ALDI KAMADO

andya

23 hours ago, paulinportsmouth said:

Dipping back to a few pages and quite a few months ago, does anyone have a gasket replacement they can recommend? Still not got round to doing mine!

Tom from "BBQ Life" just posted a video about it, he managed to get his under warranty, even though he bought it used. Maybe worth getting in touch with Hacienda.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me in the direction of Aldi customer services to deal with a replacement Firebox please? Just unpacked my egg and it has a wide crack in it. Can't find an email address anywhere (so that I can attach photo) or phone number. TIA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 1:25 PM, Cruiser52G said:

Hi Graham, How old is the Kamado? Year? Thx

Hi again.

Cooked a pork loin last weekend, my first cook on a Kamado.

I added salt to the top, salt and pepper to the bottom.

It took around 5 hours in total.

I had the top daisy wheel open about a eighth, and the bottom vent only a half of the dots

It kept a steady 120°C / 250°F

When the meat reached 76°C / 170°F, I took it off to rest.

I then opened the top and bottom vents fully.

After around 30 mins I put the pork back on. The temp had reached around 287°C / 550°F

After about 20-25 the crackling was crispy.

It turned out better than I had expected, and it tasted great as well.

Regards,

Graham

20220328_105931.jpg

20220328_105955.jpg

20220328_163457.jpg

20220328_182638.jpg

20220328_184124.jpg

20220328_184317.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cruiser52G said:

Hi again.

Cooked a pork loin last weekend, my first cook on a Kamado.

I added salt to the top, salt and pepper to the bottom.

It took around 5 hours in total.

I had the top daisy wheel open about a eighth, and the bottom vent only a half of the dots

It kept a steady 120°C / 250°F

When the meat reached 76°C / 170°F, I took it off to rest.

I then opened the top and bottom vents fully.

After around 30 mins I put the pork back on. The temp had reached around 287°C / 550°F

After about 20-25 the crackling was crispy.

It turned out better than I had expected, and it tasted great as well.

Regards,

Graham

20220328_105931.jpg

20220328_105955.jpg

20220328_163457.jpg

20220328_182638.jpg

20220328_184124.jpg

20220328_184317.jpg

Nicely done Graham 👏Did you do the first low and slow stage indirect, and then the last 20mins if crisping up direct heat ? 

Hi Adam.

I just left the vents as I had set them up for about an hour.

I knew then it would keep to that temp.

I've read that it takes much longer to lower the temp than it does to raise it.

Hi Shosholoza.

I left the deflector in for the final 20 mins.

The high heat was enough to crisp it up.

If i had took the deflector out, it would probably have burned the underneath too much.

What I forgot to say is that it is best to put a foil roasting tray on the deflector or you will get the fat dripping everywhere.

After I took the pork off to rest, I added a new tray which did not have any fat drippings.

The ones I used were not quite big enough.

I got a 3 pack yesterday from B&M for £1.99

The size is approx 361 x 269 x 73mm. This fits perfectly

I will probably line them with silver foil so I can reuse them.

Regards,

Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First cook in the Kamado. Went for an easy one - spatchcock chicken. Beautifully succulent and so tasty! Just under 3hrs ~150C  Thanks for the advice on here folks. 

The only problem I ran into was that I tried to ramp up the temperature at the end, to crisp up the skin. However, struggled to get above 164°C.

When I opened the Kamado to clean it at the end, I noticed the lump wood was all burnt in the middle, but not around the periphery of the firebowl. Is that normal? Do you bias your firebowl fuel in the middle?

8DD7FF13-4BCA-4A29-B4CA-10D2A9FE0246.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 1:25 PM, Cruiser52G said:

Hi Graham

Just checking that you bought the "Large BGE and KJ Classic" size basket?

Does anyone know of an ash can that fits the 2022 model?

1 hour ago, vk2003 said:

First cook in the Kamado. Went for an easy one - spatchcock chicken. Beautifully succulent and so tasty! Just under 3hrs ~150C  Thanks for the advice on here folks. 

The only problem I ran into was that I tried to ramp up the temperature at the end, to crisp up the skin. However, struggled to get above 164°C.

When I opened the Kamado to clean it at the end, I noticed the lump wood was all burnt in the middle, but not around the periphery of the firebowl. Is that normal? Do you bias your firebowl fuel in the middle?

8DD7FF13-4BCA-4A29-B4CA-10D2A9FE0246.jpeg

Looks great vk2003!

How it burns can be slightly different each time, i have had it were its burned a line right through the middle and sometimes just one side. I would not worry too much about it. I always hand load the bottom layer before tipping the rest in to reduce the chance of suffocation (this has only ever happened once but it was due to awful lumpwood producing alot of ash and blocking the firebox grate holes).

