My quest for beef brisket in the UK

ExclusiveBBQ

3 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

Bobs family butchers in hatfield gets rave reviews from people buying online . and he is very experienced with british bbq teams meat supply 

Fantastic butcher, overnight delivery USDA, Canadian and Aussie briskets

• 1 month later...

Just been watching Aaron Franklins Masterclass series for Texan BBQ in 16 series, what an informative series of videos. Never been a big fan of brisket but wow does he make them look appetising. Really well filmed high quality series of prep and cook of Brisket and other meats. This man knows his stuff.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
53 minutes ago, Simon said:

They have a good choice but it is sadly quite expensive.

Fair enough, there are some pricey ones on there, but the majority are around the £10-12 a kg mark, which I thought was the going rate for a full packer Brisket? May have to do a bit more research then. 

Personally have my eye on the Australian Jacks Creek Brisket to cook over Easter for the family, unless I can see a better one, as never really had the equipment to cook a full sized brisket before.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:31 PM, sotv said:

Fair enough, there are some pricey ones on there, but the majority are around the £10-12 a kg mark, which I thought was the going rate for a full packer Brisket? May have to do a bit more research then. 

Personally have my eye on the Australian Jacks Creek Brisket to cook over Easter for the family, unless I can see a better one, as never really had the equipment to cook a full sized brisket before.

That will be a great brisket, probably quite a bit of fat to trim, render it down for roast potatoes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mick said:

That will be a great brisket, probably quite a bit of fat to trim, render it down for roast potatoes

Haven't rendered fat down in a long time, but sounds a good idea. I've used the crock pot method and 1/2 cup of water in the past, so will try it.

Don't suppose you have any tips for taking the silverskin off something like this. Never had much luck even with smaller pieces of beef, as it tends to tear and break off in small pieces for me and I end up giving up 😀 

The last nice brisket I bought was from my local butcher and that was about 10 quid a kilo. I put on the WSM overnight and hours more about 16 18 in all and wow, one of the best briskets I have done. Brisket used to be cheap but now it is a proper expensive cut.  I did a rolled LIDL version in an instant pot the other day came out nice almost pulled but with enough structure to just about cut , even better in sandwiches the next day when it was easier to cut  (the fat left being==giving it more firmness as it cooled)

I thin it is worth it especially if there are two of you and you can get  a dinner each and a lunch or another dinner out of it.  I think with beef cold cuts the next day is good,not so much pork unless it is a ham or gammon and not lamb

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sotv said:

Haven't rendered fat down in a long time, but sounds a good idea. I've used the crock pot method and 1/2 cup of water in the past, so will try it.

Don't suppose you have any tips for taking the silverskin off something like this. Never had much luck even with smaller pieces of beef, as it tends to tear and break off in small pieces for me and I end up giving up 😀 

For the silverskin a very sharp knife and don't over do it, no need to take it all off

Also I leave a fair bit of fat on the fat side 

Edited by Mick
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while....

I have this bad boy being delivered on Friday for a weekend smoke. 7KG, local, aged, grass fed beef. The farmer lives around the corner & I know the butcher. You can't more local that that.

IMG-20200303-WA0000.thumb.jpg.5b1a747044ee6d79353fa1f060fe22b6.jpg  

I'm also hoping to source half a heritage breed pig later in the month from some great lads near Okehampton.

https://www.facebook.com/thewilderonespigs

Keep you posted.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2

Quick question about rolled brisket

I was in my local Morrisons today and they had a couple of pieces of Brisket on the butchers counter, they were much bigger than the normal 1kg pieces you see on the meat shelves in supermarkets.

Although both pieces were called rolled and had string round them they looked like a point and flat piece and a good 5-6kg if combined.

Spoke to the butcher and they said it is a whole brisket but fat trimmed and then rolled, looking at Skagg2000 picture above I could see how that could be.

He got one out of the fridge to show me although vacpacced it came in at just over 7kg (£6.50 kg) couldn't see what the marbling was like due to it being packed and rolled, but the one on the counter didn't seem to have a lot, but as I said it was rolled, but not as tightly as the vacpacced one. 

