ALDI KAMADO

andya

4 minutes ago, Comacchio said:

Thanks for this - do you have a link to the one you bought?

No problem. Happy to share my findings and experience so far!

Here’s the links. Unfortunately, it looks like it’s out of stock at the moment:

https://www.kamadobono.co.uk/en/media-griliai/daugiafunkcinė-dviejų-zonų-kepimo-sistema-media-detail

https://kamadokings.co.uk/multifunction-two-zone-grilling-system-media/

Please note, the 2 companies are actually the same, just one charges more for delivery(we’ll did when I ordered). Exactly the same product though. I know this as I’ve called them. Make sure you get the media range if you do order. 

The D&C is well worth the investment and the best thing is the original Aldi grill and additional rack can sit on the top for multiple levels. The deflector plates are almost twice as thick too!

Good luck! 

It came today - I've attached some pictures.

The things to note are:

The grate holder, for want of a better word, has an inch or more expansion room at the firebox level so there shouldn't be a problem there.

20210811_121628.thumb.jpg.ad78920bbabbff71704b87c638e046ed.jpg

It's much tighter towards the top of the Kamado so I'll be keeping an eye on how much that expands.

The deflectors(two half moons) are twice the thickness of the original.

20210811_121925.thumb.jpg.61b1cf863d4fdc019208f599f5b2b52f.jpg

The grates go on a little to snugly for the holder meaning you have to 'stuff' it in a little - not an issue when setting up but might be a PIA to adjust if it was red hot. It's not crazy out, just not perfect.

20210811_122105_01.thumb.jpg.aa9a47fed09cd661ef1d60cc258095eb.jpg

The thickness of the metal is the same or comparable to the original grate the Aldi Kamado comes with but isn't as heavy.

It IS nice to have a proper pan tray kept of the deflector.

20210811_121751.thumb.jpg.90445a7eb24ad5269d34a23ab8bedf57.jpg

1 hour ago, wolfylee said:

It's much tighter towards the top of the Kamado so I'll be keeping an eye on how much that expands.

20210811_122105_01.thumb.jpg.aa9a47fed09cd661ef1d60cc258095eb.jpg

Thanks for this - that does look fairly tight at the top. What sort of gap do you estimate there is at the 4 tighter sections?

• 3 weeks later...

1st attempt at Beef short ribs (Sainsbury's taste the difference pack of 2) on my Aldi Kamado. 

Trimmed & a dry rub of sea salt, black pepper and paprika with an olive oil binder.

4 hours at 140c with Hickory wood chips for smoking, took off 15 mins earlier as probed at 92c then foil wrapped While the burgers cooked.

IMG_20210826_115951.thumb.jpg.c07e5a02f23c47a7a900fb990d1b9fe5.jpg

IMG_20210826_134614.jpg

IMG_20210826_173453.jpg

IMG_20210826_173618.jpg

IMG_20210826_180611.jpg

IMG_20210826_180736.jpg

Edited by ade73
Other
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mini-3-month update: occasionally when energetically flipping stuff, small bits can fall between the AK and the grill, which then normally wedges between AK and the outside of the fire basket. Which means I gotta take it all apart because #reasons.

the top vent can weld itself shut from oily fumes/vapours when it cools down...meaning next time you go to use it, it becomes a bit of a mission to open the vent, so this bit needs more regular cleaning from my side.

two, admittedly, very minor gripes. The food coming off this thing is lovely though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bbqoldie said:

mini-3-month update: occasionally when energetically flipping stuff, small bits can fall between the AK and the grill, which then normally wedges between AK and the outside of the fire basket. Which means I gotta take it all apart because #reasons.

the top vent can weld itself shut from oily fumes/vapours when it cools down...meaning next time you go to use it, it becomes a bit of a mission to open the vent, so this bit needs more regular cleaning from my side.

