Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

11 minutes ago, goldencrunchs said:

That's essentially what you do when using one of the metal chimney thingies right? I was intending on getting myself one to help lighting

Not exactly but a chimney starter will help. The Minion method is to use a combination of lit and unlit coals to provide finer temperature control. You load your firebox with unlit coals closest to the cooking chamber and then add a dozen or so fully lit coals at the air vent end. You restrict the air flow over the coals so that they only burn slowly (which is why having a good air seal on the firebox lid is important) and you can then increase or decrease the heat of the coals (and therefore the cooking chamber) by opening and closing the air vent. Remember that quite small changes to the air vent position will have significant effect on the temperature and that it is easier to increase the temperature than it is to bring it back down again. Also ensure that there is a good amount of space underneath the coals for ash to drop and for air to reach the burn.

Here is a photo of a minion setup - though the firebox is a little fuller than I would use. You would place your wood chunks over the top of the unburned coals so that new smoke is created over time as the burn progresses.

Image result for minion method

Here is a blog post that shows several different Minion methods in different types of smoker - some more complex than others.

Here is a photo from one of my training courses showing the Minion method in a bullet smoker with both wood chunks and wood pellets in place

359791378_ProQMinion.thumb.jpg.172cc85b0ec1a1511f0b59fc06c53ece.jpg

The photo was for illustrative purposes just to show that you can use either. I use a lot of pellets (usually Hickory) as this is what is used in my commercial smoker - but the most convenient for you will probably be wood chunks. Chunks are smaller than logs and so are usually easier to use. Logs will work too but they can be a bit on the large side and are usually used when the wood is providing the cooking heat as well.

The aim is to cook using what is known as "Thin Blue Smoke", which is almost invisible. Thick billowing smoke over a long cooking period can  result in the meat tasting rather over smoked and tarry. The more wood you use the more smoke you will get as the wood impurities burn off. The amount of smoke is easier to regulate in a small smoker with chunks rather than larger logs.

17619_Hickory-Wood-Chunks_Side_REV.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=5017616_Apple-Wood-Chunks_Side_REV.png?fit=fill&h=950&w=1000&trim=color&trimtol=10&bg=0FFF&pad=50

This weekend why not use the opportunity to get to know how your smoker works as it is and how it can be controlled. Visit your local garden centre and get a bag of briquettes and see if you can find some oak off cuts from somewhere - or a bag of wood chunks. From the supermarket see if they have a small piece of topside or silverside on special offer and a couple of packs of good quality sausages (*** yes i did say sausages 🙂 ***). rub some salt, pepper and garlic over the meat and leave for 4 hours (or overnight) in the fridge. Over the weekend fire up the smoker as it is using the Minion method and practice trying to manage the temperature using the firebox air vent. The beef and sausages will be quite happy cooking at between 140-180 C and they will only take a couple of hours. Cook the sausages until they are 74 C internally and the beef until it is ~60 C (dependant on your preference for doneness). This will give you a baseline for using the smoker against which you can measure how effective your modifications are. 

A hint... Cooking the meat on top of a cake cooling rack placed over a roasting tray will save you a lot of mess from dripping fat inside your smoker.

I'll probably put a tray of water under the meat anywhere so that should catch the fat, but if not I'll do what you suggested. To be fair the Landmann actually has a big removable tray at the bottom. 

Question, since the lamb shoulder is apparently forgiving, could I do the same with the lamb shoulder? Or a whole chicken? I have them both already so would save me some ££. Then get some mods fitted for the harder cooks next weekend