Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

Mildly annoying, not a showstopper though.

It gives what appear to be accurate temp readings (judging from how perfectly the meat came out) and shows the temps for the, up to, 4 probes inserted.

There might be an Android system setting I can change to prevent the app from being shut down, potentially due to power saving configuration.

Still, I am happy with the device.  Just letting others know of the real life good and bad points.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JulesMCC said:

Mildly annoying, not a showstopper though.

It gives what appear to be accurate temp readings (judging from how perfectly the meat came out) and shows the temps for the, up to, 4 probes inserted.

There might be an Android system setting I can change to prevent the app from being shut down, potentially due to power saving configuration.

Still, I am happy with the device.  Just letting others know of the real life good and bad points.

That sounds to me like something that could be fixed in a future software update. Not really a dealbreaker though if your cook came out great👍🍻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AdamG said:

That sounds to me like something that could be fixed in a future software update. Not really a dealbreaker though if your cook came out great👍🍻

Indeed, not a showstopper.  I've changed the power settings for the app so it isn't 'Optimised' and left it on 'Unrestricted'.  You access this on Android by keeping you finger on the app icon until a small pop up window appears and then click on the 'i' for information at the top right.  We'll see if this resolves the graphs disappearing next time.

Screenshot_20230709_164553_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_164839_One UI Home.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 4:52 PM, JulesMCC said:

Indeed, not a showstopper.  I've changed the power settings for the app so it isn't 'Optimised' and left it on 'Unrestricted'.  You access this on Android by keeping you finger on the app icon until a small pop up window appears and then click on the 'i' for information at the top right.  We'll see if this resolves the graphs disappearing next time.

Screenshot_20230709_164553_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_164839_One UI Home.jpg

Well, that didn't resolve the mildly annoying loss of graph data!  Still happened this weekend.  Oh well, perhaps it does call for a software fix.

• Like 1

cheers for letting us know!

I used my old maverick et-732 for a cook at weekend after finding it in the shed. Receiver wouldn't connect so I had to just use the small screen on the transmitter (that's connected to the wired probe's)....no way of connecting to a phone or any device and certainly no graphs.... I used to think it was great a few years ago haha.

11 hours ago, AdamG said:

I used my old maverick et-732 for a cook at weekend after finding it in the shed. Receiver wouldn't connect so I had to just use the small screen on the transmitter (that's connected to the wired probe's)....no way of connecting to a phone or any device and certainly no graphs.... I used to think it was great a few years ago haha.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be. Remember the days when Asteroids and Galaxian were the latest in high tech graphics - or even Pong. Just as people are now coming back to play these, the trusty old ET-732s will continue to be brought out for use for decades to come. I have several of them and they get used regularly. I have not yet found anthing that matches the range of the remote.

Has anyone gone down the route of insulating their Landmann Kentucky?  i.e. blanket or jacket for the firebox or main chamber?  firebricks etc?

If I go down the route of making a jacket myself from suitable materials, and some Vermiculite fire bricks the project ends up costing around 240 GB pounds and that is not even counting my amateur efforts with a needle and thread!
image.thumb.png.62a4de59a5da56ce86f3ec848459b8f9.png

So, anyone else done some insulating
mods, apart from the gasket rope?

Many years ago I created insulated sleeves for my ProQ/WSM smokers and they worked well. I used similar materials to those you show in your picture, however I can no longer find the exact materials again online.

Firstly - the most important area to insulate is the smoking chamber - as it is the heat loss along the length here that results in the heat gradient experienced in these smaller smokers. Reducing the heat loss here will greatly improve the internal temperature stability.

I would not worry about insulating the fire box to begin with as this will have less overall benefit. 

The closest I can find is the Vitcas Ceramic Fibre Blanket (£24 on Amazon). This can be stuck on using the VITCAS Ceramic Fiber Adhesive (£15 on Amazon)

image.thumb.png.e5ebada9d5dbf282c6cc898ac1fe742c.pngimage.thumb.png.72569d7302baf701ca3625036ae6f6c4.png

The blanket I used has an aluminium blanket covering. In place of this you could use a simple foil blanket (£1.80 each) on the outside - also on the inside if you did not want to glue the fibre blanket directly onto your smoker.

image.thumb.png.7b12dcde078c613984be806789eab283.png

Another option would be to simply use Vitcas Aluninium Coated Insulation Flue Wrap (£24 on Amazon) - which already has an aluminium coating on one side. This could be wrapped around the smoking chamber giving several layers. This can be held in place using High Temperature Aluminium Tape (£6 per roll). If I was doing this again, this would be the method I would probably use.

image.thumb.png.c9cf96e266a248efb9fb82a77fa24630.pngimage.thumb.png.177f0cb7385f1e3fc8c11b5277805079.png

To help reduce the temperature gradient in the smoking chamber also ensure that you have a heat deflecter where your fire box meets the cooking chamber.

I hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wade said:

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be. Remember the days when Asteroids and Galaxian were the latest in high tech graphics - or even Pong. Just as people are now coming back to play these, the trusty old ET-732s will continue to be brought out for use for decades to come. I have several of them and they get used regularly. I have not yet found anthing that matches the range of the remote.

I remember, once it connected that was it, a solid connection that never cut out no matter where in the house (even at the front) i was. I also remember the last few cooks it was tempermental with connecting...but when it did connect it was almost instantly after switching on/resyncing. I did replace it with a CyberQ Cloud but could never bring myself to get rid of the et-732 since it is a good bit of kit. Did you ever have problems getting them synchronised?

6 hours ago, Wade said:

Many years ago I created insulated sleeves for my ProQ/WSM smokers and they worked well. I used similar materials to those you show in your picture, however I can no longer find the exact materials again online.

Firstly - the most important area to insulate is the smoking chamber - as it is the heat loss along the length here that results in the heat gradient experienced in these smaller smokers. Reducing the heat loss here will greatly improve the internal temperature stability.

I would not worry about insulating the fire box to begin with as this will have less overall benefit. 

The closest I can find is the Vitcas Ceramic Fibre Blanket (£24 on Amazon). This can be stuck on using the VITCAS Ceramic Fiber Adhesive (£15 on Amazon)

image.thumb.png.e5ebada9d5dbf282c6cc898ac1fe742c.pngimage.thumb.png.72569d7302baf701ca3625036ae6f6c4.png

The blanket I used has an aluminium blanket covering. In place of this you could use a simple foil blanket (£1.80 each) on the outside - also on the inside if you did not want to glue the fibre blanket directly onto your smoker.

image.thumb.png.7b12dcde078c613984be806789eab283.png

Another option would be to simply use Vitcas Aluninium Coated Insulation Flue Wrap (£24 on Amazon) - which already has an aluminium coating on one side. This could be wrapped around the smoking chamber giving several layers. This can be held in place using High Temperature Aluminium Tape (£6 per roll). If I was doing this again, this would be the method I would probably use.

image.thumb.png.c9cf96e266a248efb9fb82a77fa24630.pngimage.thumb.png.177f0cb7385f1e3fc8c11b5277805079.png

To help reduce the temperature gradient in the smoking chamber also ensure that you have a heat deflecter where your fire box meets the cooking chamber.

I hope this helps

Definitely helps!!! Thank you sir!!