Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

2 minutes ago, goldencrunchs said:

Not my brightest moment, nevertheless a piece of woodsmoke amateur history now.

Don't beat yourself Golden,  we've all done things and keep our mouths shut & look around just to make sure nobody see you..

Ice.   m01100.gif

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, goldencrunchs said:

In my head I was like ‘ah they might fall through that may as well put em on the bottom’

Not my brightest moment, nevertheless a piece of woodsmoke amateur history now.

Like Ice said, do not beat yourself up about it.

We are all good at telling people, hey look how good this looks or wow try this it’s great, but not quite as quick to shout about the failures.

I have made you a special award to mark the mistake of leaving out the Charcoal Rack in the Landmann!

0636019C-737A-427B-92F3-2D3F28CDA30B.thumb.png.9669b6b33e88c57fa91e871303d5ce95.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

WOOHOO!

Oh god I don’t know what to say, first of all i’d like to thank my mother for always believing in me, all my friends over at the woodsmokeforum who supported me along the journey to become, I can’t believe I’m saying it, rookie of the year! This award is going top shelf in my smoke shed👨🏽‍🍳 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just joined the forum and read through all 12 pages! I've just received my Landmann yesterday and can't wait to get it up and running. I'll be adding the rope and clamps before firing it up.

Just one question, which heat silicone can I use? Does it need to be a certain type?

Thanks

1 hour ago, General85 said:

Thanks Ice. That's the same one I'm going to be using. So I can use this for even where the firebox clamps the top and bottom half? I've read on here I need 6m...Is that inc all the joints or was that just for going round the 2 lids?

Not sure mate....I think I only had one packet???

Ice.

The wood you want for the firebox needs to be bone dry,  and you need to know what wood you have as all wood will impart a flavour of some kind. Try to get hold of a bag of kiln dry logs,  try just one in the Landmann and see what amount of smoke comes off it, I  know this sounds daft but any pit master will say you need just a hint of smoke from the fire....almost a fine blue mist.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Icefever said:

You have me thinking now??? not sure but if it takes 6mtr go for it.

Ice.

Haha. That's just from what I've read on this thread...I'm thinking it's easier to get the bits before I start putting it all together rather than dismantling it and adding rope/sealant. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this thread with great interest. Full of brilliant info. I wish I'd found it before now.  

I'm a Landmann newbie. I finally finished building it about 30 minutes ago. (My God!. Those instructions!) Even before first use, I am concerned about  the various gaps around the two chambers. Not a great fit / tight seal.  That's what brought me here, basically.  

You've heard it all before, I know.  I'm happy to follow all the advice about stove rope etc, I'll read back in more detail soon.

A quick question first, however...

I've read in various other places that it's important to "season" my smoker - Smothering in cooking oil and burning some coals for a few hours, basically.  I was planning on doing that today.    But should I do the modifications with the stove rope first etc?    What would be best for me to do?

Would appreciate any advice you can give me. The build was hard work. I don't want to spoil it now.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi,  Thanks for replying.  

That's great advice. It's exactly what I was worried about. Maybe I'm not so stupid after all.

I'll get cracking with mods today instead of seasoning. 

Thanks again.    I'll definitely be coming back to this forum. This place is great.

In my opinion, unless you're looking for perfect results right off the bat, seasoning isn't worth it. 

And the point is, unless you're a total pro, you're never going to get perfect results right off the bat with a brand new smoker - especially one that needs mods! 

Once you've tried a few cooks to get a feel for the thing, your smoker will be naturally seasoned. 

Just crack on I say, though each to their own. 

Good luck with your mods. 

• Like 1

I thought I had added text to the above photos but clearly not! Haha

I just finished putting mine together yesterday, the gaps between the lid and the bottom is horrendous! As you can see in the photos, there's a good 1-1.5cm gap, too much for me to add sealant. 

How can I fix this?

For whatever reason when I try to open the photo files it shows as a broken link, but I know how bad the Landmann can be,  I bought one also. 😂

Can you pop rivet a metal strip along the side then use that to stick the fire tape to??

Ice.