ALDI KAMADO

andya

3 minutes ago, AdamG said:

Looks good, but would you prefer a reversible one for a griddle side?

I will have a look aswell and you can have a choice from a few if you want?

It would be great if you could look too. Would like it as big as possible. 

33 minutes ago, AdamG said:

Looks good, but would you prefer a reversible one for a griddle side?

I will have a look aswell and you can have a choice from a few if you want?

Just found this one. But concerned by the comment about it breaking in half. I wonder if its actually enamelled?

839802B0-2AEA-44C7-A596-A6A568F27530.thumb.png.8f972139fda1a55befa6a45becccee53.png

1 hour ago, Tigermad said:

Just found this one. But concerned by the comment about it breaking in half. I wonder if its actually enamelled?

839802B0-2AEA-44C7-A596-A6A568F27530.thumb.png.8f972139fda1a55befa6a45becccee53.png

That...actually looks like the same one I originally had lol😲

I did find this one...

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/18.211.58/outdoor-chef-18.211.58--barbecue-accessory?refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sgsUveiWE_dm&pcrid=581297292928&product=18.211.58&pgrid=138412873092&ptaid=pla-914068272927&channel=googlesearch&gclid=CjwKCAjwkMeUBhBuEiwA4hpqEFFyG6cygBSgW_rnJ_Aghp0eoqHye3F9B5QYbBjou6UBxuoDu97DzxoC_zoQAvD_BwE

What you think of this?

12 hours ago, Tigermad said:

I have that one from Asda and a couple of the pizza stones they do. Have had them for a number of years and no issues. The griddle can also be used on our induction hob which is a bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ade73 said:

I have that one from Asda and a couple of the pizza stones they do. Have had them for a number of years and no issues. The griddle can also be used on our induction hob which is a bonus. 

Thanks. I ordered it last night. Can’t beat that price. 

11 hours ago, AdamG said:

I used to have that plate on the outdoor chef bbq. It’s too big with the handles as well. I ordered the Asda one last night and pick it up Tuesday so will see what’s is like. 

• Like 1

I used to have that plate on the outdoor chef bbq. It’s too big with the handles as well. I ordered the Asda one last night and pick it up Tuesday so will see what’s is like. 

Now that you mention it, I think Asda is where I purchased it originally. If I remember rightly I just bought unplanned, it when I was getting other things lol.

I ended up using it for about 3 years on my old grill, should still have it somewhere.

Glad you got one sorted in the end. Send some pics when you do some😋

Thanks for the tip on the Asda griddle. I got mine yesterday.

Working today but have Friday and Monday off. Expecting good weather so the Kamado will be used all weekend.

I've been asked to make some ribs again. Also hoping to have my first bash at smash burgers.

Edited by glentini

I thought I'd let you know about a little upgrade I invested in, I fitted a KamadoJoe Kontroltower onto the AK (22 model). Bought from bbq-barn.co.uk for £69.90, fitted with an extra bit of gasket from amazon (I used this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RLBDBS4) to make sure it seals well. It's been working great.

A few days ago, just after getting the AK up to a steady (-ish) 230° to cook a spatchcock chicken on it, the rain started. It poured for the next half hour or so, really heavy rain. Temperature dropped a few degrees (presumably from being water-cooled from the outside) so I opened the vents a bit more to counter that, but otherwise it stayed steady with the raindrops steaming off the top of the tower. The chicken turned out great. I wonder how this would have gone with the old daisy wheel...

All 2022 01.jpg

All 2022 02.jpg

• Like 4

Heads up for anyone looking for a rib rack - I ordered this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B095HH517V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't cooked with it yet but it just fits on top of the grill in my 2022 AK, and the lid closes fine.

Seems well made, and is a fraction of the cost of the Weber one - works out at £6.99 when you apply the 30% off voucher.

Hope this helps :)

My firebowl has sadly cracked ☹️
I’ve contacted Gardenline who have said they won’t have any more firebowls until September, so I can either ask Aldi to replace it lock stock & barrel, or put up with it until they have them in stock

not sure what to do…

any advice folks?

Vishal 

21 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

I’ve contacted Gardenline who have said they won’t have any more firebowls until September, so I can either ask Aldi to replace it lock stock & barrel, or put up with it until they have them in stock

not sure what to do…

any advice folks?

Vishal 

How old is it? If fairly new you could get a refund and get a different Kamado. In my opinion there is a design flaw in these that they need to be fixed. Far too many people getting them and always in the same place with the slot. 
If the crack isn’t very wide people have said previously you could still use it until a replacement arrives. 

The daisy wheel on my 2020 AK has reached the end of it's useful life. It's got a bit corroded around the pin it pivots on and now doesn't sit flush, meaning I don't get the airflow control that I want. 

