ALDI KAMADO

andya

On 6/8/2022 at 1:15 PM, AdamG said:

This is a common problem with the daisy wheel design on all brands (mine does it) and the reason why Kamado Joe and Monolith now use a different design.

There is a work around though. Imagine looking directly down onto the top of your kamado and you will see the 2 screws/pivot points on your top vent. Once your vent is set, make sure these line up in a straight line from the front (handle) to the back (lid hinge). You will have to lift/remove the top vent then turn clockwise/anti-clockwise to the desired position and then place it back on.

It takes more effort to explain than it is to actually do lol. It should only take about 5-10 seconds to make the adjustment. Hopefully you understand what I'm rambling on about haha👍😁

My screws are already in line with the handle and when top vent is swivelled completely open it still swings back when lifting the lid. The daisy wheel dial is ok, its the whole attachment that swivels back. 

32 minutes ago, Tigermad said:

My screws are already in line with the handle and when top vent is swivelled completely open it still swings back when lifting the lid. The daisy wheel dial is ok, its the whole attachment that swivels back. 

It sounds like you understood my terrible choice of words...however I have took some pictures just in case.

In the first 2 pictures my logo is facing the front but notice how the middle screw is not inline with the screw that pivots the big opening. This will shut the big adjustment everytime i open the lid.

20220610_201444.thumb.jpg.ada435e1034f984130c47e1c599779d8.jpg

20220610_201440.thumb.jpg.403cc2c05a6a6efa8653df4d7ae7ec9c.jpg

In these next 2 I have rotated the whole top vent so the screws are inline when its in the desired position. Notice also my logo is facing to the right. My vent keeps its position whenever the lid is fully opened (I always have a visual check once I close it though). Only thing that can shut it is if its knocked or bumped.

20220610_201512.thumb.jpg.018f9dc84ff69fc0f373b93ef4c2a017.jpg

20220610_201506.thumb.jpg.9a9a3ff0da18ab5ff218419eae02cde0.jpg

I hope this explains better than my last post and hopefully it works for you aswell....its only a workaround and not a proper solution but its better than nothing👍

On 6/10/2022 at 8:27 PM, AdamG said:

It sounds like you understood my terrible choice of words...however I have took some pictures just in case.

In the first 2 pictures my logo is facing the front but notice how the middle screw is not inline with the screw that pivots the big opening. This will shut the big adjustment everytime i open the lid.

20220610_201444.thumb.jpg.ada435e1034f984130c47e1c599779d8.jpg

20220610_201440.thumb.jpg.403cc2c05a6a6efa8653df4d7ae7ec9c.jpg

In these next 2 I have rotated the whole top vent so the screws are inline when its in the desired position. Notice also my logo is facing to the right. My vent keeps its position whenever the lid is fully opened (I always have a visual check once I close it though). Only thing that can shut it is if its knocked or bumped.

20220610_201512.thumb.jpg.018f9dc84ff69fc0f373b93ef4c2a017.jpg

20220610_201506.thumb.jpg.9a9a3ff0da18ab5ff218419eae02cde0.jpg

I hope this explains better than my last post and hopefully it works for you aswell....its only a workaround and not a proper solution but its better than nothing👍

Thanks for the info. I understand your photos but don’t think my Aldi one hinges the same as yours, it I’m just thick 🙂 

3 hours ago, Tigermad said:

Since Fogon is out of stock, can you recommend some lumpwood that you get some larger pieces and that you will get more than one 12 hour cook out of a full basket please? Thanks.

Not in any particular order...

1st is the cpl distribution (now changed its name to coals2u) blue bag lumpwood that alot of people seem to like. I personally think its good but I prefer others

https://www.coals2u.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal.html

2nd is EBC (EverBurningCharcoal). I have not bought from these for a couple of years as it seems they sell out quite often.  Only thing I didnt like was it seems to produce more ash...however it seems to perform just fine and the quality was very consistent

https://everburningcharcoal.co.uk/collections/restaurant-grade-charcoal/products/15kg-real-hardwood-lumpwood-restaurant-charcoal-for-bbq-and-restaurant

3rd is what I am using currently (ebc was sold out again) and 1st impressions is very good, a contender for my favourite one although I have only had 1 order so we will see what 2nd order is like.

https://www.log-delivery.co.uk/premium-restaurant-charcoal-10kg-blue-bags

Hope these help.

I normally buy 5 bags at a time since nowhere local sells decent stuff (and to make it better value once delivery has been added). Its all either instant light or tiny little pieces around here.👎 I get roughly a year out of one order amd I try to order out of season when demand is low.