Dropping the food down the side is a pain, something I tend to do quite often🤔 

I like to alternate between low temp cooks and high temp cooks. The high temp cooks clean off the residue on the top vent quite nicely👍

Pizza is a nice side effect that I get when I do a big clean haha

.yeah getting it warm solves the issue of the stickiness and gets it going again, but maybe I'm missing a bit of logic as to do that i need to shut the lid, which makes the fire poorly. And I'm normally trying to get the vent open when I'm starting the fire. A balancing act of holding the lid mostly shut manually to get the vent hot but keep the fire going has worked for me when its been particularly dirty and gummed up.
Its a minor gripe, no worries...I'll just plonk it in some hot water and washing up liquid once a month. Still reckon its a very low-maintenance bbq.

• 2 weeks later...

boo hoo! I have a crack in my firebox:-( There's a stress relief channel already created in the firebox, and the crack runs from there downwards. I aint even dun a pizza. Once things cool down I'll have to to see how far down it goes. If it isnt all the way (yet), then maybe a drill hole at the lowest point will stop it cracking further. I realise la hacienda/aldi will ship another, and I should probably go that route, but thinking about it, I think "another" will crack also. Wonder if the aftermarket fire basket doodah kick-ash will help solve this issue.  In terms of use, 3 slow cooks when new over the course of 2 weekends, followed by mainly normal bbq in the 180c-200c range on the built-in gauge..probably 50 uses in total.

thoughts?
(edited to add pic..the crack is hairline and mostly invisible when cold, but opens up as pictured in use...usually hidden by some charcoal naturally)

IMG_20210925_140952876.jpg

Edited by bbqoldie

2 hours ago, bbqoldie said:

boo hoo! I have a crack in my firebox:-( There's a stress relief channel already created in the firebox, and the crack runs from there downwards. I aint even dun a pizza. Once things cool down I'll have to to see how far down it goes. If it isnt all the way (yet), then maybe a drill hole at the lowest point will stop it cracking further. I realise la hacienda/aldi will ship another, and I should probably go that route, but thinking about it, I think "another" will crack also. Wonder if the aftermarket fire basket doodah kick-ash will help solve this issue.  In terms of use, 3 slow cooks when new over the course of 2 weekends, followed by mainly normal bbq in the 180c-200c range on the built-in gauge..probably 50 uses in total.

thoughts?
(edited to add pic..the crack is hairline and mostly invisible when cold, but opens up as pictured in use...usually hidden by some charcoal naturally)

IMG_20210925_140952876.jpg

Phone La Hacienda, the number is in the manual, they will send you a new one :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Callmestevie said:

Any tips for winter storage of the Kamado? Is it ok to leave it out as long as it has its cover on? I plan to use it on dry days so any advice would be appreciated thanks.

My kamado is coming upto its 3rd year in the winter (outside with just a canvas style cover) and i have not noticed any weathering at all.👍

Hopefully I will sort out a shelter of some sort before next year's winter.

I usually store it in the corner against the wall and fence panel to give it abit more shelter

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
40 minutes ago, Dodds said:

Still showing as available to add to basket surprisingly, every other time its came out it's been sold out within minutes

They must have a lot more stock than normal. 

I managed to order an egg chair at about 8.30, they normally sell out even quicker than the kamado and it would let me add a kamado to my basket. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, Adi dassler said:

This is the drip.pan. seems solid enough and came next day

20200514_124147.jpg

Does this pan then take the place of the deflector? Complete noob here, and have just had a 2022 AK delivered having missed out last year! Annoying that the price has increased, but so has the cost of everything else...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

Does this pan then take the place of the deflector? Complete noob here, and have just had a 2022 AK delivered having missed out last year! Annoying that the price has increased, but so has the cost of everything else...

No just put it on top of your deflector and cover it with tin foil. This is a drip tray and it will help stop flare ups and will also protect you ceramic plate. If you get too much fat on your ceramic plate it will smoke and eventually catch fire

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adi dassler said:

No just put it on top of your deflector and cover it with tin foil. This is a drip tray and it will help stop flare ups and will also protect you ceramic plate. If you get too much fat on your ceramic plate it will smoke and eventually catch fire

Thanks Adi; do you mean cover the deflector with foil, or the pan?

• Like 1