up the one I used and the method if you like 👍 

Has anyone managed to get above 330C for pizza cooking? Mine topped out at that level when I tried recently, but would have liked to get it hotter.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSmoke said:

Has anyone managed to get above 330C for pizza cooking? Mine topped out at that level when I tried recently, but would have liked to get it hotter.

I could have gone up to around 400 quite easily TBH, but after the first pizza came out, I couldn't be arsed to wait as I didn't see what more I could gain?

51 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

I Know I'm posting a lot,

Keep the posts coming, its great to see what others are doing....by the way, dont forget to send leftovers my way👍😜:beercheer:

Ribs look great by the way

Edited by AdamG
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, YorkshireSmoke said:

Thats a perfect temp for New York style Pizza - I'd recommend this as the best recipe for that type of pizza.  

For same day dough, like 4 hours, this is the way to do it - the 'dough improver' really helps to develop gluten in such a short space of time - I also swap 10% of the flour for fine semolina(which I also use when I'm stretching my dough to stop it sticking - don't be afraid, be very liberal) 

I have spent years and years making all kinds of pizzas (and being a bit snobbish at times, 72 hour cold proving etc) but when all is said and done, the recipe shown in the video is almost as good as anything I've ever made but without the muss or fuss.  I've matured though and will admit that the video above is now the way I do it :)

• Like 1

@vk2003 

Thanks, although I had a thought...rather than hanging the skewers directly over the rim of the kamado, it might be easier and safer to put a spare skewer across the opening and hang the kebabs off it. I'll try this next time I think.

Anyway, here's the recepie....I always go heavier on the oregano and a bit easier on the olive oil....

1 x pork loin cut into 2 or 3 cm chunks.

100ml olive oil, the juice of half a lemon, 1 tblsp dried oregano, 1 tblsp vinegar, 1 tsp honey, salt and pepper.

Marinate for at least an hour or as long as you like really.

Cook at approx 230c for around 15 mins or until the kebabs start getting a little bit charred.

Serve on a bed of sliced red onions, squeeze some more lemon juice and drizzle a little more oil over.

Enjoy 🙂

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Monkeybumcheeks said:

@vk2003 

Thanks, although I had a thought...rather than hanging the skewers directly over the rim of the kamado, it might be easier and safer to put a spare skewer across the opening and hang the kebabs off it. I'll try this next time I think.

Anyway, here's the recepie....I always go heavier on the oregano and a bit easier on the olive oil....

1 x pork loin cut into 2 or 3 cm chunks.

100ml olive oil, the juice of half a lemon, 1 tblsp dried oregano, 1 tblsp vinegar, 1 tsp honey, salt and pepper.

Marinate for at least an hour or as long as you like really.

Cook at approx 230c for around 15 mins or until the kebabs start getting a little bit charred.

Serve on a bed of sliced red onions, squeeze some more lemon juice and drizzle a little more oil over.

Enjoy 🙂

Pics look delicious, recipe sounds great...and im drooling just thinking about your serving suggestion at the end haha 🤤🤤😋

• Like 1

The second weekend of use and its been a productive one.

Friday I did some chicken legs. Majority were done with a rub. As a tester I did a marinade for two of them. Soy sauce, garlic puree and some chilli flakes in a food bag.

Both sets were great but the marinade added something extra.

Today I did chicken wings. I scored the wings and then applied the rub. Whilst they were cooking I made a quick sauce on the hob. Frank's Hot Sauce, honey and butter. Added this 10 minutes before the end to allow a glaze to form. The wings were then thrown into a bowl with the remaining sauce.
These were incredible.

I then did another spatchcock chicken.

Getting used to controlling the temperatures now. Such a great way to cook. Wish I had got one sooner.

Looking forward to doing some ribs over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, glentini said:

The second weekend of use and its been a productive one.

Friday I did some chicken legs. Majority were done with a rub. As a tester I did a marinade for two of them. Soy sauce, garlic puree and some chilli flakes in a food bag.

Both sets were great but the marinade added something extra.

Today I did chicken wings. I scored the wings and then applied the rub. Whilst they were cooking I made a quick sauce on the hob. Frank's Hot Sauce, honey and butter. Added this 10 minutes before the end to allow a glaze to form. The wings were then thrown into a bowl with the remaining sauce.
These were incredible.

I then did another spatchcock chicken.

Getting used to controlling the temperatures now. Such a great way to cook. Wish I had got one sooner.

Looking forward to doing some ribs over the next few weeks.

The wings with the franks hot sauce remind me of the Franks hot chicken nuggets from TGI Friday's that the do/did for a starter👍

Tonight's cook - 2.25kg beef rib joint.

Simple olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper marinade.

Cooked with a chunk of oak. Kept the temp between 180 and 190c for around 1 hour 30 until internal temp hit 60 in coldest part of the meat, then rested for 30 mins under foil.

Tastes amazing!

Beef_rib_resized.jpg

Beef_rib2_resized.jpg

• Like 2