Squirrel Anyone?

sotv

Was looking for some rabbit and found this website that was selling whole squirrels, skinned and gutted ready for cooking. Never even knew it was edible, but there are quite a few How to smoke squirrel videos on Youtube. So must be a thing. Think squirrel may be a bit to far for me though?

47 minutes ago, sotv said:

Was looking for some rabbit and found this website that was selling whole squirrels,

Seen the odd TV chefs do squirrel,  can't say I'd fancy it....we have doz of the little buggers all over the place,  they love the big Beech tree in the Rectory garden, they love the nuts. Did search about the nuts if we can use them?? quote..." they contain the toxin saponin glycoside, which can cause gastric issues if you eat a large quantity of raw beechnuts"  so thought I'd give them a miss.  🤔   

Ice.

I had some while I was working in the US a few years ago - they are apparently a staple woodsman meat. The US squirrels are quite a bit bigger than the ones we have over here though. It tasted like... not quite chicken and not quite rabbit. It tasted fine.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Icefever said:

Seen the odd TV chefs do squirrel,  can't say I'd fancy it....we have doz of the little buggers all over the place,  they love the big Beech tree in the Rectory garden, they love the nuts. Did search about the nuts if we can use them?? quote..." they contain the toxin saponin glycoside, which can cause gastric issues if you eat a large quantity of raw beechnuts"  so thought I'd give them a miss.  🤔   

Ice.

Saponin is ok for humans I believe . According to my Vegan mate 🤮

Edited by Raptor72

We used to eat loads of beech nuts  in the school playground as a kid, trying to make ourselves sick, because we believed that story and we would be sent home, never worked though.

Edited by sotv
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...