Knife sharpener

Diggerg

I’m currently using one called Anysharp  suction sticks to the table. Best one I’ve used so far, cheap too.

Prolly not the best if you have fancy shmancy expensive knives, but for general purpose they are spot on.

Edited by Sluggy
Stupid spellcheck

15 hours ago, markie_q said:

I have the same, I use it on my bbq knives,  for the kitchen ones I use a X type steel, you slide the blade through it... which does a brilliant job. 

Ice.

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, Sluggy said:

I’m currently using one called Anysharp  suction sticks to the table. Best one I’ve used so far, cheap too.

Prolly not the best if you have fancy shmancy expensive knives, but for general purpose they are spot on.

I also use this one. I'm amazed by it, it is really good. Doesn't matter if you use cheap knives or expensive knives. This thing will sharpen it.

I got it in Asda for I think 8 quid. 

I also use wetstones. I have a couple of double sided ones so i can work may way from coarse to fine. I find it quite therapeutic and a way to unwind. 🤨

I also have a homemade (not great, but does help) strop that i use. I use this as an in between top up 'sharpen' for the knives as well. 

Phil.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use a wetstone and I cut an 8" diameter, 25mm wide piece of MDF with a smear of Solvol Autosol metal polish on it, which I spin slowly on my Myford lathe to hone the edge, but I must invest in a couple of better quality knives. I bought a Sabatier a few years back, but have since learned this is sometimes just a generic name and doesn't necessarily mean quality ?

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, Sluggy said:

I use this on my cheap knives to quickly get an edge, but it's not for your prized collection. A stone everytime for them. 

Also, keep them out of the dishwasher. Seems obvious now, but I couldn't understand why I kept loosing the edge until my butcher pointed it out to me. The salt in the washer is corrosive D'oh! 

Cheers n Gone Nick 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bought my first whetstone 400/1000 with an angle guide. Watched a few youtube videos and looking forward to giving it ago, although a learning curve needed, so practice on some old kitchen knives first.

Not sure if I should have gone for a higher grit, but can always invest in another one if I need it.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been gonna build an industrial style belt grinder, beloved on some of the knife making forums you find on youtube for some time now and eventually got it finished thanks to the lockdown !

It's primary use is just as a general workshop tool, it shifts metal faster than an angle or bench grinder, but I also wanted to use it for resharpening the knives on our Jensen Woodchipper, so I made it so it tilts horizontally and with the angle table, I can quickly grind a new edge on them. The finest grit belt i have at the moment is 320 grit,, too coarse for a kitchen knife, but good for reprofiling a skanky blade.

20200421_220211[1].jpg

20200423_134149[1].jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David said:

Is this the kind of piece of kit they use on ‘Forged in Fire’ on Sky?

Yes that's it David, think theirs would cost a bit more than mine did though. I paid £100 for a new old stock ABB 3 phase motor and was given the VFD for free. I made the rollers from some ally I already had and bought steel offcuts from our local supplier, maybe had £45 in it for the thick wall box, the plates for the tables and the adjustable locking handles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have all sorts of sharpeners even diamond sharpeners, files, flat oxide, alli, wets you know it and oh steels. All are rubbish

Well not really true, if you dishwasher them you kill the edge and repeated dishwashing I swear messes the steal. Even my love Global x two I have are iffy at best never get an edge on them for long and they were £80

Never dishwasher your knifes

Need to grind the edge back and a steel, stone will do the rest