Landmann Kentucky offset smoker

HeyBertHeyErnie

56 minutes ago, Wade said:

A lot of people buy this type of small offset smokers because they look like archetypal American smoker. Most of them end up only using them as grills though and not for low-and-slow cooking. Large (trailer mounted) offsets work very well however the smaller they get scaled down the greater the challenges using them. You will still be able to cook great meat on your Landmann but you will just need to tweak it slightly to get the best out of it

Yes, the Landmann has lid overlap design which does not give a heat seal and this makes temperature control a little tricky and you will end up burning more fuel than you need.

From your photo it looks as if your smoker has been dropped on that corner which may have bent it slightly out of shape. Was it like that when you took it out of the box? To bring it back in alignment you may need to apply pressure on the opposite corner of either the bottom of the cooking chamber or the lid to ease it back into shape.

When it is aligned the cheapest way to improve the seal is by using some self adhesive stove rope (as mentioned above). Vitcas is one of the common brands for this (see link)
Stick the rope to the outside of the cooking chamber base (slightly proud) so that when the lid is closed the thickness of the rope will fill the gap. This can be done along the back too and the lid will tip back over the top of it. Not a perfect seal but it will be an improvement.
With the size of gap you are seeing, if you cannot get it closed more, you will probably need to fix a couple of lengths of angled metal to the outside ends of the chamber (alumininium angle from B&Q will be fine) to give the lid something to close against. You can stick the stove rope to this to help the seal.

Definitely the self adhesive stuff I’ve got some knocking about I haven’t used . But don’t buy the other stuff that you have to put stove glue on . It’s flamin messy . Still works but the self adhesive is a god send

Yes you will as the smoke really only penetrates the meat for the first 2-3 hours of smoking. What you will not get is the melt-in-the-mouth textures with the tougher cuts of meat like Brisket. This takes a long time at low temperatures to break down the tough connective tissue in the meat - similar to cooking in a slow cooker indoors.

The lamb will be a good place to start as it is quite forgiving. Make a marinade of red wine, rosemary, minced garlic, salt and pepper and leave the lamb leg to marinate in it overnight. Smoke it as low as you can maintain in the smoker. 110 C is great but you will be fine at 120-130 C. At 110 C it will take about 4 hours. At 130 C wrap it in foil after about 2 hours to stop it from drying out and cook for a total of 3.5-4 hours. If the temperature spikes to 150-160 C don't worry too much as you can always foil t a little earlier.

56 minutes ago, goldencrunchs said:

I'm starting to wish I asked you guys before purchasing the Landmann. Let's hope it's a fun learning curve rather than a regretful decision! I'll try get some stove rope from B&Q when I'm getting the ventilation metal. As long as I know the objective is to close off any gaps, I'm sure I can use some initiative and get it going! It'll just make the meat more enjoyable when I hit the sweet spot aye!

Look on Amazon, there's loads, but if you get stuff like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0772XYKVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1lqECb054R76G You really can't go wrong, you can cut it too length with scissors.

Bear in mind, sealing this thing up is really only an efficiency issue without getting bogged down into a whole 'how to smoke debate', it will still smoke things unmodified, it will just use a sh'tload more fuel and wood chips doing it :)

Where do you live?

Just now, Wade said:

That's why I asked where he lived, I'm happy to pop round and have a look if it's feasible :)

• Like 1

You really need briquettes to get the long even temperatures. At such short notice you will need to get them from a local garden centre or B&Q. The Weber briquettes are about £10 for 4 Kg from B&Q but you will be able get them (or Heat Beads) cheaper online when you have a little more time. In addition you will need some wood chunks for flavour that will sit on your lit briquettes. These are also available at B&Q ot garden centres. 

• Like 1