Could anyone recommend a replacement? Was thinking maybe the smokeware option for KJ (https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/smokeware/products/smokeware-vented-chimney-cap-for-kamado-joe) or a KJ Kontrol Tower (https://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/kamado-joe-accessories/943-kamado-joe-kontrol-tower-top-vent-kj-kt.html). 

Guess it might make sense to redo the gaskets at the same time. Are their any recommendations for the tape I should get for that?

Cheers in advance.

I’ve only used the AK22 a handful of times. The daisy wheel never lets me swing it out. I have to keep getting the whole thing off and wiping it down before it works. Is it also supposed to keep swinging back closed when you shut the lid after lifting it? Thanks

I’ve only used the AK22 a handful of times. The daisy wheel never lets me swing it out. I have to keep getting the whole thing off and wiping it down before it works. Is it also supposed to keep swinging back closed when you shut the lid after lifting it? Thanks

This is a common problem with the daisy wheel design on all brands (mine does it) and the reason why Kamado Joe and Monolith now use a different design.

There is a work around though. Imagine looking directly down onto the top of your kamado and you will see the 2 screws/pivot points on your top vent. Once your vent is set, make sure these line up in a straight line from the front (handle) to the back (lid hinge). You will have to lift/remove the top vent then turn clockwise/anti-clockwise to the desired position and then place it back on.

It takes more effort to explain than it is to actually do lol. It should only take about 5-10 seconds to make the adjustment. Hopefully you understand what I'm rambling on about haha👍😁

1 hour ago, Kentish Man said:

The daisy wheel on my 2020 AK has reached the end of it's useful life. It's got a bit corroded around the pin it pivots on and now doesn't sit flush, meaning I don't get the airflow control that I want. 

Could anyone recommend a replacement? Was thinking maybe the smokeware option for KJ (https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/smokeware/products/smokeware-vented-chimney-cap-for-kamado-joe) or a KJ Kontrol Tower (https://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/kamado-joe-accessories/943-kamado-joe-kontrol-tower-top-vent-kj-kt.html). 

Guess it might make sense to redo the gaskets at the same time. Are their any recommendations for the tape I should get for that?

Cheers in advance.

I have my eye on the smokeware one once mine needs replacing. Love how its stainless steel and no rain can get in. Seems like the best design to me.

I personally dont like the look of the kamado joe one since its powder coated. I also dont like the new Monolith one since rain can get inside due to the design.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vk2003 said:

not sure what to do…

any advice folks?

Vishal 

Have you decided what you are going to do yet?

13 minutes ago, AdamG said:

I have my eye on the smokeware one once mine needs replacing. Love how its stainless steel and no rain can get in. Seems like the best design to me.

I personally dont like the look of the kamado joe one since its powder coated. I also dont like the new Monolith one since rain can get inside due to the design.

Thanks - I agree on the powder coating - I'll order the smokeware one and let you know how I go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Thanks - I agree on the powder coating - I'll order the smokeware one and let you know how I go.

I was hinting to my wife about getting one but she would'nt go for it since my current one is fine haha

Would be good to know your opinion on it👍

1 minute ago, vk2003 said:

I haven't. I'm wondering whether to stretch a bit further, and go for a KJ Classic 1.

I'd value any comments/ advice...

Is there any dealers near by where you could check one out in person and see wether its worth the extra cost to you?

If you seriously consider a KJ classic 1, there is also the Monolith classic basic ( I own a Monolith classic) both come with the split firebox design and similar price last time I checked👍

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AdamG said:

Is there any dealers near by where you could check one out in person and see wether its worth the extra cost to you?

If you seriously consider a KJ classic 1, there is also the Monolith classic basic ( I own a Monolith classic) both come with the split firebox design and similar price last time I checked👍

Thanks Adam, will do. Is there much of a difference between KJ and Monolith? I'm somewhat ignorant. also, any idea of how the size compares to the Aldi?

14 hours ago, vk2003 said:

Thanks Adam, will do. Is there much of a difference between KJ and Monolith? I'm somewhat ignorant. also, any idea of how the size compares to the Aldi?

There are some great deals on KJs out there at the moment. I think the KJ is a bit bigger than the AK and the same size as the Monolith. 

https://www.appliancecentre.co.uk/p/kamado-joe-classic-kj23rhc-outdoor-cooking-ceramic-grill/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneuN8c2i-AIV0IBQBh1M0AjCEAsYGSABEgLgAvD_BwE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pittmab said:

There are some great deals on KJs out there at the moment. I think the KJ is a bit bigger than the AK and the same size as the Monolith. 

https://www.appliancecentre.co.uk/p/kamado-joe-classic-kj23rhc-outdoor-cooking-ceramic-grill/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneuN8c2i-AIV0IBQBh1M0AjCEAsYGSABEgLgAvD_BwE

Pretty much what pittmab said, which ever is the better deal is the one to go for since they are similar👍