Woodsmoke 2019 - National Smokers and BBQ Weekend. Billing Aquadrome. 19-21 July

Wade

here's the recipe for pickled cherries

600g  cherries

500ml  white wine vinegar

250 ml water

200g light muscavado sugar

1 stick cinnamon

1 bay leaf

rinse dry and prick the cherries

put the remaining ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins, turn off heat and add cherries, leave for 3mins

then pour into sterilised jars, seal and leave for at least 2 weeks before trying

enjoy

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We are still working on it, but we can say that we will be moving venue.

We will be holding 2020 National Smokers & BBQ Weekend at Holme Pierrepont

The problem we are having is the date that can fully utilise our needs, Camping, Caravan/Motorhome, Pods and Rooms, yes this venue has Hotel Style Rooms,

BF1A4F0E-C598-4E30-B750-E01B3AF12ADC.thumb.jpeg.a705ee82224ca234cfd0363363f318c9.jpeg

The weekend we would normally pick 17th - 19th July 2020, they have a big event on and no rooms will be available.

10th - 12th July 2020 is fully booked, and they have their Ironman Event on the 24th - 26th July 2020.

So that leaves 3rd - 5th July or 31st July - 2nd August 2020, which is in the school holidays.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Justin said:

If dates do not work for a venue then pick another?  Then book this one super early for the year after? It looks nice 

Not as easy with this venue. They will not let you book until they have all of their Major Events Booked In for the following year.

I visited this site straight after this years event in July, and it was only last Thursday that they would talk to me about next year.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Looks like the power is with them not the customer....nice place. Maybe that is the issue

The power is certainly with them, this is the National Water Sports Centre, teams come from all over the World to compete.

The weekend we wanted, is fully booked because it’s Junior Rowing World Championship. I think our National Smokers & BBQ Weekend takes back stage to that.

Does this seem to be a repeat of last year for timings?? 

The 2nd Anglia and South East Tailgate is set for 8th - 10th May 2020.

The Midland is 5th - 7th June 2020. Which is a month, then we have the Woodsmoke 20 a month after that if June the 3-5 is selected?

I'm just wondering if folks will commit to 3 events in 8 weeks??? then we have around 12 weeks to the Northern Tailgate if that's held about the same time as this year?

Just my 2 cents.

Ice.

2 hours ago, Icefever said:

The Midland is 5th - 7th June 2020. Which is a month, then we have the Woodsmoke 20 a month after that if June the 3-5 is selected?

I'm just wondering if folks will commit to 3 events in 8 weeks??? then we have around 12 weeks to the Northern Tailgate if that's held about the same time as this year?

Just my 2 cents.

Ice.

The date for the Midland can be moved pretty easily if the National is held in the early part of July to say August, to spread it out if necessary  If it's held late July shouldn't be a problem as a big enough gap and tailgates are meant to be predominantly local events, rather than targeting a National base, although everyone welcome.

I know some people like attending multiple events, throughout the year, but from my own experience. I like to keep it local and 1 or 2 events a year. So the Midland and National would be all I would hope or expect to attend next year.

Just need to wait for Steve and Wade to confirm a date and go from there, if the calendar becomes to clogged up with dates close together.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sotv said:

The date for the Midland can be moved pretty easily if the National is held in the early part of July to say August, to spread it out if necessary  If it's held late July shouldn't be a problem as a big enough gap and tailgates are meant to be predominantly local events, rather than targeting a National base, although everyone welcome.

I know some people like attending multiple events, throughout the year, but from my own experience. I like to keep it local and 1 or 2 events a year. So the Midland and National would be all I would hope or expect to attend next year.

Just need to wait for Steve and Wade to confirm a date and go from there, if the calendar becomes to clogged up with dates close together.

Its up to you mate, we did move the Anglia back to early May to allow for more space between that and the national but with the national date maybe moving it does make a difference, good luck. I will do my best to attend the midland one. The Northern one is long way away from me here but I go because it is so much fun, Individual choices, 

Thank you for your help mate

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

Just my 2 cents.

Ice.

@Smokin Monkey This the problem with moving dates, We did think about putting the Anglia into April, But in debate with with @Raptor72 we settled on the same date as last year. I did make this point in the debate.  Personally I am not bothered about one a month in Summer and as Midland is a regional one as Ice says it is predominately for local people plus the ones that like to go to all.  But would it distract form the National is a good question. 

A month between Anglia and Midland is ok Ice, as it is regional. Lots of that came to the Anglia last year did not attend any others. We use it to develop a bigger recruitment in the region here.(thanks to @Raptor72 and @Quartermaster). I would of course encourage enthusiastic ones to come to the Midland one too.

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Thanks for the feed back.

They have already penciled us in for the 17th - 19th July 2020.

They have provisionally allocated us 8 Camping pitchers @ £20.00 a night and 5 Pods @ £33.00 which both are good prices, but no rooms, 

Great let's keep our fingers crossed then for the 17-19th that would be good. 

It may be a very good tactic to use/add at least 2 pitches that are setup as prepping/BBQing/sitting around chewing the fat areas. Keep it organised and it will look great and should attract folks to come over to see what we are up to.

Ice.

• Like 2

Ok folks the decision has to be made, 

Original date 17 - 19 July Site will be very busy as the Junior Rowing World Championship is being held, and no rooms available which could rule certain members out.

Other dates available 3 - 5 July rooms available but it’s a month after the Midlands, which would mean Anglia 8 - 10 May, Midlands 5 - 7 June, three in three months, might be a bit much?

This seems the most plausible date 31st July - 2nd August. Rooms available, but it is in the School Holidays.

Feed Back welcome, but let’s not get in to a Brexit situation! 😂😂😂

• Like 2