ALDI KAMADO

andya

Finally bit the bullet and done a pulled pork shoulder today.

Got up at 06.30 to sort out the kamado and prepare the rub....the pork was dry brined yesterday and had been in the fridge for almost 24 hours.

Put in a load of apple wood, about 1:4 ratio with the charcoal and dialed in the temperature to 225f......then the wait began!

The temperature of the meat stalled at 160f so after 8 hours, I used the Texas crutch method and wrapped the meat in some foil and put it back in the kamado for another hour until the meat hit 198f.

The probe told me to remove the meat and rest it after approx 10 hours,so I did and I got to just over 204f and pulled it.

20220514_084910.jpg

Screenshot_20220514-133920.jpg

20220514_200913.jpg

20220514_201140.jpg

20220514_202015.jpg

• Like 2

Weekend 3 of Kamado use. Feeling a bit braver now and decided to try some ribs.

Followed this video https://youtu.be/ygtNjGYez0U

I used American mustard as my bind and Costco pork rub. At the end of the cook I put on some Sweet Baby Ray's before sticking it back in for 30 minutes.

The results were outstanding and already been asked "when you doing them again".

IMG_20220514_171555.jpg

IMG_20220514_181017.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 9:11 PM, Monkeybumcheeks said:

Finally bit the bullet and done a pulled pork shoulder today.

Got up at 06.30 to sort out the kamado and prepare the rub....the pork was dry brined yesterday and had been in the fridge for almost 24 hours.

Put in a load of apple wood, about 1:4 ratio with the charcoal and dialed in the temperature to 225f......then the wait began!

The temperature of the meat stalled at 160f so after 8 hours, I used the Texas crutch method and wrapped the meat in some foil and put it back in the kamado for another hour until the meat hit 198f.

The probe told me to remove the meat and rest it after approx 10 hours,so I did and I got to just over 204f and pulled it.

20220514_084910.jpg

Screenshot_20220514-133920.jpg

20220514_200913.jpg

20220514_201140.jpg

20220514_202015.jpg

Well done.  Looks, good, of course no need to wrap and let the stall go on naturally, its fine, it takes longer but it is all good

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 7:38 AM, AdamG said:

Chicken looks delicious!

What have you put in the rice?

The rice i threw together, its onion, pepper and chorizo (all fried) then add the cooked rice and seasoned with a couple of teaspoons of cajun seasoning. It was pretty  tasty :).

Edited by Dahenda
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, paulinportsmouth said:

Fire Bowl cracked yesterday evening, fired off an email to La Hacienda last night, already arranged a replacement bowl to be delivered, just wanted proof of purchase. Great service for an over 2 year old Kamado!

It worries me that we will be scuppered if it happens after the 3 years. I don’t understand why they crack if they have been treated the same way for 2 years. 

42 minutes ago, Tigermad said:

It worries me that we will be scuppered if it happens after the 3 years. I don’t understand why they crack if they have been treated the same way for 2 years. 

Its to do with the firebox expanding due to heat from the coals, this can cause the firebox to crack. It could happen at any time, on any brand (on first use or 10 years down the line). This is the reason kamado joe and monolith (possibly other brands?) went with a segment style firebox. They believe the segment style eliminates this problem by allowing the seperate parts to expand independantly to each other.

• Like 2

Also to add to the last comment....I have read about some people who had a "lucky" crack in their firebox that didnt affect the performance...but still claimed one off the warranty so they have a spare just in case 😁😁

Edited by AdamG
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 10:19 PM, wolfylee said:

Thats a perfect temp for New York style Pizza - I'd recommend this as the best recipe for that type of pizza.  

For same day dough, like 4 hours, this is the way to do it - the 'dough improver' really helps to develop gluten in such a short space of time - I also swap 10% of the flour for fine semolina(which I also use when I'm stretching my dough to stop it sticking - don't be afraid, be very liberal) 

I have spent years and years making all kinds of pizzas (and being a bit snobbish at times, 72 hour cold proving etc) but when all is said and done, the recipe shown in the video is almost as good as anything I've ever made but without the muss or fuss.  I've matured though and will admit that the video above is now the way I do it :)

Thanks for the tip.

Will be following this dough recipe this weekend. Planning on making the dough tonight and cooking tomorrow afternoon.

1 hour ago, Tigermad said:

Can anyone recommend a plancha or half moon griddle for smash burgers etc on the AK22 that doesn’t cost the earth.  I dont have a divide and conquer. Thanks

What budget do you have in mind?

Most of the ones I have seen are around the £40-£50 for each half.

Edited by AdamG

7 minutes ago, Tigermad said:

Up to 60 max. 

I added more to my 1st post sorry,

You can also find the full moon versions for a little more, however I think these tend to sit on top of the regular grids?

Another cheaper alternative if you dont mind it sitting on the regular grids is the square ones. A bit cheaper than half moons and work just the same. I started out with one for my 1st 3 or so years and then I eventually got half moon plancha's👍

Edited by AdamG
spelling
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AdamG said:

You can also find the full moon versions for a little more, however I think these tend to sit on top of the regular grids?

Another cheaper alternative if you dont mind it sitting on the regular grids is the square ones. A bit cheaper than half moons and work just the same. I started out with one for my 1st 3 or so years and then I eventually got half moon plancha's👍

Did you have a steel one or cast iron?

4 hours ago, AdamG said:

What do you think of this one?E2F6BA7C-DEF9-48B1-898C-8D3FF7E5BEFC.thumb.png.af4eb061c19219ad2bae832aadaf816e.png

15 minutes ago, Tigermad said:

Did you have a steel one or cast iron?

Cast iron. If smash burgers is your main goal for now then cast iron is your best bet. They store more energy than stainless steel and this is what helps acheive that outer sear/crust that smash burgers are known for. While you can get the same effect with stainless steel, you will need to make them hotter to counter the temperature drop from putting cold food onto it (due to not storing as much energy), although its more difficult to sustain the surface temperature.

As a side note chicken cooks brilliantly on the cast iron griddle/ridged side...those deep golden grill marks look so good and they seem to go more tender even though they cook pretty quickly.

I find crispy bacon is amazing on them aswell, my favourite way to cook it😋

This post turned out longer than expected, hope it helps and sorry if you know all of this already haha🍻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1