F or C ??

Icefever

I have to admit I'm thinking about going back to using  Fahrenheit,  we did it at school but then everything changed to Celsius years back can't remember why?  was it to do with the then Common market??
We sit and watch videos and most of them, along with recipes use F,  I'm always converting the temp instructions from F to C and it's peeing me off...and on the odd time nearly caught me out.

Some of you guys posts are in F, so some are still working in F... it's still alive & kicking.

Next time the Inkbird is being set on Fahrenheit and I'm going for it...see I just don't care.  m1224.gif

Ice.  m0155.gif

I am a child of the 70's so still use F if I see C I have to remember to double it and add 28 (not completely accurate) but gets me fairly close to the correct C to F conversion.

I am about 50/50 metric/imperial due to the conversion in the 70's prefer ml/litres and g/kg for smaller weights and quantities along with decimal currency, But prefer ft and inches,  lbs and stones and miles  for height, weight and distance 😀

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, sotv said:

But prefer ft and inches,  lbs and stones and miles  for height, weight and distance 😀

😂  I could have writen this mate,   bang on, this is part of the problem with growing up through the change over back then..

Ice.

• Like 1

Being born in the 50's and a child of the 60's you would probably expect me to work in F... but that isn't the case. I do a lot of cooking away from the BBQ and all the temperatures I use day to day are in C and so that is what I use. My FEC-120 works in F and so I have printed a conversion chart that sits next to it. I also keep a handy conversion chard on my phone in case I need it.

Don't forget that it isn't just the temperatures that need converting if you are using imperial measurements... the pint in the USA is very different to the pint in the UK - and therefore so is the quart and gallon.

I always use litres and grams as these are measures that are the same both sides of the pond and many US recipes are now showing both. Even what would sem to be a simple measurement like a Tbs of salt cannot be relied on as a Tbs of fine salt weighs very differently to one of flaked or course grain salt.

In the words of Reg in Life of Brian... "what has the Common Market done for us?"... (apart from giving our outdated parliamentary system a long overdue shake up 😁) it gave us consistancy in measuring things that is widely adopted throughout the world.

I will be hearing calls to bring back shillings and pence next... or maybe even groats - LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Icefever said:

😂  I could have writen this mate,   bang on, this is part of the problem with growing up through the change over back then..

Ice.

I've grown up with C, but cook in F, but also measure internal temp in C 😁

Neither are perfect, but I like imperial measures as they give far more option. 

Plus describing a couple of inches is much nicer sounding than saying around five centimetres

• Haha 1

I have adjusted to using F now, depsite being taught in C. 

There is so much information about BBQ/LownSlow that is in F, it is a pita to keep converting and increases chances of error. 

Don't ask me about weather temps in F, i have no idea, that's still C! :)

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

What did our ancestors do without thermometers and an open flame? They probably had the constitution of a rock.  If it looks right, smells right, go for it.

Of course this is my personal view and I strongly suggest you check to ensure your food is throughly cooked with an accurate food thermometer 😋

Cheers n Gone  Nick

6 minutes ago, Skagg2000 said:

What did our ancestors do without thermometers and an open flame? They probably had the constitution of a rock.  If it looks right, smells right, go for it.

Of course this is my personal view and I strongly suggest you check to ensure your food is throughly cooked with an accurate food thermometer 😋

Cheers n Gone  Nick

They had botulism. 😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jockaneezer said:

I mean, who measures fluids by a bra size

🤣🤣  never thought of it like that .....this was the reason for my OP we had feet & inchs, lbs & ounces, at school.....then we had to go metric because of the common market.  Now they say if we get Brexit we may go back to imperial.........🤬

Ice.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Do you think we can call Snickers, Marathon bars again. 🤣🤣🤣

Marathon Bars were actually originally called snickers, as they were named after one of the owners pets. They changed its name to marathon to market it as a healthier snack. 

That's an answer to the question you didn't ask 😂

• Haha 2