Diggerg

Knife sharpener

I’m currently using one called Anysharp  suction sticks to the table. Best one I’ve used so far, cheap too.

Prolly not the best if you have fancy shmancy expensive knives, but for general purpose they are spot on.

Edited by Sluggy
Stupid spellcheck

15 hours ago, markie_q said:

I have the same, I use it on my bbq knives,  for the kitchen ones I use a X type steel, you slide the blade through it... which does a brilliant job. 

Ice.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, Sluggy said:

I’m currently using one called Anysharp  suction sticks to the table. Best one I’ve used so far, cheap too.

Prolly not the best if you have fancy shmancy expensive knives, but for general purpose they are spot on.

I also use this one. I'm amazed by it, it is really good. Doesn't matter if you use cheap knives or expensive knives. This thing will sharpen it.

I got it in Asda for I think 8 quid. 

I also use wetstones. I have a couple of double sided ones so i can work may way from coarse to fine. I find it quite therapeutic and a way to unwind. 🤨

I also have a homemade (not great, but does help) strop that i use. I use this as an in between top up 'sharpen' for the knives as well. 

Phil.

• Like 2

I use a wetstone and I cut an 8" diameter, 25mm wide piece of MDF with a smear of Solvol Autosol metal polish on it, which I spin slowly on my Myford lathe to hone the edge, but I must invest in a couple of better quality knives. I bought a Sabatier a few years back, but have since learned this is sometimes just a generic name and doesn't necessarily mean quality ?

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 2:53 PM, Sluggy said:

I use this on my cheap knives to quickly get an edge, but it's not for your prized collection. A stone everytime for them. 

Also, keep them out of the dishwasher. Seems obvious now, but I couldn't understand why I kept loosing the edge until my butcher pointed it out to me. The salt in the washer is corrosive D'oh! 

Cheers n Gone Nick 

5 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

The salt in the washer is corrosive D'oh! 

That's another reason folks should not use it to wash their cars, if there's a stone chip and you don't rinse well the same happens.

Ice.

Bought my first whetstone 400/1000 with an angle guide. Watched a few youtube videos and looking forward to giving it ago, although a learning curve needed, so practice on some old kitchen knives first.

Not sure if I should have gone for a higher grit, but can always invest in another one if I need it.

• Like 2