My quest for beef brisket in the UK

ExclusiveBBQ

On 3/9/2020 at 3:51 PM, Skagg2000 said:

Fruits of my labour.....

10hrs open smoker, 4hrs texas crunch, 10hrs wrapped & rested. Melts in the mouth, although i'd have preferred more smoke ring (used hickory & apple) but the flavour is balanced nicely with the SPG rub I put on it 24hour before smoking.

IMG_20200309_122408.thumb.jpg.3ea84a717b1c1fdead353d158f39b40f.jpg

IMG_20200309_122741.thumb.jpg.90649652cd970d56752c5a2f165d76d9.jpg

IMG_20200309_123558.thumb.jpg.f67a44cb3f027f631f2a4fb3ee172839.jpg

IMG_20200309_123407.thumb.jpg.6004b4318f09622743c24e93351398f4.jpg

IMG_20200309_122544.thumb.jpg.41d9c15d4a92b516addce3a0583d3406.jpg

The pictures don't really show how moist the joint was.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Nice! Did you approach it any differently due to being a grass fed joint? Did it taste any different or have a different texture to grain fed?

Wondering whether I might give one of these joints a go

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq/brisket-love/angus-hereford-briskets-ireland

I know this is probably blasphemy on this forum but buying british (or even Irish) beef is a heck of a lot better for carbon footprint, and grass fed is much better in that respect too.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, i've used Turner & George multiple times now. Can order Points, Flats or the whole packer. Ordered whole packer this week and it looks fantastic - going on the smoker tomorrow. The point i've bought and smoked before and turned out very well. They leave plenty of fat on which is good. Its the closer i've seen to what it looks like the americans can buy so easily!

Only issue is they are a touch pricier than the local butcher - £60.00 for a 6kg brisket, which then requires a bit of trimming...

https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=brisket 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:02 PM, dl8860 said:

Nice! Did you approach it any differently due to being a grass fed joint? Did it taste any different or have a different texture to grain fed?

Wondering whether I might give one of these joints a go

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq/brisket-love/angus-hereford-briskets-ireland

I know this is probably blasphemy on this forum but buying british (or even Irish) beef is a heck of a lot better for carbon footprint, and grass fed is much better in that respect too.

Ive cooked one of those and it was fine. A bit over-trimmed out of the bag to be honest and a little light on the marbling. I injected it with beef stock, especially in the flat and it turned out perfectly respectably. Very good flavour.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I've found a farm near me that sells their own beef, pork and lamb and have ordered a packer brisket from them. Had to explain what it was and include photos but hopefully it'll be great. Not picking it up until they get their most recent slaughtered cow back from hanging next week but I'll keep you posted. I'm based in Colchester.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Justin said:

Thx, let us know how you get on and the packer you get mate. There are quite a few members around this region that would be interested I think.  

Yeah, will let you know. It's my first brisket so not sure how much my opinion counts but will post photos of how it looks when I get it and obviously post smoking

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Try sherwoodfoods.co.uk, I just brought a 7-9kg full packer brisket from them, very good price £62.75 fed 15 of us with plenty leftovers.   It gets delivered frozen and recommends defrosting in fridge for 3-5 days.  Tasted great with just 50/50 salt pepper rub.  Cooked it overnight.  They also do short rib, pork butts, sausage, pork ribs as well.  Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys ive been getting into smoking meats for the past half a year or so. I bought a Pellet smoker (GMG Daniel Boone) and the thing is great.

So far ive done pork ribs, beef short ribs , Pichania , pulled pork shoulder and whole chicken. Ive never done a whole brisket yet (just a flat) which came out okay but not as tender or moist as i would like. Thought i would show you guys the buthcher i use up in scotland. Their a bit pricey but have a good BBQ selection. Check them out.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq

1 hour ago, Mowzy said:

Hey guys ive been getting into smoking meats for the past half a year or so. I bought a Pellet smoker (GMG Daniel Boone) and the thing is great.

So far ive done pork ribs, beef short ribs , Pichania , pulled pork shoulder and whole chicken. Ive never done a whole brisket yet (just a flat) which came out okay but not as tender or moist as i would like. Thought i would show you guys the buthcher i use up in scotland. Their a bit pricey but have a good BBQ selection. Check them out.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq

Davidsons have one of the best, if not the best, selection of brisket. Try the Miquel Vergara....they are absolutely superb!

15 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

Davidsons have one of the best, if not the best, selection of brisket. Try the Miquel Vergara....they are absolutely superb!

Indeed. That Miguel Vergara was the first brisket I cooked hot and fast. Had me doubting myself as it was ready to come off the grill after 4 and a bit hours. Needn't have worried, probably the best one I've done in my short smoking time.

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, Mowzy said:

There has been a video of this brisket being cooked in an offset smoker uploaded to youtube today. Might be worth a check out. The channel is called wilsons BBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9zrW8nmHJU

Very interesting watch. The flat looked really dry but the point wasn't bad. 

looks like you may be able to buy just the point.. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Nick9one1

Yes you can. You do not need to buy a complete packer. Ask your butcher for what you want. Alternatively go to your wholesaler (e.g. Booker) and look at one they have flat or rolled. You can tell from the end of the roll the thickness of the brisket.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wade said:

Yes you can. You do not need to buy a complete packer. Ask your butcher for what you want. Alternatively go to your wholesaler (e.g. Booker) and look at one they have flat or rolled. You can tell from the end of the roll the thickness of the brisket.

I meant specifically from Sainsburys. The guy in the youtube video smokes a whole Sainsburys brisket. Point is good, flat looks dry. 

Sainsburys sell just the point as per the pic in my last post. 

• Like 1