If i want to increase the temperature quite significantly after a good steady temp, I always give the charcoal basket a shake with some welding gauntlets (a good stir would also help if you dont have a basket).

For example, in your case once I was ready to raise the temp, I would have took the chicken out to check the coal, stirred the coals after noticing the 'hole' in the middle and make sure I can see some of the holes on the firebox bottom (if its a very long cook i would add some more lumpwood if needed) . Then load grills and food back in and then adjust vents. Should take roughly 2 minutes total.

I only do it if im raising the temp by quite a lot, otherwise i dont bother. I only do it to guarantee its going to get hotter but its not required as it rarely struggles to raise temp on its own.

But considering its your first cook, I think you did a very good job!🍻

How did you find setting the vents for the first time? My first time I was paranoid I was going to overshoot massively....and it took me a while to get to cooking temp due to being too conservative haha

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AdamG said:

How did you find setting the vents for the first time? My first time I was paranoid I was going to overshoot massively....and it took me a while to get to cooking temp due to being too conservative haha

Vents were ok! Once I worked out that any change I made took several minutes to be reflected in the probe temp, I tried to keep from fiddling too much. 

The inkbird thermometer worked a treat aswell, and I had no problems connecting it to the Wi-Fi, so all in all v chuffed.

Vishal  

2 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

I tried to keep from fiddling too much.

This is definitely something that can catch alot of people out and create a game of 'chase the temp' 👍

Keep the cooks and pics coming....and dont forget to send leftovers my way😜

Adam

• Haha 1

Hi vk2003.

I forgot to say. Your chicken looks great.

This is my attempt last weekend.

I roasted some potatoes with beef dripping as well. They were really tasty.

The Asparagus didn't fare quite so well. I left it in too long and it went all mushy 🤦‍♂️

Regards,

Graham

20220403_154513.jpg

20220403_164950.jpg

20220403_165000.jpg

• Like 3

Hi again.

I did some breaded chicken thighs today.

I pulled up the skin and added salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

Then added a bit more to the outer skin. 

Left in the fridge for about an hour.

Then mixed them in flour, then egg wash, then a mix of breadcrumbs and slightly salted tortilla chips. 

I had the temp on around 176°C, 350°F until the meat temp was 71°C, 160°F

I then took them off and upped the heat until it reached around 287°C, 550°F

I then put them back on for around 20 mins 

These were really tasty.

Regards,

Graham

20220410_171136a.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Cruiser52G said:

Hi vk2003.

I forgot to say. Your chicken looks great.

This is my attempt last weekend.

I roasted some potatoes with beef dripping as well. They were really tasty.

The Asparagus didn't fare quite so well. I left it in too long and it went all mushy 🤦‍♂️

Regards,

Graham

20220403_154513.jpg

20220403_164950.jpg

20220403_165000.jpg

Was that a slow cook or roasting at 180 ish Graham? 

Hi folks.

I've managed to bag one of these and delivery is scheduled for 26th April. New to smoking so it's going to be an education!

Been reading the thread from page one and have some questions. I do like VFM so wouldn't be looking for gold plated options. Any input would be genuinely appreciated.

Thermometer - Inkbird seems to be the brand of choice. Any model in particular?
Basket - Amazon g For Large BGE & KJ Classic
Still a good choice?
Divide and conquer - KamadoKings - no stock 
The model on Aplliances direct Here is seemingly not a good fit. Any other options?
Charcoal - big k restaurant grade is mentioned a lot. Good place to start?
Wood - jacqui1treetops eBay has been mentioned but I stumbled on https://www.love-logs.com/
What's the forum consensus?
Kits - I spotted a mention of Steel Smokin kits and had a look on their ebay store. I'll be doing pizzas occasionally so wouldn't mind either a pizza stone or pizza steel. Any recommendations to which road to go down, stone or steel?

Personally, I would start slowly. Essentials really only (IMO):

- lump wood (yes Big K generally well thought of)

- Wood wool lighters

- foil dish to sit on top of deflector 

- inkbird IBBQ-4T is the (four probe) thermometer I chose. It has been brilliant. So useful to be able to have a grill level reading, as well as a couple of readings from the food, all available on my phone wirelessly. You can also set alarms so that when a certain temperature is reached, you’re alerted.

- Instant read thermometer

The next thing I would buy would be a Chacoal basket, but I want to make sure I’m going to use the Kamado sufficiently first. It’s a nice to have rather than essential.

I’m not worried about a divide and conquer yet;  I’d rather get adept at using the Kamado first, before trying to overcomplicate things. And pizza stones can be acquired relatively cheaply as a good starting point. I would consider getting a steel platter for doing smash burgers etc in due course, but as I also have a gas barbecue, it’s less of a priority for me.

Hope this helps

Vishal