Edited by AdamG
Spelling.....again

On 6/8/2022 at 1:40 PM, AdamG said:

Have you decided what you are going to do yet?

Yes. After much cogitation, I have decided to replace it with a kamado joe. Trying to justify a classic II to myself - just have to fudge the price for the boss. However she is sold on the idea of a kamado now…

3 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

Yes. After much cogitation, I have decided to replace it with a kamado joe. Trying to justify a classic II to myself - just have to fudge the price for the boss. However she is sold on the idea of a kamado now…

Took me best part of 5 years to get my wife on board with getting mine haha.

The justification will come once your cooking allsorts on it👍

Have you just decided or have you bit the bullet and ordered?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AdamG said:

Took me best part of 5 years to get my wife on board with getting mine haha.

The justification will come once your cooking allsorts on it👍

Have you just decided or have you bit the bullet and ordered?

Cooking on the AK has done all the hard work of selling the idea! 

Costco were selling it for 999.99 inc a cover. It’s out of stock- I’m waiting for a message back as to whether they are getting some more. 

My second option is 1099 including a cover…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vk2003 said:

Costco were selling it for 999.99 inc a cover. It’s out of stock- I’m waiting for a message back as to whether they are getting some more. 

Plenty of them in stock at Glasgow store. C'mon up and I'll give you a hand to carry it home 🤣. But jokes aside you may be able to get it in a local store. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hoogl said:

Plenty of them in stock at Glasgow store. C'mon up and I'll give you a hand to carry it home 🤣. But jokes aside you may be able to get it in a local store. 

Just a quick hop skip and a jump from me down in the south then🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 6/13/2022 at 8:46 PM, vk2003 said:

Cooking on the AK has done all the hard work of selling the idea! 

My second option is 1099 including a cover…

Xmas has arrived. Costco have just put stock back up on their website at £999.99 including the KJ cover.

Woohoo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vk2003 said:

Xmas has arrived. Costco have just put stock back up on their website at £999.99 including the KJ cover.

Woohoo.

Not sure if you have pulled the trigger yet but BBQ Land have the KJ2 on offer for £898 with the cover and you can use the discount code JACK10 to get an extra 10% off!!! Absolute steal, I'm almost tempted myself!

https://bbqland.co.uk/collections/kamado-joe/products/kamado-joe-classic-ii-18-46-cm-ceramic-charcoal-barbecue-grill-cover

Edited by pittmab
added URL
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, pittmab said:

Not sure if you have pulled the trigger yet but BBQ Land have the KJ2 on offer for £898 with the cover and you can use the discount code JACK10 to get an extra 10% off!!! Absolute steal, I'm almost tempted myself!

https://bbqland.co.uk/collections/kamado-joe/products/kamado-joe-classic-ii-18-46-cm-ceramic-charcoal-barbecue-grill-cover

I would be tempted myself...my wife would not be impressed though! Haha

2 hours ago, pittmab said:

Can't thank you enough for this! Just ordered from them, and cancelled costco. £808, takes me almost £200 further away from spousal danger 😜

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

Can't thank you enough for this! Just ordered from them, and cancelled costco. £808, takes me almost £200 further away from spousal danger 😜

Congrats on your purchase!

I wonder if Pittmab can resist the shiny temptation? 🤣😂🍻

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pittmab said:

Nice one @vk2003 hope you enjoy, did you order early enough for Friday delivery?

@AdamGTemptation resisted 😆 - if I didn't already have the Kamander then it would be an absolute no brainer!

With some of the silly prices out there for all KJ models, is there a series 4 imminent 😲

Could well be, been 3 years since classic 3 launched or maybe a new accessory to sell to a bigger user base?

Just now, vk2003 said:

Well the kj was delivered today. Have to say I’m impressed with the doped of delivery, and the delivery agent was really helpful too. 

All in all, Bbqland have really impressed me

Impressed you especially with that price😉

46 minutes ago, vk2003 said:

Silly question, but can the deflector from the AK be used as a pizza stone?

Aldi have collected the Kamado, but left the deflector by mistake

I dont see why not, my deflector plates and ceramic pizza plate seems identical in build/materials wise....i sometimes use my pizza stone as a deflector plate.

20220610_180541.thumb.jpg.207e3a6e270bdd77e500dccff22c06f7.jpg

in the picture I am using my pizza stone as a hotplate/hob. The metal underneath is a wok stand and the middle of the pizza stone is over direct heat.

• Thanks 1