Seemed quite a bit of blood in the vacpac, but if anyone has any experience of buying one of these and had any success, would be grateful for any feedback. As even if needed further trimming there was less than a kg of fat on the 7kg piece, I would estimate and to end up with 6kg of meat for £45 seemed decent value.

I can't believe it was just a flat end at that weight and must have the point there as well although looked like a 20 inch sausage, when rolled but would imagine or hope would turn out like Skaggs when unrolled.

I appreciate that proper butchers brisket may be a better quality buy, but as never cooked a whole brisket before, seems decent value to practice on if it is suitable to use? 

Hi Sotv,

All I can add is that the joint i pictured was just shy of 7KG (@ £8.00 per KG). I really struggle to get anything this big usually. They are typically 4/5kg. This would lead me to think that your rolled brisket would be a whole, trimmed joint. if it was just the flat then by the time you have added the point you would be heading towards 10kg!

Only thing i would say is' it's amazing how many so called butchers aren't really clear on what a proper full "packer" joint should be like. In the past I've had all sorts of cuts passed off as a full brisket joint. 

As you say, at £45 quid its probably worth a punt.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1

I will probably give one ago next month, I always thought rolled brisket was just flat end, but as you say it would be a very big brisket if it turned out to be a 7kg flat. It does sound and look like a full brisket trimmed and as I need to practice, should be a decent piece to give one ago

On 3/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, sotv said:

Quick question about rolled brisket

I was in my local Morrisons today and they had a couple of pieces of Brisket on the butchers counter, they were much bigger than the normal 1kg pieces you see on the meat shelves in supermarkets.

Although both pieces were called rolled and had string round them they looked like a point and flat piece and a good 5-6kg if combined.

Spoke to the butcher and they said it is a whole brisket but fat trimmed and then rolled, looking at Skagg2000 picture above I could see how that could be.

He got one out of the fridge to show me although vacpacced it came in at just over 7kg (£6.50 kg) couldn't see what the marbling was like due to it being packed and rolled, but the one on the counter didn't seem to have a lot, but as I said it was rolled, but not as tightly as the vacpacced one. 

Seemed quite a bit of blood in the vacpac, but if anyone has any experience of buying one of these and had any success, would be grateful for any feedback. As even if needed further trimming there was less than a kg of fat on the 7kg piece, I would estimate and to end up with 6kg of meat for £45 seemed decent value.

I can't believe it was just a flat end at that weight and must have the point there as well although looked like a 20 inch sausage, when rolled but would imagine or hope would turn out like Skaggs when unrolled.

I appreciate that proper butchers brisket may be a better quality buy, but as never cooked a whole brisket before, seems decent value to practice on if it is suitable to use? 

Take the vacpac. Price is right :)

Drain the juice, then wrap the meat in a couple of teatowels. Leave in the fridge. The meat will dry and mature. Maybe change the teatowels, but let it stay in the fridge for as long as you're comfortable. You should end up with something different from your usual vacpac wetness.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, Skagg2000 said:

Been a while....

I have this bad boy being delivered on Friday for a weekend smoke. 7KG, local, aged, grass fed beef. The farmer lives around the corner & I know the butcher. You can't more local that that.

IMG-20200303-WA0000.thumb.jpg.5b1a747044ee6d79353fa1f060fe22b6.jpg  

I'm also hoping to source half a heritage breed pig later in the month from some great lads near Okehampton.

https://www.facebook.com/thewilderonespigs

Keep you posted.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Fruits of my labour.....

10hrs open smoker, 4hrs texas crunch, 10hrs wrapped & rested. Melts in the mouth, although i'd have preferred more smoke ring (used hickory & apple) but the flavour is balanced nicely with the SPG rub I put on it 24hour before smoking.

IMG_20200309_122408.thumb.jpg.3ea84a717b1c1fdead353d158f39b40f.jpg

IMG_20200309_122741.thumb.jpg.90649652cd970d56752c5a2f165d76d9.jpg

IMG_20200309_123558.thumb.jpg.f67a44cb3f027f631f2a4fb3ee172839.jpg

IMG_20200309_123407.thumb.jpg.6004b4318f09622743c24e93351398f4.jpg

IMG_20200309_122544.thumb.jpg.41d9c15d4a92b516addce3a0583d3406.jpg

The pictures don't really show how moist the joint was.

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1